Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFungusBoi
Hedonist
Male
Aminita Muscaria in Northern Michigan?
    #4621957 - 09/05/05 11:13 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

hi all! i was mushroom hunting in Port Austin, Michigan over the weekend, and found a TON of what look to be aminita muscaria, only the caps are yellow instead of red. they were growing in a very well shaded forest, where all the birch trees have been killed by a fairly recent disease, and are all now rotting on the floor. they did not appear to be growing directly off of any roots, but it's pretty hard to tell with the tangle of the forest floor what was going on beneath the surface.

they were fairly large mushies, from probably 3 inches tall at the least, up to 6 or 7 inches maxed out. their stems were thick, maybe one inch for the taller ones. i BELIEVE they had white gills. they smelled mushroomy, i guess, nothing really distinctive about them.

there's an old man up there who hunts mushrooms (to eat, i DOUBT he trips!), and does it by TASTE (yeah, he's nuts...VietNam war vet, all around tough guy), and when i gave them to him, he said they were no good, but tasted them nonetheless, and said they didn't taste bitter (his qualification for throwing the mushy away), but they did taste "funny". I tasted a small bite, and there wasn't really any strong taste to them, definitly not bitter...not really remarkable in any way, to me at least.

of course, after the tasting, i spit out the chunk, and washed my mouth out, so please, no lectures. i well know the risks, and think (maybe for the worst) that this method is acceptable for helping identify mushrooms.

The caps looked exactly like amanitas are supposed to look like, with little "bushy" white growths out of the caps, white stems, although their caps were yellow, like a light goldenrod.

Michigan has had a very warm summer, with decent rainfall this year (in my part, and Port Austin).

also, does anyone know if those huge, woody mushrooms that grow out of the sides of trees are edible? i'm talking about the ones that make large brown cresents on *usually* living trees, and are hard as heck. I also tried one of them in my mushroom hunt, although i grabbed a very young one that was still just a bulbous white growth on the side of the tree. the old guy i know said they're no good, even after tasting them, but i actually really liked it, the young one had a VERY moist center, with the consistancy of mozzarella or maybe cottage cheese.... are they edible? i doubt anyone has ever tried one before hahaha

thanks for all the help guys!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Aminita Muscaria in Northern Michigan? [Re: FungusBoi]
    #4622117 - 09/05/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Amanita muscaria does grow in Michigan. There are also several similar species of Amanita, so you need to be cautious in you IDs.

Tasting mushrooms in the field is one of the standard methods used as part of the process of identification, but you should not taste any mushroom that is potentially one of the deadly species. Even small amounts of their toxins can accumulate over a day's tastings and make you ill. For that matter, there are cases on record of people tasting (and spitting out) mushrooms that are only mildly toxic and becoming ill from it.

The huge, woody mushrooms you're referring to are called (as a group) "conks". I don't know of anybody who has ever eaten one. If you try one and it's OK, let us know.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineS8N
PIMP
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: Aminita Muscaria in Northern Michigan? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4640600 - 09/10/05 03:22 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

im getting sick of thrashing threads with amanita muscaria var formosa info. toxicman could you post info about look alikes? im in mich and getting TONS of muscaria var formosa. i picked 2 of these buckets and then switched to a very large box, i would say i picked 5-8 total in one day.

--------------------

Offlinectek
Stranger
Re: Aminita Muscaria in Northern Michigan? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4818959 - 10/18/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Did they look like this one here in the pic? This was from yesterday in port austin.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29000420641.jpg&s=x2

Edited by ctek (10/18/05 01:45 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification