Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Finish this sentence. . .
    #4608993 - 09/01/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I've posted this same question in a few threads, but they are buried deep within it and I think it will just lead to derailing them. So here goes again...

Quote:

Bush declares emergency in Louisiana (Hurricane Katrina)

AP ^ | Aug. 27, 2005 | Staff

CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Saturday because of the approach of Hurricane Katrina and his spokesman urged residents along the coast to heed authorities' advice to evacuate.

Bush, vacationing at his ranch, was being regularly updated about the storm, which is expected to hit land early Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency continue to coordinate with state authorities in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama, and have prepositioned supplies in areas expected to be affected, he said.

The president's emergency declaration authorizes the FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts and to provide appropriate assistance in a number of Louisiana parishes, or counties.

Authorities told residents of low-lying coastal communities to head for higher ground. The storm was expected to strengthen as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico and could become a Category 4 hurricane with wind of at least 131 mph.

"We urge residents in the areas that could be impacted to follow the recommendations of local authorities," McClellan said.

So Bush made sure that the federal agency in charge of emergencies was authorized to do what they needed to do. He made sure that people were warned of what was coming. He made sure that the NatGuard had supplies on hand, he is getting 10$B from Congress and Rice said that we'd accept aid from ANY nation that offered. I know it goes against the liberal (and conservative) extremists to violate their rally cry of "I don't know what to do, but clearly whats being done now is wrong!", but maybe Swami or Vex or someone can prove me wrong.

What Bush should have done in order to better prepare for this disaster is . . .

And the race is on.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Edited by MagicalMystery (09/01/05 05:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4609012 - 09/01/05 05:32 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

"George W Bush gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday," says the New York Times in an editorial.

"He advised the public that anybody who wanted to help should send cash, grinned, and promised that everything would work out in the end.

"And nothing about the president's demeanour yesterday - which seemed casual to the point of carelessness - suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis."

Global warming?

It demanded to know why Congress had been in the process of cutting the area's flood protection budget.

"Complacency will no longer suffice, especially if experts are right in warning that global warming may increase the intensity of future hurricanes. But since this administration won't acknowledge that global warming exists, the chances of leadership seem minimal," it said.

Even a conservative paper, New Hampshire's Manchester Union-Leader, took the president to task.

"The cool, confident, intuitive leadership Bush exhibited in his first term, particularly in the months immediately following 11 September 2001, has vanished," it says.

"In its place is a diffident detachment unsuitable for the leader of a nation facing war, natural disaster and economic uncertainty."

The economic angle is picked up in the Los Angeles Times, as disrupted supply of gas and oil from the Gulf of Mexico pushes fuel prices higher.

"One of the problems Katrina has exposed is not just the vulnerability of the Gulf's energy supplies but the need for a comprehensive energy plan that relies on more varied sources of energy," it says.

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4609017 - 09/01/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

provide public transportation out of the city

debate over

OfflineVex
Stranger
Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: bukkake]
    #4609023 - 09/01/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

that was a really bad speech. bush speaking in front of the world embarrasses me. Remember when he started stuttering and flailing his arms aroud?

Edited by Vex (09/01/05 05:42 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4609031 - 09/01/05 05:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Bush may be inept and ignorant, but I bet he knows
how to spell *sentence*.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: afoaf]
    #4609065 - 09/01/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

trehe are knids of wrods you can msisslepl and slitl get yur'oe piont acsocs.

Edited by Anisotropic (09/01/05 06:12 PM)

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4609081 - 09/01/05 05:47 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lack of Bush Eloquence Imperils Hurricane Victims
by Scott Ott

(2005-09-01) -- Fears increased today among hundreds of thousands of refugees from the hurricane-ravaged gulf coast as they faced a Labor Day weekend with little hope of an eloquent speech from President George Bush.

As today's New York Times editorial indicated, the president "gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday, especially given the level of national distress and the need for words of consolation and wisdom".

Instead, the president devoted his first major post-Katrina address to laying out what the federal government is actually doing to help with disaster recovery.

One New Orleans man, currently living in the 'Plaza End Zone' section of the Superdome as he awaits news of his missing family members, said, "I can survive for some time with little water, no food and highly unsanitary conditions...but if I don't hear some poetic words of comfort and stirring verbal imagery from the president pretty soon, I'm a goner."

A White House spokesman said additional speech writers have been flown in to accelerate completion of "a magnificent, almost-Clintonesque display of rhetorical compassion." However, it could take up to a week of pronunciation rehearsal before the president is ready to deliver the speech to the nation.

Vex - Giving them a few days warning wasn't enough? WEll, I suppose in the liberal mindset of "the gummit must do it all for me! I'm too feeble and ignorant to HEAD FUCKING NORTH", I can see that. OF course, the National Guard is evacuating people and thousands have been moved to the OtherDome (I don't care about sports, not the big covered one where they are now, the other one in some other place). but why bother with things like that!

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

David Lane

Invisiblebukkake
LEFT WING NUT
Male

Loc: Classified
    #4609099 - 09/01/05 05:51 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Oh. They were given a few days notice. Well, in that case, I guess it's alright if they are murdered, have no food, are swept away, etc.

Edit - Also. Not to double post. But what would you say about the sick and/or the elderly? People in wheelchairs?

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Finish this sentence. . . [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4609126 - 09/01/05 05:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

What Bush should have done in order to better prepare for this disaster is . . .

Commit suicide to appease the gods

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4609134 - 09/01/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I would have helped coordinate their exodus, for people that truely were unable. How the fuck can you have no food for THREE DAYS? I have more food than that in my car! I probably have more than three days of nothing but Ramen at my house! I could live off of the cereal at my house for THREE DAYS!

If someone has a weeks notice that they need to stock up, and they don't, well man, thinnin' out the herd.

Finally, for those that don't know it, taking care of the indivudual [brace yourselves here] isn't [seriously, are you sitting down?] *drum roll* ISNT THE JOB OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. The LOCAL authorities should have done something about this, but the FEDERAL government? GEORGE BUSH? Should Marine one have gone down there and flown these people out? Jesus fucking Christ, what ISNT Bush's fault.

--------------------

David Lane

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Finish this sentence. . . [Re: vampirism]
    #4609146 - 09/01/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Morrowind said:

Commit suicide to appease the gods

Haha, now that I'd have agreed with! Of course, I don't know what Cheney would do better than Bush. Maybe he'd get the relief workers outfitted so that they could go to work on the oil derricks in the Gulf.

--------------------

David Lane

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #4609160 - 09/01/05 06:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

For one, the news is showing that the U.S. has been declining offers of aid from other countries. Rice is a Liar.

For two, the head of FEMA says they are still positioning themselves. He should be FIRED! I just spent 30 minutes listening to this clown.  :thumbdown: His brain moves so slow, I nearly fell into a coma listening to him talk. This is not a take charge man of action OR foresight. He doesn't belong in that position. Trickle down problems started from his lead, not Bush's.

The head of FEMA a liar too. He said at the press conference, "Tell the people there is no rioting or civil unrest going on." When the underwire was running reports of just that.

Maybe it's not him. FEMA lied like hell in statistics related to a disaster I was in 10 years ago. Who is telling FEMA to lie to the public. Maybe it does go back to the white house.

I'm not complaining in the traditional sense. I know my country is run by clowns and my husband and I live as if we are on our own at any moment. The U.S. is still my home of choice for now.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Edited by gettinjiggywithit (09/01/05 06:09 PM)

OfflineVex
Stranger
    #4609190 - 09/01/05 06:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

the thing that makes this hurricane different is that it's effecting an urban area, and everyone knows that theres alot of poor people in urban areas (poor people without transportation). On top of that alot of people that live in cities don't bother buying cars because it's expensive and unnecessary to own one. So you have alot of people that don't have any way to escape the city short of walking. Now, if Bush had come come on the air with and stressed that everyone needed to leave and told everyone how important it was because of the danger they faced, then that would have had a huge impact in getting people to walk out of town for two days. Otherwise when has a massive on-foot exodus from a hurricane ever occurred? Never! Most people probably didn't know how bad it was going to be, some people might not have owned tv's (i don't have cable and didn't even know there was a hurricane until about thirty hours before it hit) And then you have to think about all the families with small children and elderly people that would make it extremely difficult to walk twenty miles a day.

Whoever was in charge should have moved people out by bus...at least given them some sort of option to leave, other than walking to god knows where. But instead they told everyone who couldn't leave to go to the superdome, where people are currently dying of dehydration. It seems that the average person just didn't realize how bad things were going to be. Bush is doing a good enough job for his part in the aftermath. I think someone (not necessarily bush) dropped the ball in preparing for the storm though.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4609191 - 09/01/05 06:10 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Katrina military response
By R. Neal

The U.S. military and National Guard units around the South are mobilizing in response to Katrina. Here are some reports:

(Click on the "there's more" link below for the rest of the article...)

Army News Service:

# More than 5,000 National Guard troops have been activated in four states to assist with recovery operations as 140-mph winds of Hurricane Katrina strike the Gulf Coast.

# The Army Corps of Engineers is anticipating potential requirements to pump water out of New Orleans, much of which is below sea level and protected by a system of dikes, levees and pumps.

# First U.S. Army activated its 24-hour Crisis Action Team Aug. 28 and sent defense coordinating elements to three states. These elements help U.S. Northern Command coordinate DoD support to civil authorities as requested by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

# About 780 National Guard troops were called to state active duty in Florida to help distribute ice and water and to man Logistic Support Sites in Miami and Homestead, Fla. At least six Florida residents were reportedly killed in the storm and about half a million were without electric power.

# Mississippi activated 853 National Guard troops and has staged them at Camp Shelby, Miss., for the recovery operation. The Soldiers are ready to perform debris removal, security and logistical support, officials said.

# Alabama has activated about 160 National Guard troops who are helping sandbag critical coastal areas and have prepositioned generators and trucks for the hurricane recovery operation. The Alabama National Guard activated its Emergency Operations Center in Mobile with support from the 711th Signal Battalion and the 226th Area Support Group, state officials said. They said Army and Air National Guard troops are also monitoring the hurricane and emergency response operations from the Guard?s Joint Operations Center in Montgomery.

# "Right now [ed. note: yesterday], First Army is leaning forward and planning for any number of needs the states may have once this hurricane hits," said Lt. Gen. Russel L. Honor?, commanding general, First U.S. Army. "I have been in contact with each of the state?s adjutant generals and assured them that First Army is ready to help."

"One of the things we learned last year with the series of hurricanes that passed through Florida, was the need for satellite communications," said Col. James Hickey, chief of staff, First U.S. Army. "This storm will likely take out some key communications nodes and cell phones and land lines may not work for some time."

Based on that assessment, First Army is identifying satellite phones and other military communications assets that do not rely on local infrastructure. Food, water and ice are also key resources and the military is planning to help with quick distribution of those supplies in the aftermath of the storm.

Other possible requirements include helicopter support for evacuation, emergency supplies and damage assessments; medical personnel, supplies and equipment to include sanitation expertise; transportation units with the capability to ford high water; watercraft assets for coastal areas; and construction, bridging and utility engineer units.

U.S. Navy:

# The amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) and other U.S. Navy assets are making preparations to provide assistance in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, if needed. Bataan is currently underway in the Gulf of Mexico and standing by to provide assistance as needed in hurricane-affected areas.

Based in Norfolk, Bataan is underway for previously scheduled operations, and will remain in the vicinity of impacted areas until otherwise directed. If called upon, Bataan brings unique humanitarian capabilities to the scene. [ed. note: the Bataan has a 600 bed hospital on board.]

# Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron Fifteen (HM-15) embarked three MH-53E helicopters in preparation for possible relief efforts along the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The MH-53E Sea Dragon is capable of carrying 55 passengers and 16 tons of cargo 50 nautical miles.

U.S. Coast Guard:

# More than 40 Coast Guard aircraft from units along the entire eastern seaboard, along with more than 30 small boats, patrol boats and cutters, are positioning themselves in staging areas around the projected impact area - from Jacksonville, Fla., to Houston - making preparations to conduct immediate post-hurricane search, rescue and humanitarian aid operations, waterway impact assessments and waterway reconstitution operations.

[ed. note: the U.S. Coast Guard has set up a news and information website with rescue reports and photos.]

From the Shreveport Times:

As Hurricane Katrina surged past New Orleans, Louisiana mobilized its soldiers to help, as did Mississippi, Alabama and other southern states. Despite prominent roles in the War on Terror, the states report more than the 50 percent strength mandated for homeland missions. Louisiana has 65 percent of its troops available for state missions; Mississippi, 60 percent; Alabama, 77 percent; and Florida, 74 percent, Guard officials said.

[..]

The Louisiana National Guard had called almost 3,500 of its members to state active duty as of 7 a.m. Monday to help with missions that ranged from aiding law enforcement agencies with traffic control and security to conducting searches and rescues and providing generator support. Guard members conducted security and screening at the emergency shelter at the New Orleans Superdome, and elsewhere helped state police with evacuations.

Some have expressed concern that the National Guard might be spread too thin because of deployments to Iraq. According to the report from the Shreveport Times above, officials say they have sufficient personnel to aid in the recovery efforts. At any rate, these folks have a tough job ahead of them for the next days and weeks, and Gulf Coast residents will be grateful for their assistance.

Sorry that facts trump your whack-o conspiracy theories.

--------------------

David Lane

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #4609217 - 09/01/05 06:16 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Somehow I detect a lack of real contrition in your apology. You are so mean.

--------------------

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: zappaisgod]
    #4609221 - 09/01/05 06:18 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Guilty as charged.

--------------------

David Lane

Edited by MagicalMystery (09/01/05 06:18 PM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Finish this sentance. . . [Re: Vex]
    #4609237 - 09/01/05 06:23 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I knew how bad it was going to be. Go look at my first reply in the "The eye of god is descending on me" post in the pub put up last Fri by cortez.

They were bussing transporationless people to the superdome. It wasn't enough. the place was full. There simple were not enough adequate shelters to take care of the under sea level population that had no means to get out.

Why wasn't this foresighted and plotted out long before this happened.

Did you here the mayor of NO speak yet?

Umbud da ba duh maba duh

None of that is Bush's fault. The city management of NO blew it.

magic Myst,

Did you see the numbers in that article you put up. oooooooooh 3 helicopters to take care of 4 million people effected by Katrina. The freaking storm width almost covered the size of the whole Gulf of Mexico. It was coming in at a Cat 5 with 40-60 ft storm surge on Saturday.

I would not want FEMA packing my vacation bags for me.

Hmmmmm 9 days. I'll throw a pair of underware in a bag. That should do it.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4609252 - 09/01/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I knew how bad it was going to be. Go look at my first reply in the "The eye of god is descending on me" post in the pub put up last Fri by cortez.

So the effects of the storm weren't covered up? Noone was telling you that it would be fine? The government was warning you as to how bad it would be and giving you advanced notice. Now I smell this cover up too!
Quote:

They were bussing transporationless people to the superdome. It wasn't enough. the place was full. There simple were not enough adequate shelters to take care of the under sea level population that had no means to get out.

You don't need a shelter to not drown. I'd rather stand in a fucking field thats 15 feet above sealevel than drown in a Marriot hotel.
Quote:

Why wasn't this foresighted and plotted out long before this happened.

So you are saying that you were warned of the storm in time enough to make preparations (Such as posting to us how bad it would be), and it's THEIR foresight that's lacking? Geez man, if you want the government to mollycoddle you, move to Canada.
Quote:

Did you here the mayor of NO speak yet?

Umbud da ba duh maba duh

Um, yes. I saw him making mandatory evacuation notices and begging for relief. What am I supposed to see in this comment?
Quote:

None of that is Bush's fault. The city management of NO blew it.

If they tell you to leave, and you don't. Guess freakin what, tough shit. It's not their job to rush to build you three or four new houses around the country with beautiful views so that they can pay to fly you out in a Gulfstream until the icky-wicky storm went bye-bye. Why are you blabbering on here? Are you with power? food? go help people!
Quote:

Did you see the numbers in that article you put up. oooooooooh 3 helicopters to take care of 4 million people effected by Katrina. The freaking storm width almost covered the size of the whole Gulf of Mexico. It was coming in at a Cat 5 with 40-60 ft storm surge on Saturday.

If all you saw was "three helicopters", it's time to go back to school.

How much notice did you have and what did you do to prepare for it?
I would not want FEMA packing my vacation bags for me.

Hmmmmm 9 days. I'll throw a pair of underware in a bag. That should do it.

--------------------

David Lane

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#4609272 - 09/01/05 06:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

WOW! You misread me. Bush did tell people to get out and so did the mayors and Governors. There was a mandatory evacuation for petes sake.

Did FEMA think everyone would head the warning? The cops were out and knew darn well how many people didn't leave. They were not prepared. Was giving warning enough? Turn on the news and look at what is happening in NO right now. Giving warning is not enough.

My point with the 3 copters was that all the numbers for surplus in that article were ridiculously LOW for a storm of that size and strength.

If you think they were adequate, I wouldn't want you packing my vacation bags either.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4609282 - 09/01/05 06:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
WOW! You misread me. Bush did tell people to get out and so did the mayors and Governors. There was a mandatory evacuation for petes sake.

So, for future dialouge, you'll concede that everyone who wasn't in a coma was aware that something big was going to happen, right?
Quote:

Did FEMA think everyone would head the warning? The cops were out and knew darn well how many people didn't leave. They were not prepared. Was giving warning enough? Turn on the news and look at what is happening in NO right now. Giving warning is not enough.

I sure hope that you aren't thinking that FORCING people do to things is the way to go?  Also, the cops weren't "out", they were hunkered down.  I'm starting to doubt if you are near there, noone is "out" in 155 mph winds.  What do you think that they SHOULD have done?
Quote:

My point with the 3 copters was that all the numbers for surplus in that article were ridiculously LOW for a storm of that size and strength.

Not low enough for you to move off of your chair and go help though, I see :wink:  Again, everyone down there thinks that it's not a matter of having MORE PEOPLE, it's a matter of better use of resources
Quote:

If you think they were adequate, I wouldn't want you packing my vacation bags either.

If I think what was adaquate? Having 25K more troops come in? It's easy to see, after the fact, what might have been done differently.  Geez, you are a lost cause.

--------------------

David Lane

Edited by MagicalMystery (09/01/05 06:40 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion