Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblelIXII
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Ol cane hills
Gymnopilus
    #4620149 - 09/04/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Cap- range from 4.5 cm to 6.5 cm width. yellowish-orange. Faintly fibrous surface. Convex and meaty.

Stipe- 4 to 8 cm long. Up to 1.5 cm thick. Very fibrous, faintly hollow with age. Yellow to brown.

Gills- Attached at first, perhaps adnexed, detaching with age and insect infestation. Crowded and brownish orange.

Spore Print- Orangish brown. Slightly lighter in color than photo shows.

Found growing amongst Hemlock and Red Oaks in southern Pennsylvania mountains. I presume that the highly decayed stump on which they were growing was Oak.

Bruising brownish now (still fresh), with some evidence of a more dark, perhaps more red bruising tendency.

They have a relatively strong licorice-anise-fruity scent and bitter flavor.

Any ideas? I would assume Gymnopilus Spectabilis, although they are quite small.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the picture posting, in case the encryption doesn't work, I will post links.

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs45&d=05361&f=1gym2.jpg -group
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs45&d=05361&f=2Gym2.jpg -group
http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs45&d=05361&f=3Gym2.jpg -print

Edited by lIXII (09/04/05 06:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Gymnopilus [Re: lIXII]
    #4620462 - 09/04/05 07:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

There is a good possibility that those are members of the gymnopilus genus, at least I can't see anything that would eliminate it... Keep in mind that many poisonous mushrooms can resemble gymnopilus mushrooms and that identification to species is difficult without having access to keys, microscopes, input of mycologists who specialize in that genus, etc.... errors in identification can also lead to poisoning.. they are unsafe to consume unless you can find some kind of way to get them positively identified. That in combination with the fact that the edibility status of many gymnopilus species is unknown really should be considered.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisiblelIXII
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Ol cane hills
Re: Gymnopilus [Re: lIXII]
    #4620692 - 09/04/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am quite positive that they are Gymnopilus. I can safely rule out similar mushrooms of which I am familiar, at any rate.

I don't aim to consume them, to add to my lack of experience with the genus, they are very infested with maggots and were feasted on throughout last night by millipedes.

I was leading a cleansing ceremony for a mushroom healing, and found them upon gathering oak leaves for smudge.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract