Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Fashion.
    #4603784 - 08/31/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How you dress, and groom yourself has an enormous effect on how people think of you. Style is a form of communication, and there are a LOT of different messages that can be sent simply by altering your appearance.

Some people claim that concerning oneself with fashion is shallow, or that it indicates that someone is foolish, and that judging anyone based on their dress is cruel. However, to think that the judgments we make based on style are something that can easily be controlled, or are limited to foolish or nasty people is false.

Understanding the messages that styles send is actually very complicated, and to do it, you need to understand what attracts people to different appearances.

There are elements of design that are, to a degree, universal. However, we often develop a liking for appearances of people that we respect, and feel a desire to emulate that appearance. When someone likes a certain musician, for instance, they are more likely to think that that musician's style looks good, and then try to copy it. Of course, people don't only try to emulate individuals, often they find an entire culture or subculture to emulate.

Subcultures are an aesthetic more than anything else. Goth, punk, and aspects of hip hop are composed of certain styles of clothing, certain language, the use of certain colors and art, etc... There are no definite or consistent philosophies in subcultures. Often musical acts are considered "goth" or "punk" based more on how they dress, and their lyrics, than the actual sound of the music. There is some punk music, for instance, that would easily be classified as metal if the artists dressed differently.

Subcultures, while without clearly defined philosophies, do often adhere to certain attitudes and outlooks. While its unfair to assume that someone wearing a baggy velour tracksuit, a do-rag, and gaudy gold chains is a criminal, it's not entirely unreasonable to think that they have a romanticized view of the gangster lifestyle, and have a certain respect for gangsters.

While that's an obvious example, often much more subtle style choices can have a huge impact. Wearing a more stylish cut of jeans, for example, can drastically change your appearance.

Someone who dresses in a manner that is both inventive, and aware of current trends is demonstrating their ability to observe and be creative. While walking into the GAP and buying an outfit there won't look too bad, being able to put together an equally up to date, yet original outfit from thrift store clothing requires a lot of intelligence and creativity. I think this is, to a degree, why style can be so sexually appealing. It can say quite a bit about a person. It can show that you're smart, inventive, and culturally aware.

I wouldn't consider myself particularly stylish, and I don't put a whole lot of money or effort into my appearance. I do, however, find girls with a cool fashion sense to be incredibly hot, and I find observing what others choose to wear to be pretty entertaining. I buy most of my clothes at vintage or thrift stores, and I have a certain image in mind when I pick things out. Up until a few years ago, I really didn't put any effort in at all. Once I got to the end of my teenage years, got a bit of self esteem, and realized that there were actually girls out there who were attracted to me, I didn't feel embarrassed by the idea of actually choosing out clothes I thought might look cool. I've found that there is a significant difference in the way people treat you when you're dressed differently. If you're dressed in a "hip" way, people tend to assume you're better than they are. I'm sure it's entirely subconscious, but people really do treat you with far more respect if you look like you're cool and have good taste. People rarely realize they're doing it, and generally they'll deny it if it's brought up, but that doesn't mean that they aren't doing it. Conversely, if you look disheveled, have dirt on your clothes, you hair is all messed up, they'll treat you with far less respect.

We all like to think that we're above this kind of judgmental behavior, but I think that the people who deny that they do it are the most guilty of it. Anyone who wants to avoid behaving this way needs to recognize their impulses. If you simply pretend they don't exist, you're not going to avoid them, and when your mistakes are pointed out, you'll dismiss all accusations instead of considering them and trying to improve your behavior.

On the other hand, fashion can be really cool, and girls wearing awesome clothes are a pleasure to look at. Our judge mental impulses are human nature, and trying desperately to try to change them isn't necessarily healthy. It's these judgments that give people the incentive to dress in interesting ways, without them we'd likely all dress like boring slobs.

One more thing: trashiness. Essentially, people who put in a great effort to dress in a cool way and desperately fail. This includes meticulously coiffed mullets, 52 earrings in one ear, and t-shirts that say things like "Gold digger", or "You can't afford me." in glittery letters... usually worn by girls who look somewhat haggard and fairly poor. Pierced finger nails, large gold chains, over gelled hair (on guys especially), etc... Pretty much any clothing sold at Walmart. This probably seems classist, and in a sense, it is, but there is a rich trashiness too, its just more subtle because rich people with poor fashion sense can afford to purchase clothing that other people have already figured out for them. For instance; backwards fitted baseball caps, pukka shells... frat boy type clothing.

I'm sure I'll get a few responses to this by people calling me shallow and judgmental, but they'll be missing the point. I don't think that people who dress in an uninteresting, or trashy manner are necessarily bad people, even though fashion does send certain messages. The problem with bad style is not really that it tells you about how bad a person is, it's that it sends a message that the person does not want to be sending. As I said before, it's a form of communication, and you are always sending a certain message out. Knowing what that message is, and how to manipulate it can be an important and useful skill.

If you dress a certain way, and its causing people to make assumptions about you that you don't like, what's an appropriate reaction?

Do you decide that those people are judgmental pricks and ignore their opinion? This does make sense, people are judging you unfairly, and you have a right to dress however you want. But this reaction is only appropriate if you honestly don't care what other people think. If you're highly intelligent, and a devoted worker, yet you show up for an interview in dirty sweatpants and a t-shirt, it sends a different message. The reality is that people are going to judge you based on how you dress, it's human nature. You can use that knowledge to create an image for yourself that you find fitting, but you can't change the way everyone thinks.

Just because it's not entirely fair doesn't mean you can pretend it doesn't exist without consequences. No matter how you feel about it, people are still going to try to interpret you based on your appearance.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Fashion. [Re: Phluck]
    #4603872 - 08/31/05 01:34 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"The problem with bad style is not really that it tells you about how bad a person is, it's that it sends a message that the person does not want to be sending." that is a very true!

I work in an office and wear slacks dress shirts belt... the works. I can't afford to buy to many other types of clothing... so I don't represent myself accurately outside the work place. I have hippie tendencies but you'd have to know me to know that, a glance at me is misleading.
Like a superhero... which is the alias. a question i ask myself often. I'm superman at work!

oh yeah +5 to you dude... you're more than just intelligent... you're informed as well.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Fashion. [Re: Cowgold]
    #4603932 - 08/31/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks man!

It's always funny to see people wearing clothes that completely misrepresent their personalities, especially when they're unaware of their errors.

I remember this one old asian guy from around my neighborhood who had these shiney jean phat pants. Ravery type things. The guy was probably about 70, kinda pudgy, and wore the pants hiked up under his armpits. It looked completely ridiculous.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#4603937 - 08/31/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

both wife and daughter have
judys,

juki's
and know how to cut markers &
next week we go to paris to see what's left after the fashinistas leave

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: Fashion. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #4605940 - 08/31/05 09:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Phluck, yer one sharp cookie.
I'd sit next to you in class during midterms, anyday.

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: Fashion. [Re: Great Scott]
    #4607017 - 09/01/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Great post Phluck.

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
    #4607024 - 09/01/05 02:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Thanks man!

It's always funny to see people wearing clothes that completely misrepresent their personalities, especially when they're unaware of their errors.

I remember this one old asian guy from around my neighborhood who had these shiney jean phat pants. Ravery type things. The guy was probably about 70, kinda pudgy, and wore the pants hiked up under his armpits. It looked completely ridiculous.

Is that really misrepresentation? I think it's a perfect fit for a guy who just doesnt give a fuck what people think of his getup.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4607552 - 09/01/05 10:05 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

As I pointed out recently in this thread, fashion has become an important part of self-expression for me. I used to not care how I dressed, but then, that was also a time when I didn't have a strong sense of who I was. Now I do, and have created my own personal style. When I dress in this manner, I feel more like myself, which gives me a sense of confidence, which I project out to the world.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #4607669 - 09/01/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hehe, I am sorry, but I totally sh*t on fashion. I am not allowed at work, but outside work, it just has to be somwhat to wear, which is somewhat clean :smile:
Here in Germany, last year was the year of women 'ass-tatoos'. I nearly haven't seen one without one. This year, they are out and the women start to run to get their tatoos off.
Haha, I hit my head, as I see fashion only, to determine someones mental illness.
Sexy fashion is something different and should be played more in private :wink:
Fashion, cosmetics, extreme tidyness, all thiese external show- and illusion-stuff is for women... :laugh:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlineriverjorge420
barkeep

Loc: Northeast Iowa
Re: Fashion. [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #4608192 - 09/01/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I just started wearing nicer clothes than I have ever had before, and working as a bartender. I bought the clothes for work, but it does seem nice to be able to go to the workplace looking sharp. I have only worked there for a few weeks and I just ordered a silver and chrome watch (jerguson or something) from my friend Linda at the jeweler. My appearance at work, including how nice my shoes and watch and or rings on my fingers will effect how people treat me and how they tip me! I wouldn't lie about something like this but I wouldnt put it past people to wear a wedding ring when they were not married at all, only hoping to influence others is someway or another.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4608604 - 09/01/05 02:00 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

..And then there's folks like me. Jeans and a t-shirt (no slogan) are good enough for me. If someone doesn't like that, well that's just too damn bad....

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4611859 - 09/02/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fashion, cosmetics, extreme tidyness, all thiese external show- and illusion-stuff is for women...

That's BS. If you don't think that your appearance has a huge impact on how you're perceived, and the appearances of others have a huge impact on you, you're living in a fantasy world.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Fashion. [Re: Fospher]
    #4611913 - 09/02/05 10:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Is that really misrepresentation? I think it's a perfect fit for a guy who just doesnt give a fuck what people think of his getup.

How do you know he doesn't give a fuck? His shirt was tucked in, his hair was combed... are these not the actions of someone who cares about their appearance?

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4611963 - 09/02/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Fashion, cosmetics, extreme tidyness, all thiese external show- and illusion-stuff is for women...

That's BS. If you don't think that your appearance has a huge impact on how you're perceived, and the appearances of others have a huge impact on you, you're living in a fantasy world.

Ha, thanks, but the opposite is true, so BS back to you.
Those who accept a outfit for a character, the package for the content.. those live in a true fantasy-world. You will believe also the commercials, will you ?
That's for sure. I appear, as nature has made me.

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#4611993 - 09/02/05 11:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just because you want things to be a certain way does not make them so.

We all judge people by their appearance. From their smell, to their hygiene, to their facial expressions.

You said yourself that you don't like people who spend a lot of time on their appearance... when you see people who have obviously spent a lot of money on clothing, do you not make certain assumptions about them? How is that not judging them?

It seems to me that a lot of the people who claim to be opposed to judging people based on their appearance really are just as judgemental as the people they dislike. They just flip it around and sneer at people who dress well.

Did you even actually read my post?

Because it wasn't about liking or disliking people based on how they dress.

How could anyone not agree that clothing sends certain messages?

If you saw someone dressed as an african tribesman walking down the street in your city, would it not draw your interest at all?

If, as you claim, you don't make any judgements at all based on fashion, they would go completely unnoticed. Obviously they look exactly the same to you as all the other people because you only judge people on the content of their characters.

But I think it would get your attention. You might ask yourself "why is an african tribesman walking around here? why didn't he get some other clothes? Isn't he cold?"

All those questions require you to make certain assumptions and judgements.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4612261 - 09/02/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I noticed that hair length on males has a direct correlation with their masculinity, and it seems females realize this too.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#4612398 - 09/02/05 12:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I appear, as nature has made me.

you hop in your car and drive to the store butt-ass naked?

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#4615346 - 09/03/05 02:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

phluck, yes, good points and I did have read your original post. I just wanted to say, that for me it is a waste of time, riddling over that, what the packages mean. I want to look inside ! I know the human tendencies to judge upon fashion and all those external qualities. I think it is a waste of time, because the aspects you can learn from that is only partial truth (if at all), it all could be even a lie. If I see something uncommon fashioned on the streets, i even would smile or shake my head..thinking only shortly about my impulses, caused that. If expensive fashion is used, it makes me sad for the money, which is spent on an external use, which has no 'real' meaning. If I see youth fashioned in some way, I often smile because of the seen insecurity they express by tending toward a strict way to express their momentary attitudes.
I see, it smoothens communication and handeling something up, in society, because you can get your picture from another person faster, but it is allways better, to not relay on this and to ask and look deeper, behind the curtain.

smack,  hehe, I would love to, but I not try to get such much attention by expressing something, hehe, even if it is pure naturality :wink: Society is mad on itself and someone could start to throw stones or something :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: Fashion. [Re: looner2]
    #4615410 - 09/03/05 03:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:
I noticed that hair length on males has a direct correlation with their masculinity, and it seems females realize this too.

Are you implying that the longer the hair the more feminine one is?

InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: Fashion. [Re: TacticalBongRip]
    #4615421 - 09/03/05 03:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting post Phluck. I have been known to think spending money on expensive clothes and/or just new fashions is just a waste ...last night I was telling my girl that I thought it was kinda dumb that she wanted a stylish bag to carry her school books in.

I've been married for a couple years now and I noticed that the longer your with someone, the less you care about your appearance. Not only do I almost never buy new clothes ( i wait till mine are falling apart and / or extremely faded) a friend of mine was telling me that if he were to break up with his girl he would probably start going back to the gym and get rid of his new beer belly.

it seems the more comfortable you get the more you could give a fuck about what other people think of your appearance

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates