Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblegotyerback
SpiritualAdvisor
Female User Gallery

Massive Overlay - Help!
    #4623264 - 09/05/05 06:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I got good results from The Little Guys spores. The Z strain grew fast. Transferred jars to bags. Transferred the bags to straw and manure mix. Now I have, no kidding, 5 rubbermaid tubs full of colonized substrate.

2 of the tubs I cased and the mycelium just ripped right through the casing.
3 more tubs I have not cased and they are 90% grown.

I bought one of those Tropicaire humidifiers from one of our sponsors here; it uses the fishtank air pump. I have it split (with a splitter) between the 5 tubs.

It is warm where I live so the room temp is 80 degrees all the time. Sometimes a little warmer. The room is a little warm because I took a HEPA filter and covered the air duct with it.

The tubs that I cased have those flourescent light diffusers on top - and the natural sunlight that gets in the room is the light source. It is really not dark or super light, normal room light.

I can tell you the humidity is high in these tubs! I wipe off water now and then. The tubs that are cased have water droplets on top of the mycelium. That stuff grew through the casing so fast I was stunned.

What should I do to get them to pin? Adjusting the temperature will be difficult because I would have to crank the A/C way down. Can I put a garbage bag of ice on top to shock or something crazy like that?

Your input will be WAY appreciated.

By the way I have 5 more bags of almost fully colonized spawn. Each bag is probably 4 quarts or so.

This is my first try at the shrooms; as you can see I am going for broke. I think a lot of people here would probably be interested in my story, just from the volume aspect. Obviously I have lots to learn, but if I get even a small part of a shitload of spawn to become shrooms, I will have something to use.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Massive Overlay - Help! [Re: gotyerback]
    #4623367 - 09/05/05 07:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok I just got over the same problem, it was the temp what I did was close off half of the vents for ac in my house and set my fruiting chamber that has grown into a martha under an open vent this cuts down on ac usage.
I have awesome pinsets now find a way to lower temp I have great results with 74 degrees but I have to leave my casings in the incubator for a couple extra days because the mycelium drops 8 degrees and halts to form hypahae and form premordia, my trays pin in 4-5 days now because of fruiting temp.

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Massive Overlay - Help! [Re: gotyerback]
    #4623677 - 09/05/05 08:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

What should I do to get them to pin? Adjusting the temperature will be difficult because I would have to crank the A/C way down. Can I put a garbage bag of ice on top to shock or something crazy like that?

Your input will be WAY appreciated

Sounds like it didn't wanna fruit yet. Its possible your caseing layer was a tad light. If it was mine I would re-case the top, toss em' back in the dark, inccubaing 24-72 hours (depending on growth rate)

It should be getting cooler as the season goes by, but you might just have to lower your AC a tad (not WAY down) till then.. I do that in conjunctoin with a slight raise in the inc chamber temp, maybe 1-3 degrees for a day or two before re-birthing.

As with the lighting, I just let the sun do that, it lights my room up in the morning, and it gets dark at night - so I think your good on those. I don't use diffusers though, havn't had a problem yet.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (09/05/05 08:50 PM)

Invisiblegotyerback
SpiritualAdvisor
Female User Gallery

Re: Massive Overlay - Help! [Re: Civ]
    #4624720 - 09/06/05 09:09 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the input.

What I have done is to disconnect the humidifier portion of the terrarium air pump and just pump room air into the tubs. The condensation on the tub walls looks much better now. I can't tell the Rh until I return my burnt out gauge.

Good idea on closing off A/C vents. Will be doing that now....done.
I am also pulling a trick I learned in Milwaukee. They can keep a quarter barrel of beer outside, but if you run the hose through ice, the beer comes out of the tap cold. I will run my air hose through some ice for a few days and check the temps.

Civ - Would you just pile more casing on top of your overlay or scrape first? The overlay is all fluffy and looks hungry now.

I did some midnight post reading and it seems like the temps need adjustment like you say. I prefer to do my own research rather than run to you all for help right away. Hopefully these tubs will still fruit. Just a little panicky now because I have about 50 pounds of spawn I need to fruit.

thanks!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation