Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
"Looting" or "Finding" in pictures from New Orleans
    #4614100 - 09/02/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I did read that huge ass thread Politically incorrect to note the race of the looters?, and this is sorta related. I haven't found any threads with the pictures posted.
"Looting" or "finding"?
Quote:

Bloggers are outraged over the different captions on photos of blacks and whites in New Orleans.

Sept. 1, 2005 | Two photographs of New Orleans residents wading through chest-deep water unleashed a wave of chatter among bloggers Wednesday about whether black people are being treated unfairly in media coverage of post-hurricane looting.

One of the images, shot by photographer Dave Martin for the Associated Press, shows a young black man wading through chest-deep waters after "looting" a grocery store, according to the caption. The young man appears to have a case of Pepsi under one arm and a full garbage bag in tow. In the other, similar shot, taken by photographer Chris Graythen for AFP/Getty Images, a white man and a light-skinned woman are shown wading through chest-deep water after "finding" goods including bread and soda, according to the caption, in a local grocery store.

The images were both published on Tuesday by Yahoo News. "We don't edit photo captions," Yahoo P.R. manager Brian Nelson told Salon. "Sometimes we take a look at the photos and we'll choose to pull photos, but the captions run as is." A search of AP and Getty's image databases confirms that Yahoo News did not alter either of the photo captions before posting them online.

I can't be the first one that has seen this, but just wondering what your opinions are on it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: "Looting" or "Finding" in pictures from New Orleans [Re: daussaulit]
    #4614153 - 09/02/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It may or may not be meaningful. The captions are written by two different people, so hard to call it bias. Would be different if both captions were written by the same person. Don't even know what the race of the writer was.

Is it racist to note that I have been the victim of street crime in many incidents in my lifetime and that every single perpetrator was black even though I was living in predominently white areas? (I am Caucasian.)

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #4614155 - 09/02/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Food and drink is fine for anyone. That guy didn't loot a case a Pepsi, he found something to drink. I would hate to be black and be subjected to watching all those black people going through stores.

Double standards exist. Life isn't fair.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4614214 - 09/02/05 11:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I have no problems with people stealing food, drink, diapers, whatever - it is a matter of survival at this point.

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#4614248 - 09/02/05 11:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Not surprising, black people are never given a positive image on TV. They just keep showing images of black people doing bad things, but never the opposite. There are plenty of self proclaimed experts on this forum who get all their information from TV and the main stream media. The media controls opinion this way.

--------------------
"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media." ~ William Colby, Former Director, CIA

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion