Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
I've got a cave..
    #4611639 - 09/02/05 06:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hi mates,
i've got a cave near my house, the floor is around 3 meters under the land and during august the min temperature was 12.2 ?C and the highest 13.0 ?C. My uncle said me that during the year the temperature is constant. I cannot check the humidity because i haven't a good hygrometer but i suppose it's very high because the fern grow greatly. So i had an idea: why don't use this cave to grow mushrooms?!

the only thing that stops me is the temperature...too much low.

Anyone can suggest me different mushrooms to grow in this ambient?

ps. there's no light.

here the pic: the place where i'd like to grow mushrooms is inner (the pic show just the entrance of the cave)

thank you a lot!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: I've got a cave.. [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #4611825 - 09/02/05 09:22 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

that would be really cool! The only problem I would think you would run into is contamination, unless you are growing a species that does well outdoors...

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
Re: I've got a cave.. [Re: dr0mni]
    #4611898 - 09/02/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

oh no..i make the master spaw at home and then the bulk over there..don't believe that contaminations are so a great problem for the mushrooms. the important step is the germination of the spawn and the master spawn :smile:

i wait for the suggestions..

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4611928 - 09/02/05 10:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

WOW! with this kind of cave, I would make wine. Wine, you know, is a liquid culture. Other people, like me, pay a lot of money for such a set up of constant, low temperature...

Unless you have wind in the cave, which I doubt, the humidity is close to 100%. Are the walls wet? I think they are, because they look green.

Go for the wine!

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
    #4612137 - 09/02/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yes they are wet. the air circulation is very restricted. this cave is used in fact to cold the wine during the hot seasons. we produce more than 10000 liters for year of white wine...

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4616039 - 09/03/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Do you grow mushrooms on the grape waste? Some mushrooms will grow on this waste, when mixed with straw or wood chips. However, a very intensive research is required to determine what mushroom and what strain.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
Re: I've got a cave.. [Re: wideweb]
    #4616794 - 09/03/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

no i've never tryed and i know this method but i can't imagine how it works: grape waste with a couple of weeks become very acid so the pH is very low and mycelium shouldn't grow.

i'll try for this year if i'll have time to sterilize grape into some jars with straw and inoculate them.

ANYONE CAN SUGGEST ME A MUSHROOM TO GROW INTO MY CAVE?

Edited by FreeSporePrints (09/03/05 03:48 PM)

Offlineonetree
Stranger
    #4618514 - 09/04/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Exotic mushrooms grown here include Asian varieties called shiitake, enoki, nameko, shimeji and chestnut, often still rare in Australia.

Microbiologist Noel Arrold has bred special strains of exotic mushrooms to suit Australian conditions. The environmental conditions in the tunnel are 16 - 17 degrees Centigrade and the humidity is 80 to 90 per cent, so he has selected strains that will grow in those conditions. They are very close to the atmospheric conditions in the mountainous regions of China and Japan and Korea where these mushrooms grow naturally.

Noel adds mushroom cultures to sterilized cooked wheat and stores them in a climate-controlled nursery until they are planted out at his ?farm? ? a disused railway tunnel in the NSW Southern Highlands, 70 metres underground.

Noel took over the long stretch of tunnel 15 years ago and has gradually built up the number of varieties he grows. The mushrooms are wood-decaying fungi which help to break down dead wood in birch and oak forests, not readily found in Australia. So Noel came up with the idea of a unique growing system using eucalyptus sawdust, rather than compost, which is packed into bags.

http://www.sbs.com.au/foodlovers/produce.php?id=13&seriesID=4&episodeID=0 />

Hope this helps a bit.  :cool:

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
Re: I've got a cave.. [Re: onetree]
    #4618550 - 09/04/05 01:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

just a bit :smile:

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
    #4618743 - 09/04/05 05:26 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Since you have no light in the cave I suggest you try non- photosensitive species such as Portobello's and White buttons (Agraricus brunnescens).

A cave is a great place for growing portobello's. The temp. might be a bit low. Ideal fruiting temperatures for Agraricus brunnescens is 16 - 18 degrees C, but you can try. Also you would need to create or buy good quality compost.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
    #4618745 - 09/04/05 05:32 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yes i knew for the a.brunnescens. but i'm trying to know also other strain that grow in this ambient!

thank you comunque!

Offlinewideweb
fungisist
 User Gallery

#4621406 - 09/05/05 12:39 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Here is something I have found re grape seed:
"Delayed-Release Nutrient
Inventors Peter Romaine and Alan Marlow obtained a patent on a seed-based delayed release nutrient source for mushroom cultivation. The patent (# 5,427,592) has been assigned to The Penn State Research Foundation (University Park, Pennsylvania). In Agaricus cultivation, protein-rich supplements are often added to the composted substrate either at the time of spawning or at the time the substrate is covered with a peat or soil "casing". These supplements are typically treated to prevent contaminants from getting access to them before the mushroom's mycelium. According to the patent, Spawn Mate accomplishes this by formaldehyde denaturation of the protein and the Campbell Soup Company encases the protein in a film of the water-soluble fungicide "Mertect". These processes are patented by the firms involved. The patent at hand covers the use of heat-treated seeds from oilseed plants. Apparently the heat-treating process prevents the seed from germinating and they function quite well as a delayed release nutrient without further processing. Rape seed seems to work the best. The obvious advantage to this process is the elimination of the chemicals associated with the other patented processes."

From: http://www.mushroomcompany.com/9509/mgnl_995_patents.html#rp

More links:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23463

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery
    #4621441 - 09/05/05 12:50 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

too much complicated for us :smile:))

grape seed? is very very very very hard to find them also because with some 100 kg you obtain arounf 3-4 kg of seed that are wet and have chemicals substances into used during the process to make the wine..

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5772843 - 06/20/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe age some cheese and let the natural fungi to the cave do the cureing process. Then you got cheese made with your own natural lands inhabitants.

But if you want mushroosm i say white buttons would be a good low level light species.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale