Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia Flag
Quit it!..& now I know how!
    #4611775 - 09/02/05 10:37 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd like to thank all of you guys who have supported me during this last week as I dragged myself through the process of breaking my cigarette addiction. It has now been exactly 7 days since I have last had a cigarette. So, a thank you goes out to all of you guys who have inspired me to quit and those who have supported me throughout the process.

Pluto

Edited by Plutonium (09/09/05 10:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: Tien]
    #4611817 - 09/02/05 11:15 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I just reconcile all the junkies who kick crack & heroin. If they can get through that, anyone can break a tobacco addiction.

Not much help, but just bear that in mind.

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #4611826 - 09/02/05 11:22 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mushie_Man said:
I just reconcile all the junkies who kick crack & heroin. If they can get through that, anyone can break a tobacco addiction.

Not much help, but just bear that in mind.

Cigarettes are JUST AS TOUGH to quit as heroin or crack/cocain..if not harder.

InvisibleMushie_Man
Fuck Up

Loc: UK
    #4611836 - 09/02/05 11:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I personally wouldn't of through so, but there again I'm no crack addict.

I guess with cigarettes there alot cheaper and widely used. When soothing a craving for a cigarette all you need is to light up and carry on your day. More simple than spending all you have got just for the next fix until you hit rock bottom. So i guess in a way its mostly circumstantial.

--------------------
Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#4611884 - 09/02/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

As a fellow smoker who is facing the prospect of quitting, let me tell you of some of the things I've been reading/ researching lately in order to quit.

Nicotine has been shown to be as addictive as heroin, for starters. All addictive chemicals cause changes in the brain, which is what brings on the withdrawal symptoms. You're not just fighting a habit. Research also shows that some people's brains are genetically predisposed to addiction. This is why some people can be recreational smokers (I always envied those people) and others can't. It also explains why some people find it easier to quit than others.

I have no plans of doing the cold turkey thing. I'll be using every prop known to Man, including patches.

--------------------

Edited by Gliders (09/02/05 12:12 PM)

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #4611885 - 09/02/05 12:12 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

you really have to want to quit. If you can get past the first couple cravings then after you realize how much you really didnt need that cigarette. My biggest piece of advice would be to stay away from smokers and keep yourself occupied.
once you break it as a habit then you realize you dont NEED it. and then it doesnt control you.

i use to smoke a lot but once i realized that i could pass up cigarettes when i craved them that was all I needed as proof to motivate me

Offlineprefloppro
Last Call
    #4611903 - 09/02/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Just quit. Quit whining and get it done. Its hard, but anything worth doing has its obstacles. The main thing I learned when kicking an addiction is to find something to fill the void. Most people get larger when they quit because instead of smoking they eat. On breaks from work and anytime I feel the urge to light up I just think about how black my lungs are getting, and how at work I dont get winded like I used to. I quit cold turkey and you can to. You just need to quit whining and get it done, simple as that. Fuck physical addicitons, its all in your head. Mind over matter.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #4611918 - 09/02/05 12:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I did it, and so can you. This website is devoted to quitting cold turkey, which is the most effective way to quit hands down. It works, believe me. Make it 3 days absolutely smoke free, and it gets exponentially easier from that point on. Spend some time here when you decide to quit:

www.whyquit.com

Quote:

It can take up to 72 hours for the blood-serum to become nicotine-free and 90% of nicotine's metabolites to exit the body via your urine. It's then that the anxieties associated with readjustment normally peak in intensity and begin to gradually decline.

But just one powerful "hit" of nicotine and you?ll again face another 72 hours of detox anxieties. It's why the one puff survival rate is almost zero. None of us are stronger than nicotine but then we don?t need to be as it is simply a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It does not plot, plan or conspire and is not some demon within us. Our most effective weapon against it is, and always has been, our vastly superior intelligence but only if put to work.

Also, be advised that patches/gum are no way to quit, and the success rate from these programs is next to zero.

Quote:

The key to nicotine dependency recovery is not in dragging out the 72 hours of detox by toying for weeks or months with gradual nicotine weaning or other creative means for delivering nicotine. The nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) industry want smokers to believe that a natural poison is medicine, that its use is therapy, and that it is somehow different from the tobacco plant's nicotine molecule. The truth is that the pharmaceutical industry buys its nicotiana from the exact same growers as the tobacco industry. They want you to believe that double-blind placebo controlled studies proved that NRT doubles a cold turkey quitters odds of quitting and that only superheros can quit without it. The truth is that their studies were not blind as claimed, and that all but a tiny sliver of earth's successful quitters are quitting entirely on their own. Here are a few facts that those selling creative nicotine delivery devices would rather you not know:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4612352 - 09/02/05 02:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I quit a year ago after 8 year of pack a day, although I must confess I do have a cigarette or two lately during the weekends. I?m working on that though. What I found most helpful was not to try and feel like I don?t want a cigarette, but to feel how much I want it. I allowed myself to feel the pain and agony of wanting it yet not reacting to that want. I allowed the feelings to pass over me and through me. And then they were gone and I was out. The only way out, really is through.

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4612374 - 09/02/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Think of withdraw as a cold or flu.

It's only temporary and you'll be fine after a while.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #4612376 - 09/02/05 02:36 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redtailedhawk said:
The only way out, really is through.

Well said  :thumbup:

You can battle with it and rationalize forever, "only a pack a week now", or "two cigarettes a day is healthy", but unless you completely break through and rid the body of nicotine, it's still present and you're still addicted.

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4613285 - 09/02/05 06:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

OK...after reading all the replies I have come to a decision that I will no longer purchase or ask anyone for cigarettes. I have 4 cancer sticks left in my pack, they should last me the whole night. Starting tomorrow morning I will quit smoking cigarettes. I'm going to be such a stress ball. If my girlfriend did it...so can I. For me, for my lungs, for the people who love me. I can feel this habit breaking down my inner physique. Yet I was unable to resist that urge for another cigarette. My girlfriend wanted me to quit for a while now, but I couldn't find the motivation. Now my motivation will be my physical health. I need my lungs, I wanna be able to run two blocks without having to take 10 minutes to restablize my breath.

I need all of you guys here for me too, please...I will vent my feelings in this thread, when I need to.

Thanks for all the motivating responses.

Pluto
I know I can.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4613336 - 09/02/05 07:04 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I smoked for about 3 years, and quit - completely cold turkey, all in one day. This was about 4 years ago.

Aside from the obvious realization that I wasn't actually happy with smoking - or rather with what I was doing to myself and my body by smoking - and with the waste of money and nasty smell that comes with it all, one essential and fundamental key to my success in quitting, was the initiation of physical health activities; excercising and eating healthy. When the body is unhealthy and poor, it becomes the boss. When the body is strong and healthy, it follows the mind and spirit. A stronger center is built, and from there you have greater power to say "no" to bullshit - in this case, your attachments to tobacco.

In short - pump some iron and eat yer damn spinach.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4613376 - 09/02/05 07:20 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I have never been a smoker.  But, I have known lots of smokers who tried to quit and who did quit.

Some things I have noticed:

1.  Cigarettes are hard to quit (but you already knew that :smirk:).  I had a friend that used to smoke and be a heroin addict.  He said that quitting cigarettes was way harder than quitting heroin.

2.  All of the gimmicks (little computers, patches, gums, etc..) don't fucking work.  Everybody I knew who used those things never quit.

3.  The only people that I saw who quit were people that were sick of smoking.  They really didn't like it anymore and they used their own willpower to just stop doing it.

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4613921 - 09/02/05 10:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, Randall, Sick of smoking-- that's the key!  I've quit for months-- even a year-- at a time, and the beginning was never really that hard.  It was staying "quit" that was hard.  The reason?  I never really got sick of smoking.  I wanted to change my image, to be more acceptable to others, etc... in other words, useless reasons to quit.  Now, I'm considering quitting because I'm getting tired of the smell and the expense and the slavery of it all.  So I'll be right behind Plutonium after a while.  Just after I'm done with this last carton.  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #4616609 - 09/03/05 04:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I quit with the quit smoking pill, Zyban.

Except I got it prescribed as Wellbutrin.

(Zyban and Wellbutrin are both different names for one chemical, Bupropion.)

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

#4616621 - 09/03/05 04:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

How's the non-smoking going?

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Quit it!..but how? [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #4616791 - 09/03/05 05:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I havent smoked in about 19 hours now..funny the cravings aren't that strong yet...I think about it, and then push to the back of my head. I feel twitchy though and when I think about cigarettes my heart speeds up. So far so good...just gotta keep doing stuff.

P.S. a week ago I didn't even think that I could last this long without smoking, but I feel OK..pissed off a bit, but calm.

I just keep thinking "well if I quit I'm not gonna end up looking like this guy"

Edited by Plutonium (09/03/05 05:44 PM)

InvisibleTien
人民英雄
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4618956 - 09/04/05 11:43 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Day 2.

It's almost 12 pm here, and I still haven't cracked. Oh, I want a cigarette so bad right now. I'm not gonna have one though, I have to quit. You know, it's kind of fun to feel all these cravings and not do anything to please them. It feels like I am clensing myself.

So far, so good.

Pluto

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

#4619007 - 09/04/05 12:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That's good to hear.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being