Home | Community | Message Board


Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
New Orleans
    #4620119 - 09/04/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Is it true that military has been given the right to kill anyone who they assume is going to cause trouble?


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 10,329
Loc: On the Border
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620151 - 09/04/05 08:25 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes. Considering the number of violent criminals currently murdering and raping at will this is quite reasonable. Several people were killed earlier today while firing on a construction crew that was attempting a levy repair. This was an organized group apparently trying to maintain the lawless situation by whacking the relief and construction workers.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/08/02
Posts: 44,174
Last seen: 3 months, 21 days
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620164 - 09/04/05 08:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think the "shoot to kill" orders are only reserved for those who are firing or attacking others, not for looters and the like.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 10,329
Loc: On the Border
Re: New Orleans [Re: Redstorm]
    #4620165 - 09/04/05 08:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

True


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: Redstorm]
    #4620177 - 09/04/05 08:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I think the "shoot to kill" orders are only reserved for those who are firing or attacking others, not for looters and the like.




well then, how is that any different from standard policework?


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineeggaloo
shizo :D

Registered: 09/02/05
Posts: 65
Loc: B.C
Last seen: 11 years, 21 days
Re: New Orleans [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4620180 - 09/04/05 08:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I dont noe wats up with those fucktards in new orleans, and the military can take over countries but cant handle a few rebels?...


--------------------
:rockon:BC BUD 4 LIFE:rockon:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 06/14/04
Posts: 10,329
Loc: On the Border
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620182 - 09/04/05 08:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The police DO NOT shoot to kill. They only fire as a last resort...in principle at least.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4620196 - 09/04/05 08:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
The police DO NOT shoot to kill. They only fire as a last resort...in principle at least.




yea, but if they "have no choice" they won't go to jail for killing someone


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620205 - 09/04/05 08:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This just in from MSNBC. It's Saturnight night and they shot 6 out of 8 gunmen today who were shooting at engineers working on the levee.

It's true and happening. About time too!


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4620221 - 09/04/05 08:46 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I question if it is even possible to establish a stable civilisation at all. Should we even try?

I mean, first you try to follow some principles that are supose to benefit everyone, but you can't deal with those who don't without foresaking those principles. It seems the only way to eliminate violent crime is to kill off everyone that shows a sign of such behaviour, but then by doing that, you are using violence yourself.
It's a nightmare.


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePmog
I's

Registered: 08/25/05
Posts: 61
Loc: (No)r(way)
Last seen: 10 years, 11 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620224 - 09/04/05 08:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

LOL ...

defense as 'the best' offense? :P


--------------------
Life! = !Life

Life = birthing
Life = dying

!life = death <-> birth = life!
--------------------
:frown: !LIVE! :smile:
--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: Pmog]
    #4620246 - 09/04/05 08:52 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

and even if you establish control, the only thing that is stoping people is fear, and when something like this happens and the fear is over, all hell brakes lose. It seems there is no real solution, exept some kind of pre-birth gene modeling that would elimiate deviant behaviour


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620278 - 09/04/05 08:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I agree. These guys took over the city and they are trying to get control of it again to bring in relif and aide. Reports came out that they were shooting at aide workers before this happening I just mentioned and they were pushing over ambulances.

Once they do regain control, they need to ask themselves what the fuck is wrong with their citisens that would shoot at aide workers?

Those people are absolutely mentally deranged to shoot at someone coming in to help them. That kept more help away for a few days.

The city had a significant section of people living in poverity. Therer is no excuse for that in the U.S.

When you have NOTHING to loose, why should you care? There is a lot of repressed anger that was unleashed with this storm.

It needs to be addressed when the dust settles. There is an article in PA&L that discussed how this storm brought to light how bad the poverity was there.

Well fare is not the answer. It just gets abused by generations of families who use it as a career choice and retirement plan. Better schools is not the answer if the children do not have a support system at home that cares about their childrens education.

I don't feel like getting into the solution now, or a solution, or what i would do.

What would you do, let them take over NO and keep shooting at relief and aide workers and torching up buildings?

The Red Cross was told to leave and not let in on Thursday it got so bad. God knows how many more died from dehydration because help was afraid to go in there are told not to, or was not allowed to. It was so bad, 20-60% of the NO police force walked off the job in the first two days afterwards.


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4620305 - 09/04/05 09:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, and something else that was shown happening live and then was cut off and never shown again was that on Tuesday when the levee broke and the city started flooding, they let ALL of the prisoners in one of the prisons run free to save their lives. Those same guys are running free around the city where its easy to loot any store that sells guns and amunitions. Thats what has been happening. The thugs who weren't in jail and that came out of it, looting any store that stole that stuff.

Many stayed behind to be able to do just that, said a man interviewed at the Astrodome.


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4620312 - 09/04/05 09:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I agree. These guys took over the city and they are trying to get control of it again to bring in relif and aide. Reports came out that they were shooting at aide workers before this happening I just mentioned and they were pushing over ambulances.

Once they do regain control, they need to ask themselves what the fuck is wrong with their citisens that would shoot at aide workers?

Those people are absolutely mentally deranged to shoot at someone coming in to help them. That kept more help away for a few days.

The city had a significant section of people living in poverity. Therer is no excuse for that in the U.S.

When you have NOTHING to loose, why should you care? There is a lot of repressed anger that was unleashed with this storm.

It needs to be addressed when the dust settles. There is an article in PA&L that discussed how this storm brought to light how bad the poverity was there.

Well fare is not the answer. It just gets abused by generations of families who use it as a career choice and retirement plan. Better schools is not the answer if the children do not have a support system at home that cares about their childrens education.

I don't feel like getting into the solution now, or a solution, or what i would do.

What would you do, let them take over NO and keep shooting at relief and aide workers and torching up buildings?

The Red Cross was told to leave and not let in on Thursday it got so bad. God knows how many more died from dehydration because help was afraid to go in there are told not to, or was not allowed to. It was so bad, 20-60% of the NO police force walked off the job in the first two days afterwards.




I think it isn't all that personal. Perhapse some people in these regions still don't think that they should be taking orders from Washington. I mean, it was only a few decades ago that the south was full of KKK hords considering themselfs separate from the rest of united states with a southern flag tatooed on their butts.
I believe there are still a lot of unresolved feelings regarding the issues of north and south, and some deranged kids decided to reclaim their town and not let the washington government once again take control of it. Such bringing up does not wanish overnight, it goes for a long long time, passed on by generations to generations.


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620351 - 09/04/05 09:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Yes. I would get into the chain link of mental and emotional dysfunction passed down from generation to generation that was seeded long ago as the cause but like I said, maybe tomorrow. It's a big topic on it's own. Why mental, emotional, and physical health isn't the top priorities of humans for all humans before we do anything else is beyond me.

We treat and cure some physical cancers and diseases and even then, mostly only those who can afford to get that. What about social diseases? What ever is treated or cured again, only those who can afford it get it.

That's what I see as the underlying problem and it's a huge one to solve and would require a radical revamping of our culture, structure and systems.

Bar keep, pour me another.


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4620470 - 09/04/05 09:40 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Yes. I would get into the chain link of mental and emotional dysfunction passed down from generation to generation that was seeded long ago as the cause but like I said, maybe tomorrow. It's a big topic on it's own. Why mental, emotional, and physical health isn't the top priorities of humans for all humans before we do anything else is beyond me.

We treat and cure some physical cancers and diseases and even then, mostly only those who can afford to get that. What about social diseases? What ever is treated or cured again, only those who can afford it get it.

That's what I see as the underlying problem and it's a huge one to solve and would require a radical revamping of our culture, structure and systems.

Bar keep, pour me another.




Our physical medicine is far more advanced than our mental medicine.
In the past we used to isolate or kill the sick for our own protection, there really was no other way to deal with it but to send the sick away. Then we found cures.
Tight now, our mental medicine is as primitive as our physical medicine used to be 1000 years ago, so since we have no cures, all we can do is send the sick away (into jails) or kill them a defective machines would be destroyed.


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620572 - 09/04/05 10:06 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sadly, I agree with that understanding and thats the short version of what I was getting at.

It's not even treatments and cures that we need before prevention being seen as the key kicks in. How can disfunctional parents raise functional children? Intervention needs to take place somewhere somehow to break the chain and set it anew.


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Registered: 02/01/05
Posts: 4,033
Loc: mountains and lakes
Last seen: 10 years, 2 months
Re: New Orleans [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4620619 - 09/04/05 10:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
Sadly, I agree with that understanding and thats the short version of what I was getting at.

It's not even treatments and cures that we need before prevention being seen as the key kicks in. How can disfunctional parents raise functional children? Intervention needs to take place somewhere somehow to break the chain and set it anew.




there is another possible direction, now that you mention parents, it's children licence, you know, like a drivers licence for having kids. But that would raise another problem: who has the right to deny anyones right to reproduce?


--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Registered: 07/20/04
Posts: 7,469
Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: New Orleans [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4620676 - 09/04/05 10:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've mentioned that elsewhere until we get through a generation or two and then, we can drop it. What I mean by getting through a generation or two is that functional parents will be raising functional kids and the ones who are angry, irresponsible careless, abusive and lazy and thinks the world owes them something, take from instead of give to society people will be stopped from raising more kids who will grow into angry, careless, irresponsible,lazy, abusive and thinks the world owes them something, take from instead of give to society adults.

Of course now we are talking in fantasy land oldwood, but, thats part of the fun of S&P and dreaming of a new day and new world isn't it.

Back to planet earth. :ashamed:


--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tiger Skin and Meat For Sale!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
fireworks_godS 3,142 81 01/21/09 10:41 AM
by Lakefingers
* nonviolence and its violent consequences NiamhNyx 1,226 9 08/09/04 01:59 AM
by Mushmonkey
* Violent Pornography?
( 1 2 all )
MushmanTheManic 2,501 32 12/15/06 06:56 AM
by mr_kite
* Very Violent Dreams...why?
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 1,889 39 04/19/07 06:53 PM
by Icelander
* Tiger Man: Ayahuasca Shape-Shifting
( 1 2 all )
Swami 4,216 22 08/12/10 10:28 PM
by Icelander
* Why is the world a violent place?
( 1 2 3 all )
Droz 1,672 43 12/06/03 05:56 PM
by Shizpow
* Non Violent Communication Huehuecoyotl 1,110 9 04/09/07 06:47 AM
by Huehuecoyotl
* violent dream/ head ache/ lucid dreaming clepto4peace 776 8 11/30/08 08:30 AM
by redgreenvines

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, CosmicJoke, Diploid, DividedQuantum
2,064 topic views. 1 members, 8 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.075 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.