Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Browser wars will never end
    #4604156 - 08/31/05 05:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

NOTE: This is web designer's rant. If you know nothing about HTML, CSS, web graphics, and the web design process... you surely do not care.

:rant:
I know that now that we have the almighty organization of the W3C ( www.w3.org ) organizing things, and their chief god, CSS, we supposedly no longer have to worry about the browser wars and cross-compatibility. LIES!

I've spent hours today, first trying to make my CSS Zen Garden ( www.csszengarden.com ) skin box-model independent by not using any DIV padding, instead using header, paragraph, and list margins for the same purpose. It was a long process, but I've done it to my satisfaction, for now.

Then I needed to use a lame CSS hack to make my PNG files' alpha transparency work in good ole IE. After reading through many misleading tutorials and what-not, I finally got it to work for the most part... but now in Firefox, Opera, etc. I have no backgrounds, since they don't understand the proprietary filter, and I have to set "background:none" so that IE doesn't place the unfiltered PNG over the  correct one.

So, now I've realized that I must use the box-model hack to hide the backgrounds, and reset them to normal values in browsers with proper PNG support. This is a severe pain in my ass, but I get it done. Hooray! A job well done!

Except that two of my background-images still don't show up in any browser, for some unknown reason.

And IE5-Mac users gets nothing because it doesn't understand the proprietary filter, either.

Why am I in this profession, again? ARGH!

[/rant]

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Browser wars will never end [Re: TinTree]
    #4604171 - 08/31/05 05:09 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hey, how did you get pngs with an alpha channel to work in IE? can you please send me your solution to that? i recreated a TON of pngs that had transparency in them to crappy gif versions for IE display, but would love to be able to use the pngs!

(oh, and i feel your pain, trust me!)

--------------------

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: Browser wars will never end [Re: Krishna]
    #4604971 - 08/31/05 08:39 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

PM'd.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Browser wars will never end [Re: TinTree]
    #4605057 - 08/31/05 08:51 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

W3c.org is the motherfucking devil.

Too many times I've seen people wasting away weeks and weeks making their website perfectly W3C compliant. Being this anal degrades the mind, there is absolutely no reason to spend that much time working with HTML when there are so many more important and advanced web languages to learn (like js). After you author a page, check it in IE, NS, and Moz and if it works in all three, it works. End of story.

Fuck W3c.

OfflineManicDelirium
MysteriousMycologist TechDeviant

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flawda
Re: Browser wars will never end [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4605347 - 08/31/05 09:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

shit all I use W3c for is looking up HTML functions that I forgot...That's about all it's good for

--------------------
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" --long live the great Gonzo

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Browser wars will never end [Re: kronnyQ]
    #4607215 - 09/01/05 08:21 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

> After you author a page, check it in IE, NS, and Moz and if it works in all three, it works. End of story

If only it were that easy... Though I do agree with you, trying to keep pages W3C compliant is a good waste of time.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology