Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefragility
Stranger
A couple newbie questions
    #4619186 - 09/04/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Every tek that I have read says to let the PF jars cool in the pressure cooker/steamer after the substrate has been sterilized, and then to inoculate once they are cooled. Does it make any difference whether the jars cool inside or out of the pressure cooker? Lets say that I need to use the pressure cooker to sterilize more jars. Is it safe enough to remove the jars from the cooker (not to inoculate yet) and let them cool, so I can use the cooker right away to sterilize more jars?

Also, I have a fan with a HEPA air filter, which eliminates bacteria and mold spores in the air. Would it reduce the chance of contamination to keep this running 24/7 near the jars, and then later near the casings (while they colonize) and near the fruiting chamber? Would it harm the mushroom spores as well? Does it make no difference?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm going to get started with a rather large scale (for a beginner) project in a few days, and I'll document the whole thing, with pictures, on the boards here. I know its always good to start small, but I have the resources, and I feel like with all the reading I've done here, I can pull off something a bit bigger than just a few cakes, especially with all of your help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A couple newbie questions [Re: fragility]
    #4619205 - 09/04/05 01:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

When the jars come out they are hot and full of steam. As they cool they will draw in some air from the surroundings, thats why people cool them in the PC.

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

Offlinefragility
Stranger
Re: A couple newbie questions [Re: blackout]
    #4619215 - 09/04/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That makes sense. Assuming that I am using a large pot/steamer instead of a pressure cooker (i have not yet decided to put the money out for the PC but i may), then I would be able to just remove the pot from the burner to let it cool, and use a different pot for the next set of jars, correct?

OfflineWhiteBunny
How deep doesthe rabbit hole go?
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: A couple newbie questions [Re: fragility]
    #4619216 - 09/04/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The reason it says to let them cool in the jars is to minimize the chances how it receiving cont. The more times you move it from the pressure cooker the more chance there is for cont. If you have a glove box you may move them there to cool further or a clean rubber maid container, be careful though to let them cool some because the jars are still very hot. Using the HEPA filter couldn't hurt, though I would turn it off turn fruiting if you wish to do spore prints.

--------------------

Edited by WhiteBunny (09/04/05 01:36 PM)

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: A couple newbie questions [Re: WhiteBunny]
    #4619245 - 09/04/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

you could a) put some micropore tape over the holes before you pc or b) rubber band some tyvek over the jars before you pc. either would keep contams from sucking in if they were a bit warm when you took them out. make sure you put the foil over the tops as well, don't want any water getting in either.
go for the pc, you will be thankful you did. you will wind up jars that are sterilized much better than just boiling.
best of luck
:peace:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation