Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion
    #4623668 - 09/05/05 08:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hi,
I recently ask this on the Tyvek construction web site :

"I want to purchase a tyvek product but i'm not sure of their properties. I'm wondering if the wall wrapping tyvek and the medical packaging tyvek is the same thing ? Is there any difference between the 2 products ?"

Here the answer :

"These products are not the same nor do they have the same properties. The building wraps also have a UV inhibitor applied to them where the medical grades of Tyvek? do not. Plus they (medical grades) are not building code acceptable.

Tyvek? Weatherization System Products "are not" acceptable in the Medical industry due to added topicals. Medical grades are considered to be "virgin" grades of Tyvek?."

Now here an assumption. If the US postal service is using medical tyvek type to made their priority package wrap, perhaps that this can explain why some peoples have success with these tyvek (US postal/medical), when others seem to use some without success (wall wrapping). Only an assumption, I never try neither nor other.

Edited by wise_gardener (09/05/05 09:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekimikiri
Sometimes

Loc: Growing Outwards
Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4623879 - 09/05/05 09:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Cool...

I bet that question threw a DuPont employee for a loop... now you just have to ask the US Postal Service what type of Tyvek they use... :smirk:

The wall wrapping Tyvek needs to be purchased in BULK... They dont sell it in sizes that "we" use. Believe me... I got sick of going to the postal office to get free Tyvek envelopes so I went to a Home Depot and they only sell it in $50+ rolls... Unless people were nabbing it from construction sites, work, etc.

I may be wrong, but I dont think very many people here have used the wall wrap type...

I settled on just buying 50 large Tyvek mailers from a nearby Staples. Each one of them handles 6 wide mouth jars and they cost me under $20. I personally prefer Tyvek over polyfil because I find it easier to work with.

--------------------
Those who would sacrifice their freedoms for securities deserve neither, and will soon lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: wise_gardener]
    #4624054 - 09/05/05 10:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I did not find any Staples around here selling tyvek mailers. I just get inform and some sells wall wrapping tyvek to the size you ask. Not obliged to buy the whole package. This also give the advantage of having pure tyvek! (suposing that wall wrapping tyvek can do the thing) Postal one is mixed with paper. I just found the technical reference guide of medical tyvek :

http://medicalpackaging.dupont.com/en/applications/tyvekrefguide.pdf

This is clear that this tyvek is suited for sterilization! This is write "Tyvek have ben shown to meet packaging criteria for steam sterilization under controlled conditions (250f to 260f at 30 psi for 30 minutes) (the same thing that 15 psi for 1 hour) The guide is very detailed. Have some good pics too :wink:

I found the wall wrapping technical guide too! Here :

http://construction.tyvek.com/pdf/HomeWrapSpec.PDF

Farly less detailed this time, but I could compared some specifications :

-- Basic Weight

Construction Tyvek : 1.8
Medical Tyvek : 1.76 to 2.2

-- Strenght

Construction Tyvek : 30
Medical Tyvek : 35 to 46

-- Gurley Hill (TAPPI T-460)

Construction Tyvek : 300
Medical Tyvek : 22

-- Water Vapor Transmission

Construction Tyvek : 400
Medical Tyvek : 1500 to 1615

Don?t even know what is ?Gurley Hill? but it?s clear that these two tyvek is not the same thing at all. I have already seen in an old message on the forum that all tyvek was identical. This recall that we are never better served that by ourself! :wink: However, this not prove that house wrapping tyvek is not suited for sterilization, but I?m kinda suspicious now. Maybe USPS is using wall wrapping tyvek anyway! (probably far more cheap than medical one)

I just send a mail to USPS asking them which type of tyvek their using. I?ll try to remember to post a reply with the answer. Hope this help

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4624066 - 09/05/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The envelopes are not mixed with paper, they are 100% tyvek, which kind I am unsure, but I doubt there would be additives to it, no building codes to meet.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
    #4624067 - 09/05/05 10:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Damn, I just found that Dupont is making tyvek especialy for envelope. This is what USPS use. I'll try to find the technical guide and post an update

Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
    #4624120 - 09/05/05 11:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Don't find it. Anyway this prove that tyvek have some differences of properties between application. Maybe that envelope tyvek properties is more close of medical one than from wall wrapping one. With all the good comments I receive from it, he sould at least have the nessecary one. If somoene ever try the wall one, please give some sterilization/contam results. I'll try to buy some fed ex envelope now, I don't trust the construction stuff anymore!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4624123 - 09/05/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

No need to buy the envelopes, theyre free, even delivered to your house.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinegoofy98
Heart of ahustler wrist ofa chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: next door
Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4624949 - 09/06/05 11:23 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i just buy tyvex off ebay. 5 dollars for 9 square feet. People buy rolls cut it up and sell it on ebay. It's the house wrap stuff. never had any problems with it following Agars method except that i use the plastic canning lids from mycofactory with 1/4 inch hole drilled in the middle.

OfflineNettle Foxcelot
Crazed Village Mountain Witch
Loc: up yander
Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: scatmanrav]
    #16077509 - 04/11/12 10:45 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Please direct me to the website where I can have these envelopes sent to my house.

Thanks.

OfflineAsuraS
Yeah Baby

Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: Nettle Foxcelot]
    #16077798 - 04/11/12 11:35 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nettle Foxcelot said:
Please direct me to the website where I can have these envelopes sent to my house.

Thanks.

Mod edit: link removed.  Never link from here to there.

Edited by RogerRabbit (04/12/12 12:27 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #16078067 - 04/12/12 12:26 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wise_gardener said:
Now here an assumption. If the US postal service is using medical tyvek type to made their priority package wrap, perhaps that this can explain why some peoples have success with these tyvek (US postal/medical), when others seem to use some without success (wall wrapping). Only an assumption, I never try neither nor other.

post office tyvek is not medical grade, nor is it suitable as filter material.  When it works, it's in spite of its use, not because of it.  Post office tyvek is very thin, and distorts in the pressure cooker, opening up some pores and closing off others.

Use medical grade tyvek, cut from coveralls.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleDeathSpider
the living dead girl
Female User Gallery

Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16078329 - 04/12/12 01:35 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Gurley Hill is a measurement used to determine the porosity of the sample by how much time it takes for a certain amount of air to pass through the sample.

edit:didnt notice til now that this is a six year old topic

Edited by DeathSpider (04/12/12 02:11 AM)

OfflinePocketRevolution
Stranger
    #16078380 - 04/12/12 01:55 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I used Tyvek homewrap for a very long time.  Never used any other kind, in fact.  I normally used two layers, one cut to the size of a jar lid, the other big enough to protrude from under the threads of the ring.  With only one, my top layer of rye tended to dry out.

It will endure PCing at 15 PSI and can be reused a few times.

I'd like to know where you get tyvek overalls.  I've never seen them anywhere.

OfflineNettle Foxcelot
Crazed Village Mountain Witch

Loc: up yander
Re: Medical tyvek vs. Wall wrapping tyvek - Properties discussion [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #16225123 - 05/13/12 05:31 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you!!

--------------------
"No traitor to witch, no traitor to wolf!"
"It wont be the witches that are burning this time!"
-BlackBird Raum

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation