Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Living on the Edge
    #4612982 - 09/02/05 05:21 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Look at Bodhidharma's fierce scowl. Strong as an ox, he won't take any bull. He's a radical, a rebel, a revolutionary. He knows that it's society's job to tame the individual and the individual's job to get free.

Society's propaganda will tell you that you are inadequate, that it's your fate to live in fear and beg for the approval of others, that things are just the way they are, and there's nothing you can do about it. You must resign yourself to a gray existence; you must go along to get along.

But there is Bodhidharma, fiery eyes, teeth showing, intent and determined, a free spirit who will not buy the propaganda of mediocrity. He challenges you to be free enough of society to actually transform it for the better.

That's what this is about. It's about being personally free and socially active. It is not for wimps. It takes the courage to say no to every attempt to fit you into a category and make you a carbon copy of your next door neighbor. It takes the courage to say no to every attempt to turn you into a beggar, pleading for the approval of others. It takes courage to say no to the needless suffering of your fellow man. No to becoming hypnotized and tranquilized. No to becoming greedy and indifferent. No to becoming clay in someone else's hand.

Things were no different in Bodhidharma's day. Society has always been the free man's greatest enemy. And the free man has always been society's greatest friend. How did society treat Jesus or Socrates, Galileo or Martin Luther King? Yet look what they have left behind.

Bodhidharma, if we could get him to tell us that it's our wanting to be somebody special that turns us unto slaves of approval. He is a nobody who works for everybody, who kow-tows to none, condemns none, loves all in his rascal way. Don't follow me. Be your own leader. Watch your parking meter.

What is in you, let it out. What you really want to do, do it. Don't yield to doubt. Love is the greatest religion, the greatest philosophy, the guiding light of the free man. Love is what it's all about.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRESTLESS
C.M.L.W.

Re: Living on the Edge [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4613063 - 09/02/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Who's that?

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: Living on the Edge [Re: RESTLESS]
    #4613733 - 09/02/05 09:13 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Bodhidharma was a Zen teacher. An internet search will dig up plenty of info on him.

Here's a site for starters:
Teachings of Bodhidharma

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4613810 - 09/02/05 09:36 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

I was following you until you randomly started bringing love into freedom. What exactly do you think love is?

If anything, nothingness is more conducive to freeing from all the bullshit and social taboos than love. Only in your lowest periods do you grow and break your chains. Or, as Nietzsche would say, "What does not kill me makes me stronger."

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

User Gallery

Re: Living on the Edge [Re: Ravus]
    #4614069 - 09/02/05 10:52 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

What exactly do you think love is?

If anything, nothingness is more conducive to freeing from all the bullshit and social taboos than love.

I understand that Love is an overly used and even abused word, with varying definitions. Many people consider the dreamy, sensualistic and passionate attraction towards an extremely attractive celebrity or member of the opposite sex is "love". From such neurotic infatuation they may even go so far as to commit various actions and behavior in patterns that are interestingly similar to the patterns of insanity.

Then there is yet another way of using the word love, moreso a "spiritual love", which is a characteristic of genuine inner-peace, stillness and heightened cognition. A facet of the gem, so to speak.
The reason both the words "nothingness" and "love" were bolded in the italicized statement written by yourself, is to imply the connection and similarity between the two. Stillness is the only thing in this world that has no form. Yet, it is not really a thing, and it is not really of this world. It IS nothingness.

So you?re right. If anything, Nothingness is more conducive to freeing from all the bullshit and social taboos than ?love?.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4615311 - 09/03/05 04:36 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

And yet, love is the core of it all.

--------------------

OfflinePmog
I's

Loc: (No)r(way)
Re: Living on the Edge [Re: Shroomism]
    #4615890 - 09/03/05 11:51 AM (11 years, 6 months ago)

it all, is the core of it all...

:wink:

--------------------
Life! = !Life

Life = birthing
Life = dying

!life = death <-> birth = life!
--------------------
:frown: !LIVE! :smile:
--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1