Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [UPDATED!]
    #4620809 - 09/04/05 11:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I received my poo yesterday, and some of my jars are nearing colonization. So, I figured it was time to get my fruiting area prepped.

After some discussion with my wife...I was approved a closet for my endeavor. I was not going with a full blown humidity controlled closet. But instead I've decided to use several rubbermaid tubs with perlite.

For those who have not kept up with my posts here, I will be spawning 12 half pint golden teacher brf/quinoa cakes to 10 lbs. of h/poo. That may be a little too many cakes for that amount of poo. I believe that scatmanrav had advised approx. 8 cakes spawned to the 10 lbs. of poo. But I suspect I may be losing a jar to gray mold. Not sure yet, though.

After my loooong cake colonization period I may go for using all the jars I have to expedite the poo colonization.

I will be using 3-4 inches of poo/cake substrate and casing it w/peat and verm.

You will notice two tubs on the bottom and one long tub on a modified shelf above it. I have put to use a couple of drop lights that I already owned. The upper tub is clear on the sides but I will be covering it... probably with a dark trashbag.

The whole closet was disinfected and plastic sheeting put on the floor covering the old carpet. In the top of the closet you'll notice a hepa air purifier that will be running 24/7... unless you vets feel it is not needed???

For air exchage I will be doing manual fanning and may place some holes an inch or two above the perlite stuffed w/polyfill, also if advised by the vets???

Somewhere along the line I lost the lids to those two bottom tubs and will probably just use clear plastic sheeting as a lid secured with elastic bands on all 3 tubs.

Also in each of these tubs I will be duct taping a 5" long piece of half inch pvc pipe in the corner that will go all the way to the bottom of the tub. You may notice in the left side of this pic a thin piece of bamboo stick. I will be using it in conjunction with the pvc as a "dipstick" to track the water level in my perlite.

Anyway I think that's about it. If anyone has answers to the questions I asked, or any advice to give or questions of their own...it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Edited by Bamaman (09/20/05 07:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Bamaman]
    #4620827 - 09/04/05 11:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: ]
    #4620896 - 09/04/05 11:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, less heat and more blue in the light. 6-8 cakes per 10 pounds will be fine. Everything else is looking good.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4621101 - 09/05/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks guys.

I believe i can find flourecents that can fit regular sockets for those drop lights, so I will switch to them.

As you may have noticed I have 2 trays per tub. Which comes to 1 and two thirds lbs of poo for each of the 6 trays... with 1 and one third cakes per tray. This will leave me with 4 cakes to fruit the dunk and roll method.

Questions:

How long should this poo colonization approx. take???

Should I run my hepa air purifier 24/7 in that closet???

Should I place some holes in the tubs a couple of inches above the perlite and stuff with polyfill???

--------------------

OfflineShroomArtist84
Stranger
Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: Bamaman]
    #4621283 - 09/05/05 02:09 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

looking good. i have to get my shit setup soon.

--------------------
No matter what I say and no matter what I write here.

I'm sick of always looking at this page with a blank stare.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: ShroomArtist84]
    #4621994 - 09/05/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

bump...

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4622033 - 09/05/05 12:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

1.) it will take about a week for the poo to thouroughly colonize. maybe less maybe more.

2.) it wouldn't hurt

3.) would definietely help rid your fc of co2

now i see you were saying something about using a bamboo stick to track the water in the perlite. there is no need to leave the perlite in standing water (unless its a pmp). the perlite will give you a better humidity if you just soak it, drain it and use it. surface area is the key here, the perlite holds water on its surface in micropores allowing evap to occur at a much greater rate than if it were left soaking in water.

best of luck
:peace:

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: backupwards]
    #4637693 - 09/09/05 02:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, here's my closet update.

1. I have purchased and switched the regular bulbs to 15w fluorescents.
2. I have purchased a new hepa filter to go in my purifier.
3. I have purchased extra perlite for humidity in the 4 tubs (3 cased/1 cakes) and some peat for casing.
4. I have purchased elastic to hold my plastic sheetic covers in place.
5. I have drilled holes in the tubs and stuffed with polyfill for FAE.
6. I have duct taped the outside of my casing trays to eliminate sunlight to my substrate.
7. I have drilled holes in my casing trays above the casing line for co2 draining.
8. I have cut and fit plastic over tubs to keep in humidity and allow light.

P.S. The large clear tub that can be seen in the very first opening post pic, will be used to fruit 4 cakes separately from the 3 tubs you now see here. simply not enough room in that closet for that big ass tub.

Edited by Bamaman (09/28/05 09:04 PM)

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #4637707 - 09/09/05 02:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Bamaman's going all in! Looking good to me! I'd rate you, but I already have.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4637734 - 09/09/05 02:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Looks pretty good, got any powdered oyster shells to buffer that peat moss? I'd suggest it..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: FooMan]
    #4637743 - 09/09/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

As of now....

Total dollars invested approx. = $150
Total time invested = research/100+hrs, work/10hrs, shopping/3hrs
Total amount of negativism from my wife = 10hrs of whining

The look on her face when she's trippin' balls with no regrets = PRICELESS

--------------------

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

#4637759 - 09/09/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow.  I must say, thats a pretty impressive setup.  :smile:

I'm sure it was well worth that whining.  lol.

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

#4637762 - 09/09/05 02:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

scatman, are you familiar with Diatomaceous Earth?

http://www.hydromall.com/happy_grower16.html

We have quite a bit of it for pest control. I believe it is simply crushed shells, ground to the consistency of talc powder.

what do you think, and explain the buffer scenario...how, why, etc... i have heard it mentioned but didn't pay much attention because i didn't think i needed it.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4637842 - 09/09/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

OK..I dont think DE will work as a buffer, but I'm not sure..Food grade DE though could make a good additive to the casing layer or substrate, for airyness, and water holding ability. Is it a source of calcium? If so, then I think it might buffer too. Watch for non foodgrade..I cant remember why, I think it was slug attractant that is put in it or something that is bad. Theres a thread in the Advance Mycology board though, by agar..probably on page 1-4, take a look for it for more info on DE.

As to buffers, peat moss comes acidic and myc needs a more neutral pH to do well. When the pH drops to low, the myc wont fruit, and besides that, molds like green (the most common and easiest to get) LOVE acidic environments, and hate the more neutral environment that cubies love. So, if you make the pH neutral, mycelium thrives, and green mold (and alot of others) dont. The substrate should be neutral (unless adding coffee grounds or something to throw it off) but the casing layer is more important anyway, I think because thats where the fruits form and pH hurts that.

So anyway, there are two forms of buffering, short term and long term..short term is hydrated lime, water soluable so disolves instantly into the peat and raising the pH quickly. With this stuff you can easily make the casing mix way to base and burn the myc with it..a little can be used with peat, however I have never used it, and woulnt without a pH meter.

Then theres long term buffer, a form of limestone or calcium (calcium carbonate, chalk (not the blackboard kind), oystershells, ect) which is not soluable in water. None of these are, except HYDRATED lime..the rest do not disolve, and do not react untill exposed to acidicness. So from the start, the acidic water of the peat water starts it getting to neutral, and then mycelium excretes acidic wastes, dropping the pH more all the time. The powdered oyster shell (crushed doesnt work as well, powdered has more surface area per cup since the grains are smaller, crushed wont break down well) works to keep the casing mix neutral while the myc produces these wastes..it keeps the casing producing more fruits (even on the first flush) and keeps it going for more flushes. It also makes it alot more resistant to contamination.

Coco coir is used, even though it doesnt work as well as peat, because it comes neutral so a buffer isnt needed, though I've still found it to help quite a bit.

Add about 5% shells, or calcium carbonate by volume to the peat moss, then add 50% verm. Heres where I get mine if I cant find it locally (home depot, garden shops, ect).

http://www.kkorchid.com/1medium_potting.asp

--------------------

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

#4638231 - 09/09/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

are you saying that there should be two layers of casing one consisting of peat and oyster, the second consisting of just verm?

or just mix the peat and oyster first before adding the verm. then case them all together on the substrate?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4638244 - 09/09/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

>or just mix the peat and oyster first before adding the verm. then case them all together on the substrate?

That one. I just said it that way, because you should have about 5% to the peat moss, but not the total mixture when you add in the verm. You could do peat, then verm, then 2.5% oystershells too..however I think they work better if you add them to the water when you soak the peat moss. It is harder to burn the myc with this stuff though so it doesnt matter if you go overboard or measure exactly.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #4638287 - 09/09/05 04:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

In fact i regularly use (and would even suggest) you use oyster shell powder at 10% the volume of the peat. Not saying scat's wrong, just proving his point that it's hard to use too much as long as it's calcium carbonate and not hydrated lime.

bTW, I see people say all the time that coir is neutral. I've never seen neutral coir, it's never been as acidic as peat, but it's always tested acidic. There's no way I'd use it without a buffer. (although people do it all the time, so it's obviously not certain death to mycelium...)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Finally... fruiting closet w/pics [Re: mycofile]
    #4638299 - 09/09/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with all that, I just dont waste the shell, and I dont keep casings beyond 2 or maybe 3 flushes, so more is usually a waste for myself...I dont usually measure it either..

I've never tested coir with a meter, but I started out my first casing and every one for like 6 months using calcium carbonate, I ordered it for peat moss, but coir was easier to find, so I used that but used some buffer anyway because people said you could..then when I ran out, people said I wouldnt notice the difference if I was using coir...after two grows without it, I put buffer in every time now, even coir...

--------------------

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

#4638559 - 09/09/05 05:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I guess I'm a little confused now.

I've seen posts saying you need to keep a certain water level in the perlite. Yet, someone here said just soak it and drain it, then place in tub.
1. For my cased h/poo trays what it optimal?

Someone also said that you can dunk poo cakes.

2. With a cased h/poo cake, do I just mist continually keeping my casing at near saturation? Or do I dunk between flushes?

3. I know you can dunk a PF cake, but when I am spawning a PF cake to h/poo does it need to be dunked before it is grated up and mixed together?

--------------------

Edited by Bamaman (09/09/05 07:03 PM)

OfflineWhiteBunny
How deep doesthe rabbit hole go?
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #4639279 - 09/09/05 08:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I would just soak and drain the puerile or it may get nasty

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Coir, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation