Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress
    #4599670 - 08/30/05 04:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've recently started reading the .pdf file of  Unintended Consequences by John Ross.    The book discusses the "gun culture" in America, with delves into Nazi Germany/Poland (The Warsaw Ghetto uprisings).  I'm only on page 130 of 749, but it's enthralling.  I own guns, but being from the country, it's just a part of life.  This book really gets into the details of what happens to unarmed citizenry, including some Jim Crow type laws that I wasn't aware of.  It talks about how some gun laws were started in the South, just after the War, and were mainly enforced to keep blacks from running around with guns in their pockets and fending off the lynch mobs.  It talks about the Jews in Europe being disarmed and massacred.  It talks about the destruction of our Constitutional rights and the war on independance started by our Federal government.  If you are a supporter of gun-owner rights, or just the rights of the individual, you'll enjoy following this story and seeing how the antagonist responds to an ever-increasing lack of freedoms.  If you don't support gun-ownership and gun-rights, this just may change your point of view.

I have the .pdf of this book, it's a huge book but the .pdf is only 3.78megs.  I'll gladly let someone leech this from me, or tell them where to find it, if they want it.  I can't say enough positive about this book.

Also, I have tons of books in .pdf format, but I'm going to buy this one just to support the author.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: MagicalMystery]
    #4601673 - 08/30/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The only reason to disarm a populace is to gain control in an attempt to oppress.

Will have to give this a read.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: daimyo]
    #4601817 - 08/30/05 11:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, it's impressive. I'm now at page 394. It's just amazing. The abuses by the federal government are really discussed in detail. The "MOVE" organization being bombed, Ruby Ridge. A lot of examples as to why the populace needs to be armed and what happens when the government acts to disarm a population. Details of the methods used. After a sensational crime, the government parades it as a reason to ban certain 'types' of firearms. Little bit by little bit, they erode our natural rights to possess firearms (Or put substances in our body, or fuck who we want to, or etc. etc.)

It's a great novel.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

David Lane

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4602292 - 08/31/05 02:19 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm now reading about the speed limits in the United States. Specifically the 55mph (now 65mph, and it's changed since the publication of ths book) that was a FEDERAL law. People think, and are told, that the speed limits are what they are so that we'll be safe. The interstate system, for example, was designed in the 1950's for cars manufactured back then and the speed limit was 75mph. Now cars have rack and pinion steering, anti lock brakes, cell phones for reporting emergencies, air bags, second generation seat belts, and they LOWERED the speed limits? I don't get it.

In 1973 the federal government decided that to save gasoline during the energy crisis, a state would have to accept the 55mph federal speed limit on Interstates and state roads or they wouldn't be given access to Federal Highway funds. They cut off the taxpayers dollar for being used to the benefit of that taxpayer if the state government didn't concede to their demands! Insanity!

--------------------

David Lane

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4602314 - 08/31/05 02:33 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I'm also noting how the protagonist is really almost nutty about guns. It's fiction, but I do believe that their are some people in America who shoot "...upwards of two million rounds per year...".

--------------------

David Lane

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #4602498 - 08/31/05 03:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like a great book. "Them" by Ron Jonson is a good one which also delves into ruby ridge and waco.

I really like how they limited clip sizes for civilians. Because smaller clips save children  :smirk:

2 million rounds a year is over 5000 a day.  :whoah:

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: FrankieJustTrypt]
    #4602524 - 08/31/05 04:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

One of the heros in this story has a few fully automatic Maxim machine gunes.  I could put 5,000 rounds through that a day probably :wink:

--------------------

David Lane

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #4602559 - 08/31/05 04:28 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see how anyone has a "natural" right to own or use guns, but that is not the point I'm trying to make here.

I guess in your view, the government has an evident interest in banning gun ownership in the long run: domination of the masses, and I fully understand that point.
What I don't get, is what interest, in your view, the government has in lowering speed limits. How do they benefit? Safer driving, less gas consumption, who could be against that? And while I understand cars are much safer these days, you have to admit a driver's license doesn't grant you the amount of experience and skill to safely drive a car at (really) high speeds. I do conceed, however, that 55 mph is ridiculously low on highways.

But my question is: do you suspect the government benefits from this kind of limitation, or do they just seek a sadistic pleasure in limiting citizens' freedoms?

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Aldous]
    #4603923 - 08/31/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Has it mentioned this quote from Hitler?

"This year* will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Aldous]
    #4604056 - 08/31/05 02:28 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think it shows the basic problem that we are dealing with. The government doesn't think it's citizenry is intelligent or capable enough to think for themselves. We have better cars on better roads, but we aren't bright enough to use them so the federal government has to step in an limit our actions, in direct defiance of the state government. We have more knowledge and easier access to this knowledge about drugs than we ever have before, but the government doesn't want to even have a debate or discourse about drugs, the citizenry might hurt themselves! The federal government sees itself as a cautious parent overlooking a hyperactive child that isn't able to make it's own decisions.

I know that my import sports car with a bit of work done to it handles very nicely. I know that my friends 2004 Jeep Liberty has all sorts of safety features, traction control, roll-over control, automatic four wheel drive, etc. Why can't I decide what is safe for me to drive? It's not as if everyone would be going 200mph down the interstate, killing reclessly. Thats the whole point I'm going after here. The government doesn't think that we are smart enough to be able to decide how fast to go, so they make arbitrary limitations on our freedoms based on what? Sensational news stories that they create?

Alex - No, that quote was not mentioned. The German gun laws (and Chinese/Russian gun laws that preceded their genocides) are discussed. I don't even think that is a real quote, is it? I thought it was some NRA made up thing to push their platform.

--------------------

David Lane

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Alex213]
    #4604252 - 08/31/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
Has it mentioned this quote from Hitler?

"This year* will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

Godwin Law in action.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: looner2]
    #4606819 - 09/01/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The point is a little deeper than that looner. Stay tuned.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4607300 - 09/01/05 08:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

So what's your point? Is bringing up an unsubstantiated quote an argument for gun confiscation?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #4607658 - 09/01/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

All will be revealed if we find out that quote is used in the book or not.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4607674 - 09/01/05 10:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You do know that just b/c Hitler was an evil man who did evil things, that doesn't make everything he said or did evil or even wrong.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Redstorm]
    #4607680 - 09/01/05 10:41 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
You do know that just b/c Hitler was an evil man who did evil things, that doesn't make everything he said or did evil or even wrong.

The point he was making was that that quote was falsely attributed to Hitler by people with an anti-gun control agenda.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Silversoul]
    #4607683 - 09/01/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, ok. I totally misunderstood. Sorry, Alex.

/blushes

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Unintended Consequences - Book Review In Progress [Re: Redstorm]
    #4607696 - 09/01/05 10:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

No problem Red  :wink:

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #4607979 - 09/01/05 11:55 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex213 said:
All will be revealed if we find out that quote is used in the book or not.

Have you read the book? It is a work of fiction, the characters are fictional. The author weaves a story containing many truthful elements based upon past laws, trends and history and current trends and proposed laws. So is it your contention that a fictional story with a message doesn't raise valid points based on the possibility that it may contain an unsubstantiated quote?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

#4608637 - 09/01/05 02:05 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The phrase wasn't used. Good thing you didn't bother to read it before you had an opinion!!! Blatant ignorance and prejudice saves time that would be wasted on research for spouting off on an anonymous forum!

--------------------

David Lane

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom