Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Loc: UK
My active picking days are now officially over, [edit, pics added]
    #4612836 - 09/02/05 02:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

This season is my 21st year of picking Psilocybe Semilanceata mushrooms. It's forever a part of me now, a way of life. I went for a long walk in Peak District today to try and locate some new fields. I got really paranoid about openly and quite obviously picking mushrooms since the introduction of the Drugs Act 2005 has made it a Class A offense. I really didn't like how it made me feel today, watching my back all the time, making sure that I wasn't being overlooked by farmhouses and thinking it only takes some twat with a mobile phone to get me busted. I have my family to think of now, I'm not 18 anymore and the consequences are no longer worth the risk. Those bastards in government have robbed me of something I hold dear, second only to my children. I enjoy hunting far too much to ever stop, but I think from now on I will endeavor to take the ultimate photograph, walking slowly around a field with my head down in the sure knowledge that if I am stopped I can tell them to fuck off and mind their own business. Sorry about that, but I am not feeling too good right now, in mourning one could say.

i took a load of pictures and will do a trek soon. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Edited by astralasia (09/03/05 06:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: astralasia]
    #4613025 - 09/02/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My girlfriend has just read this and said I'm being mellow dramatic, well maybe I am but we have been together for four years, my eldest is eight. I was picking years before they came along. As far as I am concerned, its my basic human right to roam and collect wild mushrooms.

InvisiblenuGGs
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: astralasia]
    #4613289 - 09/02/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

astralasia said:
As far as I am concerned, its my basic human right to roam and collect wild mushrooms.

yup, i'm sure "god" would say the same thing.
dont sweat it brother, you could probably use your age to your advantage out there if you were to ever get spotted and/or harassed.

keep your head up man.. it aint all bad. :thumbup:

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: nuGGs]
    #4614062 - 09/02/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, you could just tell them that you dropped a hearing aide while you were pretending to not be able to hear them questioning you!!  :lol:

Just messing with ya', Man.  Sorry to hear that one of your passions has been crushed by ridiculous drug laws. :thumbdown:

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4614117 - 09/02/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Join a recognized fungi group, become a member of your local biodiversity team and pick other fungi as well as actives when your hunting, the police won't have a leg to stand on  :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Loc: lazy river road
Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4614372 - 09/02/05 10:02 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

can you walk a dog while your out there. i dont know if you do that in britain.

--------------------
"Truth is more in the process than in the result."
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: hot48yearolds]
    #4614406 - 09/02/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hot48yearolds said:
can you walk a dog while your out there. i don't know if you do that in Britain.

We tend to eat dogs here in Britain.

In fact, most of the UK restaurants allow you to pick your dog of choice (kinda like picking lobsters from a tank) before cooking them to your liking  :wink:

--------------------

--------------------

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4614877 - 09/02/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wow, thats amazing. i really didnt know that!  :finger:

--------------------
- J. Krishnamurti

"We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived." Wei Wu Wei

Offlineflimflam
Stranger
    #4615120 - 09/03/05 01:03 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

are they out yet here in uk as i went a week ago and never seen any,(in fields were they used to grow ,im in north east

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: flimflam]
    #4615254 - 09/03/05 02:12 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bi0TeK said:
Join a recognized fungi group, become a member of your local biodiversity team and pick other fungi as well as actives when your hunting, the police won't have a leg to stand on  :wink:

I had already thought about that, I contacted my local group last year but never got around to going on a meet. My hunting days are from over, picking the odd active for identification purposes is one thing, coming off a field with a couple of thousand in a carrier bag, which is what I was hoping for, is an entirely different matter. As it happens I only found about a dozen.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #4615282 - 09/03/05 02:25 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I would agree that you are maybe being slightly melodramatic...being able to pick your shrooms legally for the past 21 years has been a privillige for you that you must have come to take for granted. In most places in the world it is illegal to pick shrooms just as it is in your country now. You'll get used to it. Although I do agree that it REALLY sucks that they have banned them in yet another country, that is always a bummer.

You just need to be more selective with your patches. Find nice paddocs around in the countryside that aren't in view of the farmhouse and preferably the road too. Hilly farmland is good for this. Also get a book of 'daywalks' in your area and find ones that cross or go near farmland...then its more legit to be there.

And obviously, don't pick huge quantities. 100 liberties provides a pretty decent trip so if you go and pick a couple hundred, thats not too many, if you saw someone approaching you could ditch them on the ground or whatever. Just don't walk around with huge bags full. I like to keep my pickings to a size that can fit in my (large, hehe) coat pockets.

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: flimflam]
    #4615335 - 09/03/05 02:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

that does suck Astral...

on the other hand, you should be thankful for all those wonderful years of worry-free picking you were priviledged to...Most of us in the States have never had that pleasure. When i go out to my patches where i live, there is always SOME sense of worry or stress.

Anyways, im sorry that your country has now put the lockdown on active mushrooms  :frown: its just not right. these things are beautiful, magical specimens that grow from the earth, and theyre Scheduled by the government as a higher danger priority than methamphetamines and pain pills...ugh.

Can we get some more logically minded people together and re-write that Drug Schedule? lol

You are lucky in that youre older...definite advantage for hunting if you ask me.

{Peace}

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: Soularize]
    #4615547 - 09/03/05 05:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

OK, my girlfriend was right, I am overreacting to this and I must confess that I was a bit pissed when I wrote it and reading it back is somewhat embarrassing.

Its only really been the last few years that fresh mushrooms have been completely legal, before that the law was very ambiguous but most people seemed to think that as long as they weren't prepared in any way then you were OK. Still, I would not liked to have been caught with a lot as I'm sure the police would try to press charges for intent to supply. I have always been very careful when picking, choosing remote places away from roads and avoiding houses as best I can. Age does help, I look like a normal run of the mill type of guy, balding slightly wearing hiking boots with a rucksack and map. This has not changed, but paranoia kicked in big time and I had an irrational sense of doom and fear of being caught, a very unpleasant experience. I enjoy picking (or should I say hunting) so much, its a passion and if the only way I can enjoy it is not to pick any actives but photograph them and pick other species then so be it. I want to be able wander freely without feeling like a criminal. Anyway, I've said my bit and I'll shut up about it now.
I only found a few, but here are some pictures.

This shows the blue on the stem

Edited by astralasia (09/03/05 06:22 AM)

Offlinehot48yearolds
Dharmakaya
Male User Gallery
    #4616022 - 09/03/05 10:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

If i had to think of the perfect day it would be to walk those green hills with some close friends and eat the liberty caps while i am finding them.

--------------------
- J. Krishnamurti

OfflineWilf
Loc: England
    #4616055 - 09/03/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

To be honest I've not read the details of the new law so am not fully aware of how it will affect me.

I am just beginning the process of mushroom hunting and have been out looking for some possible sites in the Oxfordshire area where I now live, but most of the promising sites I looked at were on the dry side at the moment, I think. I'm getting hold of a book or two and learning about habitats etc....

I think the main focus of the new law was to target headshops, websites, festival stalls (at Leeds etc last year there was way way more on sale than previously) and stop them selling fresh shrooms.

In my opinion it won't really affect people like you who research, go out hiking, and pick naturally occuring liberty caps out in the relative wilderness. I know you said you often used to pick many many mushrooms and now worry about being caught, but there won't be police out in the peaks watching walkers and their activities. It will be of little concern to them, even if you collect many. In my experience most shrooms being sold by dealers are cultivated and that's where much of the focus will be, as well as on shops, stall, websites....etc.

It certainly won't affect me going hunting (though admittedly I am just learning and won't be collect bucketloads) and it also won't stop me from trying to grow them in small amounts. I think you should carry on as normal and enjoy your walking and hunting, you are not the target of the new laws.

Edited by Wilf (09/03/05 11:13 AM)

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: Wilf]
    #4616290 - 09/03/05 12:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I know its completely irrational, I couldn't help how it made me feel. Look at the place, it can't get much safer than that, its only accessible by foot and sheep out number people by 500 to 1.

Quote:

hot48yearolds said:
If i had to think of the perfect day it would be to walk those green hills with some close friends and eat the liberty caps while i am finding them.

i found a beautiful spot down by the river next to a young oak woodland, perfect place to camp out away from the rest of the world. Light a fire and put the kettle on, tea anyone :smile:

As far as the law goes, I found this very interesting thread on another forum. http://www.partyvibe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4304

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #4616653 - 09/03/05 02:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, I had forgoetten how insanely beautiful those rolling hills in the UK are  :smile:

I really hope to return back there someday...you live in a BEAUTIFUL place Astral (as if you werent already aware hehe).

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Offlineastralasia
UK_shroomhead

Re: My active picking days are now officially over, a very sad day [Re: Soularize]
    #4617039 - 09/03/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I couldn't agree more.

Edited by astralasia (09/03/05 05:57 PM)

OfflineWilf
Loc: England
    #4617285 - 09/03/05 07:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It's a very interesting link and as I thought it might be, the law seems to be focussed on "the commercial import" of magic mushrooms.

And to me at least, that might not be the worst thing to happen.

It mentions the huge rise in shops selling "magic mushrooms" and the increased usage. This is what I've seen in general and the law will stop an increase in the number of people using/taking them without understanding what they are doing.

To the people who are really interested in cultivating/hunting fresh mushrooms this law should mean very little. And I bet the people behind the section on "destroying" mushrooms within their property realise the ridiculousness of this!!!

Nice pics of the peaks too. I had one of my best trips camping on a hill near LadyBower the other year, was a great night.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

#4617380 - 09/03/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I hunt in the Peak District too, normally the Dark Peak region and shall continue to do so despite the law.

Besides, most of my favourite haunts are well away from roads or farm houses and I can pick for hours on end without seeing a single soul !  :laugh:

What about hunting edibles? I get just as much if not more of a kick  hunting tasty gourmet shrooms than I do actives!

Just a thought.

--------------------

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom