Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
Humidity problems...
    #461313 - 11/17/01 01:10 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I've been having a little prob with my humidity... Its been dropping down to around 75%. My setup consists of perlite with two bubble stones underneath it to provide the additional humidity and air exchange. Each bubble stone has two fish pumps attatched to it. Anyway, it usually keeps the humidity around 80 - 85%. The chamber is a 72qt rubbermaid container. I did have a heatpad under the container, but I took the air conditioner out of my room (finally) and removed the heatpad because it got the temp too warm. At this time of the year I have a hard enough time keeping the temp below 80 degrees my room. My room is weird, its either burning hot or freezing cold :oP Once the weather gets a little cooler the heat pad is going back under the chamber and problem solved. Until that time, any suggestions on how to keep the humidity up without having to mist (what I've been doing once a day to keep it around 80%)?
Another question: Is 75% too low or just not perfect? I case my cakes. The batch thats in there just started pinning a couple days ago and the shrooms are starting to grow right now. Anyway, I've never tried to grow with the humidity this low and was wondering how much I should worry about it or if I should just go on with misting it once a day to keep it around 80% until it gets cool enough for that heatpad again?

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Humidity problems... [Re: DarK_SavioR]
    #461419 - 11/17/01 03:00 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well, perlite alone will give you 95% humidity. So, either your hygrometer is off (likely) or your blowing too much fresh air in. (also likely) Four airpumps can blow alot of air. 75% is too low.

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Re: Humidity problems... [Re: puscle]
    #461472 - 11/17/01 03:53 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a possibility... the air holes I have in my chamber are covered with filter patches and the patches sealed with silicon. The filter patches are suppose to be water tight, if that could eliminated the likeliness of too much air circulating, being as that shouldn't be creating a loss of moisture. I used 4 pumps because I plan on growing a lot of pan species and "very" good air circulation was recommended by many people. I've never been able to get my humidity ideal using just perlite, the dimensions of my chamber is 24L x 17W x 16H and my light source is a small flourescent light, I think its only 10 watts or something. Its a coiled buld. The hygrometer I have is one for reptile terrariums, I just now put another one in to see what it reads also. Its for reptile terrariums too, I baught it for another chamber I was going to make but I guess it'll be for this one if the one I have right now is off... I'll post an update later on. Hopefully my hygrometer is just off, the humidity is noticably lower though... no where near as much water collecting on the sides of the chamber.

--------------------
Ralphster44 & The FSR!

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #461521 - 11/17/01 04:16 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

You'll get it right. You cannont judge humidity by the condensation on the walls.

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Re: Humidity problems... [Re: puscle]
    #462547 - 11/18/01 04:54 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The other hygrometer reads 5% higher than the other (80%)... the shrooms are growing fine though... I have the hygrometers placed towards the top of the terrarium... I'm gonna move em towards the bottom and see what it reads down there, heh.

--------------------
Ralphster44 & The FSR!

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #462992 - 11/19/01 01:50 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

if the shoomers are grwoing fine, then you don't have a problem.

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom