Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
Mexicana Results
    #4607849 - 09/01/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Before I begin this post, I just wanna say I read everything everyone replied in my recent post asking help on what to do with rye grass seed to get the right consistency, and definitly want to say thanks a lot. Anyhow, I decided to use a little wbs in the mix instead of vermiculite like you guys said, just to see if it'd work, since you all were leaning to adding something to the substrate instead of changing the procedure. I made 5 quart jars half full and they all fully colonized in only a week and half simply from a syringe!! The downside is that I only had 2 that didn't contam on me. The third and fifth have a slight green all over the white, and the forth jar has black all throughout the white(just thinking about it makes me sad), so I thought I'd post everything I did and maybe someone can give me an idea of what I've done wrong, 'cause I thought I did way more than was needed and I still keep getting contamned grain jars. So here's my process.

Big bowl of wbs filled with water, got rid of all sunflower seeds, strained and rinsed thoroghly. Refilled with water and let soak for almost 24 hours, then strained and rinsed thoroghly again. Then added water and simmered for about 25 min. In another pan simmered rye grass seed for about the same time. When both were done, mixed together at about 65 % rye to 35% wbs and filled my jars half full. Taped one hole and pushed polyfil into the other hole and covered w/foil and pc'd at 15psi for 1 hour. Let cool and and all jars shook very nicely but still had a noticeable moisture content to it so I figured I'd finally gotten a good consistency. Inoculated with only 1cc each and put in the dark at about 78 degrees (woulda liked it to be warmer) and then hence what I wrote before.

So if anyone has any idea why 3 of 5 contamned, please tell me. Am i not pc-ing long enough!? Thanks as always.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushfarmer2005
Stranger
Re: Mexicana Results [Re: midnightdriffter]
    #4609262 - 09/01/05 04:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You peak too much :P and i like to leave the foil off but thats me.... how did u sterilise the needle? Did you? Where is the incubator located in the house?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mexicana Results [Re: mushfarmer2005]
    #4610476 - 09/01/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It would either be that you only PCed for 60 minutes (I have much better results with 90, always better to go over, then cut short)...or your inoculation procedures. Its also a slight chance that they werent kept clean enough while incubating. I personally only use tyvek, perhaps the polyfil got to wet, or wastn stuffed enough or something as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
Re: Mexicana Results [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4611183 - 09/02/05 12:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Alright then, I go for an extra 30 minutes on pc-ing. I am pretty sure the polyfil didn't get too wet, but I will do my best to let the pc cool down and have the incubator in a small room being heppa filtered. Now, about the needle. I usually only flame it with a regular Bic between every hole, but have been known to hit it with an alcohol swab first, not this time though. Should I do both? Do you all think all of this should be good, 'cuase I have noticed that the wbs will almost start to open up on me up, and then, I get the mold. So maybe the extra 30 minutes will get inside there and kill what ever's still living (or waiting to be). Any how, I will break up my jars and do some g2g and start new jars and let ya know when they become colonized, so thank you as always.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4611917 - 09/02/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Flaming is never needed, except maybe once, the first time you use a syringe you recieved. Alcohol NEEDS to be used EVERY time, and you also need to be swabbing the spot your injecting (like the doctors office). It helps to inject through the swab as well, then remove the needle into the swab. So you wipe the needle on its way in, on its way out, and the hole you inject all at once. Chances are, this was your biggest problem.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinemidnightdriffter
Stranger
    #4612759 - 09/02/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

ahhhh, excellent thinking, thank you very much

Offlinemushfarmer2005
Stranger
    #4615497 - 09/03/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

lol... I like to use flameing then alcohol swabing in between every jar. That way I know for sure that it was sterile. Maybe over cautious but I have a 95% success(wow i cant spell) rate on my jars, and I go by the policy "Don't mess with success!"

Offlinespaceman
mushroom head
 User Gallery

Re: Mexicana Results [Re: mushfarmer2005]
    #4615551 - 09/03/05 05:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I used to flame the needle all the time when I first started but got way to many contams. Now I pretty much just wipe the needle down and only flame it after it's been stored a long time. Scat knows his stuff!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4615559 - 09/03/05 06:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:

Flaming is never needed, except maybe once, the first time you use a syringe you recieved. Alcohol NEEDS to be used EVERY time, and you also need to be swabbing the spot your injecting (like the doctors office). It helps to inject through the swab as well, then remove the needle into the swab. So you wipe the needle on its way in, on its way out, and the hole you inject all at once. Chances are, this was your biggest problem.

I only flame a needle if I'm using old needles...

when making up spore syringes...in old used stuff.

I usually just use new needles and syringes...

cause I buy them by the 100's.

I dred using old stuff!~

lolzz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
    #4615730 - 09/03/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

midnightdriffter said:
...Then added water and simmered for about 25 min. In another pan simmered rye grass seed for about the same time...

every time i simmer i get visited by the green contam. simmering released starches that make your substrate prone to contam. now i just skip the simmering step and all my jars grow healthy without any problems. try a batch without simmering.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds