Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine
    #4619671 - 09/04/05 05:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

In the latest Rolling Stone magazine, there is an article on the early days of The Grateful Dead. One of the interesting things mentioned is the fact that Jerry picked the name completely by chance. He flipped to a random page in the dictionary, saw the term "grateful dead" and the rest is history. I don't remember hearing about that before. The article also mentioned that the name "The Warlocks" was also an early name of The Velvet Underground, which I wasn't aware of.

Another interesting thing I read was something that reminded me of something that Chinacat has said from time to time about "the music playing the band". Bobby Weir says "We were taking acid every week for a couple of months, and I think we learned what we were going to learn with that method in a couple of months. We learned in that time and important lesson, to try to step back from what it is you're playing - not to be there, to step back and let the song be itself. All we were there for was to be there to help the song, to do a few physical things to let the song happen, and the song will take care of itself."

They also talk more about the whole acid scene, which is interesting. Owsley, Kesey and Cassady are mentioned. It's a good article.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine [Re: Learyfan]
    #4619682 - 09/04/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That's really cool. Buddhists say that after chanting a mantra for a while, the differentiation between you and the mantra breaks down and the mantra begins to do you, instead of the other way around.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4619695 - 09/04/05 05:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

That quote from Weir is interesting. It kind of gives you a take at how much control one should have over the activity their involved in. At some point you kind of let things happen without making things happen.

OfflineIAmTheWalrus212
LIL WEEZY
Male User Gallery

Loc: ?
    #4619726 - 09/04/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think ZZ Top were once The Warlocks too.

--------------------

OfflineDeadHeadNotLed
Stranger
Re: Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine [Re: IAmTheWalrus212]
    #4619768 - 09/04/05 06:11 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that's a good article.

I really hope the remaining members play at least one more tour. But if not, we still have Ratdog, who's on fire right now. I caught 3 shows this summer, and they were all amazing.

Edited by DeadHeadNotLed (09/04/05 06:12 PM)

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine [Re: DeadHeadNotLed]
    #4619928 - 09/04/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks leary....  i'll have to pick up a copy!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Re: Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine [Re: kindkesey]
    #4620021 - 09/04/05 07:42 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

>>... i'll have to pick up a copy!

No need. It's online --> Rolling Stone - Grateful Dead article

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
    #4620509 - 09/04/05 09:48 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

you guys should read "a long strange trip" by dennis mcnally... it goes into depth about the naming incident... as it does with just about everything else you could think about...

here, i'll type it out
pg 100
The following week the Warlocks, or atleast Weir, Kreutzmann, Lesh and garcia, met to concider a problem. Phil Lesh had been thumbing through a record rack and came across a single put out by another group called the Warlocks, probably not the New York City band that featured Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Maureen Tucker (later this band would find a new monkier in the title of sadomasochistic novel and became the Velvet Underground), but moste likely a Texas band that included guitarist who would become known as ZZ Top. The san Franciscans decided they needed a new name, and they began to evaluate possibilites. Kreutzman lobbied for a black club band name, like the "Vikings" or the Crusaders." Garcia wanted to be whimsical and threw out "Mythical Ethical Icicle Tricicle." Weir suggested "His Own Sweet Advocates," his softened version of the term "devil's advocate." Finaly, on November 12, a cold gray windy day, the four of them gathered at Lesh's house on High Street. Garcia had smoked DMT before coming over, but the others were sober. Garcia and Lesh sat on the couch as Weir and Kreutzmann hovered behind them. They paged through a Barlett's, read a thousand possibilities, rejected them all. Then Garcia opend Phil's girlfriend Ruth's Funk and Wagnall's New Practial Standard Dictionary(1956), shook it open, and stabbed it with his finger. "Everything else on the page went blank," he later said, "diffused, just sorta oozed away, and there was GRATEFUL DEAD, bigblack letters edged all around in gold, man, blasting out at me, such a stunning combination." "hey, man. How about the Gratefu Dead?" Lesh began to jump up and down, shouting, "That's it! That's it!" Weir didn't like it, thinking it morbid. "It hed us back for years and years," he would say much later. As soon as he thought about it, even Garcia found it "kinda creepy." Hanging out at Swain's Music Store, Jerry asked Evie, a clerk there, how to spell "grateful." "however you spell it," she sniffed, "you'll never make it with that name."

Innocent as babes, they had connected with a motif that twined itself throughout human history. The definition in the dictionary referred specifically to the nineteenth-century musicologist Francis Child's term for a type of ballad. The grateful dead ballad or folktale concerns a hero who comes upon a corpse beingg refused a proper burial because it owes a debt. The hero resolves the debt and thus the corpse's destiny without expectation of reward, often with his last penny. Soon he meets a traveling companion who aids him in some impossible task, who, of course, turns out to be the spirit of the corpse he aided. This motif is found in almost every culture since the ancient Egyptians. Unknowingly, the Warlocks had plunked themselves into a universal cultural thread woven into the matrix of all human experience. The Term "grateful dead" is about karma, and asserts that acting from soul and the heart guarantees that righteousness will result. It is about honor, compassion, and keeping promises. It precedes and suggest "Cast thy bread upon the waters," and "No man is an island," and "what goes around comes around." The very fact of a good-time rock band selecting a name that involved death created a gap that automatically seperated the sheep from the goats. You had to be atleast a little bent just to appreciate it. It conufused some and appalled others--and what could be better for a rock band? It implied layers and layers of depth, unique amoung all rock band names in that era, and suggested that something very powerful indeed happened on High Street that day. In the end, they did not choose their name. It chose them.

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Grateful Dead article in latest Rolling Stone magazine [Re: Phychotron]
    #4622243 - 09/05/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

dblaney18 said:
That's really cool. Buddhists say that after chanting a mantra for a while, the differentiation between you and the mantra breaks down and the mantra begins to do you, instead of the other way around.

Interesting. I buy it.

Quote:

Phychotron said:
you guys should read "a long strange trip" by dennis mcnally... it goes into depth about the naming incident... as it does with just about everything else you could think about...

here, i'll type it out
pg 100
The following week the Warlocks, or atleast Weir, Kreutzmann, Lesh and garcia, met to concider a problem. Phil Lesh had been thumbing through a record rack and came across a single put out by another group called the Warlocks, probably not the New York City band that featured Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Maureen Tucker (later this band would find a new monkier in the title of sadomasochistic novel and became the Velvet Underground), but moste likely a Texas band that included guitarist who would become known as ZZ Top. The san Franciscans decided they needed a new name, and they began to evaluate possibilites. Kreutzman lobbied for a black club band name, like the "Vikings" or the Crusaders." Garcia wanted to be whimsical and threw out "Mythical Ethical Icicle Tricicle." Weir suggested "His Own Sweet Advocates," his softened version of the term "devil's advocate." Finaly, on November 12, a cold gray windy day, the four of them gathered at Lesh's house on High Street. Garcia had smoked DMT before coming over, but the others were sober. Garcia and Lesh sat on the couch as Weir and Kreutzmann hovered behind them. They paged through a Barlett's, read a thousand possibilities, rejected them all. Then Garcia opend Phil's girlfriend Ruth's Funk and Wagnall's New Practial Standard Dictionary(1956), shook it open, and stabbed it with his finger. "Everything else on the page went blank," he later said, "diffused, just sorta oozed away, and there was GRATEFUL DEAD, bigblack letters edged all around in gold, man, blasting out at me, such a stunning combination." "hey, man. How about the Gratefu Dead?" Lesh began to jump up and down, shouting, "That's it! That's it!" Weir didn't like it, thinking it morbid. "It hed us back for years and years," he would say much later. As soon as he thought about it, even Garcia found it "kinda creepy." Hanging out at Swain's Music Store, Jerry asked Evie, a clerk there, how to spell "grateful." "however you spell it," she sniffed, "you'll never make it with that name."

Innocent as babes, they had connected with a motif that twined itself throughout human history. The definition in the dictionary referred specifically to the nineteenth-century musicologist Francis Child's term for a type of ballad. The grateful dead ballad or folktale concerns a hero who comes upon a corpse beingg refused a proper burial because it owes a debt. The hero resolves the debt and thus the corpse's destiny without expectation of reward, often with his last penny. Soon he meets a traveling companion who aids him in some impossible task, who, of course, turns out to be the spirit of the corpse he aided. This motif is found in almost every culture since the ancient Egyptians. Unknowingly, the Warlocks had plunked themselves into a universal cultural thread woven into the matrix of all human experience. The Term "grateful dead" is about karma, and asserts that acting from soul and the heart guarantees that righteousness will result. It is about honor, compassion, and keeping promises. It precedes and suggest "Cast thy bread upon the waters," and "No man is an island," and "what goes around comes around." The very fact of a good-time rock band selecting a name that involved death created a gap that automatically seperated the sheep from the goats. You had to be atleast a little bent just to appreciate it. It conufused some and appalled others--and what could be better for a rock band? It implied layers and layers of depth, unique amoung all rock band names in that era, and suggested that something very powerful indeed happened on High Street that day. In the end, they did not choose their name. It chose them.

Thanks Phychotron, that was interesting. I wonder if there is someone out there who is such a big Deadhead that they went searching for a copy of that edition of that dictionary.

I also wonder what happened to the dictionary that Garcia chose the name from.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Park Avenue Playground - The Trip

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #4622592 - 09/05/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I read Phil's book a few months ago. He had lots of insights to the goings on, public and private, of the band. Lots of good stories.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Community >> The Pub