Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

First casing results: Small shrooms
    #4614529 - 09/03/05 12:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

So far I've found this site to be a great guide, building my skills with each batch I start. I recently tried casing for the first time. I used the most basic casing tek I could find on this site. I spread a layer of verm in the bottom of a tray, spread a crumbled cake over it, covered with another layer of verm, let it sit in the dark for a week, and when myc began to show, put it in a fruiting chamber. I just harvested my first flush which, I feel, was a moderate success yielding 200 g wet. This will give me and a few buddies something to do over the Labor Day weekend. However there is one thing that is bothering me. All of the shrooms in the first flush were less than 3 inches tall and very skinny. The shrooms that I took off the cakes from the same batch were much bigger. What are some possible reasons for this? I used Ecuadorian spores from sporelab.com. I can see my second flush coming, and I hope they're bigger (b/c size matters...hehe).

Mike

--------------------
Big Mike

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First casing results: Small shrooms [Re: Nilsen9491]
    #4614561 - 09/03/05 12:39 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Substrate depth and content are very important if you want big mushrooms.  The deeper, more nutritional base you build, the bigger mushrooms you're going to get.  Thin substrate = small mushrooms.  Try 3-4 inches (depth) of a good bulk substrate such as horse poo, cased, and you'll be pleased the results.  Congrats on your success so far, sounds like you're on the right track.
:toast:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

#4614570 - 09/03/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Well its not strain or spores. What it probably is IS THE DEPTH of your substrate. is it 3 inches or more or less? it should be 3 or more. Also the surface could be to wet maybe or to dry. And are you fanning it atleast 3 times a day?

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Re: First casing results: Small shrooms [Re: PooGrowerPart2]
    #4614635 - 09/03/05 12:50 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I know I haven't been fanning as much as I need to. I fan before I leave for work in the morning and then when I get home, and then again before I got o bed. There is a period while I am at work though, 12 hours, that I can't be here to fan. I used an old aquarium air pump to push a little bit of fresh air into the chamber while I'm away though. That seems to have done the trick.

I am a little confused over one point though. While I was eagarly awaiting responses, I looked further into some differnt casing teks, and there are some that insruct to use a bottom layer, then crumbled cake, then a top layer. Then there are others that instruct using jsut a layer of crumbled cake and a top layer. so with the 3 layer teks, I'm I to assume that from bottom to top, the layers should be something around 1", then crumbled cakes, then 3"? and for a 2 layer casing, from bottom to top, crumbled cakes and then a 3" layer?

--------------------
Big Mike

Offlinerockytop83
Ornoth/Myc/ologist

Loc: Rocky-lachians
    #4614675 - 09/03/05 12:55 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

3 in. substrate layer followed by no more than 3/4 in. casing layer. only use a casing layer of 1 in. if you have a fairly deep substrate.

--------------------

~You know that same rowdy crowd was here last night is back again~

OfflineNilsen9491
SuperNoob
 User Gallery

Re: First casing results: Small shrooms [Re: rockytop83]
    #4614692 - 09/03/05 12:58 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think I'm gonna have to find a posting somewhere that can define the names of these layers. A little more research. What I mean is, when someone refers to a "casing layer" which layer are they referring to? I'm assuming the top layer of goodies, is that right?

--------------------
Big Mike

Offlinerockytop83
Ornoth/Myc/ologist

Loc: Rocky-lachians
    #4614735 - 09/03/05 01:03 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

yea, your verm, or 50/50. the substrate layer is your crumbled cakes or WBS ect.

--------------------

~You know that same rowdy crowd was here last night is back again~

OfflinePsyWonderCap
Stranger
    #4614869 - 09/03/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

the bottom verm layer is a backup so if you over water one day it sucks it up and you wont stall your casing, also by the same token it can hold moisture in as well. Basically same consept as puttin cakes on there lids so they dont get water logged on the perilite layer

--------------------
"Dunk and Roll" How-to

OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

#4614876 - 09/03/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Click HERE 50 50 casing INSTRUCTIONS and read that.

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation