Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
Occult?
    #4609136 - 09/01/05 03:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Why are occult practices looked down upon in today's society? In all honesty they are no more absurd than the typical religious practices, just generally somewhat more abscure, and 'hidden' from mainstream thought.

But what bothers me is that people are being traind that 'occult' practices are bad. Today i was watching a documentary on the aztec's (which i did not know their civilization was so amazing until i watched it) in school. The documentary hyped them up, talking of their scientific advancements and their achievements in architecture and herbal medecines and natural remedies. But as soon as the documentery got to the section talking of religious practices and differences from that of the catholic church, the music got ominous and evil sounding. Now, even though many practices were associated with human sacrafice, and other practices (induced by natural drugs, even though the documentary did not talk of these things because im sure it would be politically 'un' correct) i still did not see the need for it to be ominous and evil sounding.

I mean honestly, their practices are not that absurd if you think about it, compared with many other religious faction's practices. At least the aztec's used human life for something they thought to be noble and enlightening, rather than just worthlessly killing in warfare. The documentary stated that the aztecs did not kill everyone they attacked, merely wounded them so that their lives could be sacraficed to the 'gods' rather than just wasting lives. They were appauled by the spainyard view of 'fight to kill' rather than using the human life, revered as sacred and of the gods, for a noble deed.

I honestly just don't see the logic in it. Sociatel (sp?) standards are rather frustrating these days, especially with the christian church governing what is just and moral.

discuss.

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Occult? [Re: SerioOria]
    #4609171 - 09/01/05 04:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i think the most people relate the occult to witchcraft and shit like that.

Personnally i love it...its so mysterious and such :smile:

ever been to www.dannycarey.org and read the philosophy thing?

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Re: Occult? [Re: Vulture]
    #4609186 - 09/01/05 04:09 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yea, i didnt read through the whole thing, it seemed to be a really long story
i skipped to the end where tey talked about smoking the pineal gland (at least thats what i got out of it)

o yea, i got a couple books on astral projection, both by william bullham, ive read some and im startin to do the practices but not much luck as of yet, fingers crossed tho

i can sometimes get into the vibrational state, its weird when i do because i focus and it goes away :frown:

--------------------
or
My ArT!!

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

#4609197 - 09/01/05 04:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i know what your tlaking about dude. William Bullham is the shit.

It might take about a month for some to get results...but if your alreayd getting to the vibrational state thats fucking awesome! Breaking through is the touchy tho :/

--------------------

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

#4609239 - 09/01/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yea, ive been able to see through my eyes on several occasions, but its usually under strange circumstances that are somewhat hard to recreate, or that i can not easily repeat by my own doing

its really weird, i know you said you were into it a while back, have you taken interest in it again or what?

--------------------
or
My ArT!!

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

#4609255 - 09/01/05 04:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well...not relly...i have been meaning to but i a huge procrastinator so meh :/

--------------------

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#4611352 - 09/02/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the position most people take on 'occult' topics is brought on by the conditioning that they have received to even the word itself. occult, which simply mean 'hidden' has a vast aura of evil that surrounds it in common understanding. it strikes fear in people because of this, and the influence by mainstream religion and all things 'good' push people away from examining what occult studies really entail. and then you have people that glorify the dark side of the occult and things like 'satanism' for their shock value. it's a whole mess of ignorance.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4611633 - 09/02/05 05:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The "christian church" [sic] is not governing anything. Society requires certain 'utilitarian' principles in order to be a society. The good of the many outweigh the good of the few, or the one. I know - sounds Vulcan, but in truth it is logical, not based on church dogmatics. Cutting a million people's hearts out of their chests with an obsidian knife so quickly that the dying sacrifice can see his own bloody heart in the hand of the 'priest,' is an awfully "ominous and evil sounding" thing is it not??? Do you NOT have a problem with millions of unwilling sacrificial victims having their hearts cut out while the steps of an Aztec ziggurat is bathed in blood for their sun god? It seems to me that even sadistic Catholic Spanish conquerers were a tad less evil.

Occult simply means hidden. There is much in each religion that is hidden from the multitudes, but the word used is 'esoteric,' not occult. The occult is esoteric, but not everything esoteric is occult. The esoteric part of religion stands 'hidden' from the exoteric beliefs of the multitudes. Only those who are 'in the know' are aware of the deeper, or higher truths embodied by the esoteric dimension of religion.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: Occult? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4612480 - 09/02/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Being of the Gnostics, Markos would most likely speak with authority on this topic. So would it be false to say, that even the teachings of Christianity exist on an inner and outer level? Would esoteric Christianity cross over into what would be considered occult? I am aware that such a connection is established from the other side, as many practices and paradigms in high magic and occult philosophy build on a Christian themes.

Invisibledorkus
Re: Occult? *DELETED* [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4612727 - 09/02/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Occult? [Re: dorkus]
    #4612943 - 09/02/05 03:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Richard Cavendish's book? It was popular in the 1970's if that's the one you mean. There is also The Black Art by Rollo Ahmed.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Occult? [Re: Smack31]
    #4613089 - 09/02/05 03:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Christianity definately has esoteric traditions. Not Theosophical interpretations, but legitimate traditions within Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox denominations. Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox respectively:

And, a diagram of Frithjof Schuon's many-sided mountain of religions where the outer-exoteric narrows and becomes the inner-esoteric before reaching the Summit where there is Truth - which is ONE.

--------------------

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
    #4613115 - 09/02/05 03:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SerioOria said:
But as soon as the documentery got to the section talking of religious practices and differences from that of the catholic church, the music got ominous and evil sounding.

:whatever:

Invisibledorkus
    #4613256 - 09/02/05 04:40 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Edited by dr_mandelbrot (09/02/05 04:41 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4613497 - 09/02/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I enjoyed Cavendish's book. He became one of the editors for the 24 volume series Man, Myth and Magic that I finally got a set of some 20 years later. I remember the two guys who scrawled "Tetragrammaton" over the doorway for protection, and preformed some ritual which ended up killing them. That book was well known during the occult revival of the early 70s. Unfortunately, during my 'born again' phase of the late 70's, I burned my occult collection in the snow with a can of Wizard brand barbecue fluid.

--------------------

Invisibledorkus
    #4613516 - 09/02/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#4614332 - 09/02/05 09:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Transubstantiation of bread and wine into Body and Blood rates as White Magick, Catholic style. Magick always serves the magus, no matter how healing or benevolent the motive appears. It is attempting to control powers (thaumaturgy) unless the operator, like Moses is acting as an agent for the Divine (Theurgy), and is thus a servant of GOD.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4614733 - 09/02/05 11:03 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The Aztecs were a fascinating society, and they did not deserve what the Spanish inflicted on them, BUT their society was ruled by a priesthood that used the threat of human sacrifice to control the populace. It is widely thought that this same sort of social order incited the revolt that led to the downfall of Mayan civilization. The Aztecs were tyrannical, and bloodthirsty oppressors that were so hated by the tribes they dominated, for tribute of goods and humans to sacrifice, that these tribes threw their lot in with Cortez against the Aztecs. It was not Spanish soldiers that brought down Tenochtitlan...it was an army of natives led by Cortez. Human sacrifice in any form IS ominous and evil. Even the Aztec citizens recognized this. The priesthood used the threat of it to gain many advantages such as the right to deflower any virgins in the kingdom if they saw fit. If cooperation was not forthcoming...well, there was always the alter.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom