Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineUnagipie
Pilgrim -DBK鰻

Loc: The Trenches of France
Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb
    #4602690 - 08/31/05 07:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

At least 650 Iraqi Shi'ite pilgrims were killed today in a stampede when someone shouted "Suicide bomber!". :rolleyes: Quite sad yes, but morbidly ironic at the same time.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/31/iraq.main/index.html

--------------------

Don't fight it. Just let the illuminados take over your mind. You be at bliss soon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Unagipie]
    #4603548 - 08/31/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

This is such a huge deal. CNN has the estimated death count over 800 people. They expect the official count to rise to over 1,000 people. Also, hundreds more were injured.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4603578 - 08/31/05 12:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Cindy Sheehan must be very proud of her "freedom fighters".

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Loc: Final Frontier
    #4603638 - 08/31/05 12:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How do that many people actually die in a stampede?

--------------------
Kira: What do Klingons dream about?

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Worf]
    #4603643 - 08/31/05 12:33 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Most of them fell into the Tigris river and drowned.

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Redstorm]
    #4603646 - 08/31/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The article said that when the bridge broke, only "dozens" fell into the water, not "hundreds".

--------------------

Worf: Things that would send cold chills down your spine, and wake you up in the middle of the night. No, it is better you do not know

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4603647 - 08/31/05 12:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

LOL what does she have to do with this? A woman raises an eagle scout honor student marine, that goes to iraq to fight this war that you guys think was sooo necessary and you act like she should be happy her son is dead. Your actually extending her 15mins of fame by bringing her name up over and over again. Congrats on helping her to become more famous.

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Worf]
    #4603654 - 08/31/05 12:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

outputrotation said:
The article said that when the bridge broke, only "dozens" fell into the water, not "hundreds".

If you read the sentence after that, it says:

Quote:

Police said most people drowned but some people were crushed to death.

The dozens of people must have been the initial amount of people who fell in the river, followed by hundreds more.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4603708 - 08/31/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The amount of force of a group of people close together all pushing to get out of the way is tremendous, it literally can crush people in waves depending on the amount present.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineWorf
Lt. Commander

#4603781 - 08/31/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It looks like most of them didn't fall off the bridge. Many jumped off to avoid being crushed though. A stampede with that many people has to be one of the most terrifying experiences

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Sycronica]
    #4603943 - 08/31/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sycronica said:

"LOL what does she have to do with this? "

from what i understand a rumor of a suicide bomber caused them to panic.

Cindy Sheehan calls suicide bombers "freedom fighters"

Cindy Sheehan must be very proud of her "freedom fighters". they helped kill hundreds of people today.

I hope her fame lasts more than 15 minutes. she will guarantee the Democrats to lose the House, the Senate and the Presidency yet again.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #4603984 - 08/31/05 02:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Cindy Sheehan calls suicide bombers "freedom fighters"

Got a source for this lonestar?

I thought she called people fighting to end the illegal american occupation of Iraq "freedom fighters". Common sense would suggest if you are fighting an illegal foreign occupation force then "freedom fighter" is a term that could be used to describe you. Not saying she's right or wrong - just that her terminology is understandable.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4603997 - 08/31/05 02:10 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

wow you sure think she has a lot of pull to be able to single handedly decide the next elections of the entire US. Maybe I should go on tour with her since she so powerful, wow, she may even rival jesus  :cuckoo:

--------------------

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Alex213]
    #4604004 - 08/31/05 02:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Cindy: Terrorists
'freedom fighters'

Sheehan's comment to CBS, others seems to have evaporated in news coverage

Posted: August 23, 2005
10:30 p.m. Eastern

By Joe Kovacs
? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45938

Cindy Sheehan

Cindy Sheehan, the so-called Peace Mom seeking a second meeting with President Bush in connection with the Iraq War death of her son, says terrorists killing Americans are "freedom fighters."

She made the remark during her trek earlier this month to Crawford, Texas; but her equating the enemy with freedom fighters has not been highlighted by the mainstream media, despite her telling it directly to a reporter for CBS News.

Sheehan's comments were recorded on video by Veterans for Peace, a group pushing for Bush's impeachment. (Editor's note: The video of Cindy Sheehan is approximately 30 minutes long, and requires several minutes to load, even with a high-speed connection.)

Mark Knoller of CBS

"You know that the president says Iraq is the central front in the war on terrorism, don't you believe that?" asked Mark Knoller of CBS, surrounded by a host of other reporters.

"No, because it's not true," Sheehan replied. "You know Iraq was no threat to the United States of America until we invaded. I mean they're not even a threat to the United States of America. Iraq was not involved in 9-11, Iraq was not a terrorist state. But now that we have decimated the country, the borders are open, freedom fighters from other countries are going in, and they [American troops] have created more terrorism by going to an Islamic country, devastating the country and killing innocent people in that country. The terrorism is growing and people who never thought of being car bombers or suicide bombers are now doing it because they want the United States of America out of their country."

A WorldNetDaily search of CBS News, Google News, and Lexis-Nexis archives found not a single news report mentioning Sheehan's "freedom fighters" remark.

"The question of whether or not we should be in Iraq is not relevant in this discussion," Fred Keller of Clearwater, Fla., told WND. "We're there and have troops in the field under fire and these people are aiding and abetting the enemy."

"What's her problem then?" asked one messageboard poster on FreeRepublic.com. "Her son was killed by a 'freedom fighter.' She should be proud."

Anti-war activists make a peace sign during nationwide candlelight vigil Aug. 17, 2005, promoted by MoveOn.org (courtesy Flickr.com)

Sheehan also called for the immediate withdrawal of all American troops, characterizing the ongoing conflict in Iraq as a "travesty."

"It's a monstrosity," she said. "It was based on lies, and since it was based on lies, why are people still dying every day for lies? That's what they're dying for. And as soon as we get them out of the country, the insurgency will go down. They might have a little bit of trouble at first, but you know every Iraqi tells me, 'We're a civilization that has been around for thousands of years. We can handle our own problems.'"

Sheehan referred to her son, Casey, not as a war hero, but rather a war victim.

Casey Sheehan poses with John Wayne replica in this undated photo

"If I was thinking straight, which I wasn't, I never would have allowed a military funeral, and I wouldn't have buried him in his uniform," Sheehan said. "I just basically stayed sitting on my couch, crying and drinking for a week."

Sheehan left Texas last week to care for her 74-year-old mother who had a stroke. She's expected to return soon to Crawford, where anti-war activists/entertainers such as singer Joan Baez and Margot Kidder, best known for her role as Lois Lane in "Superman," have been making headlines.

Kidder, a Canadian who has lived in Montana for 34 years, became a U.S. citizen last week so she could protest the Iraq War without being deported to Canada.

President Bush kissing Cindy Sheehan in family photo dated June 18, 2004

President Bush, meanwhile, is slated to spend two hours tomorrow with families of other slain soldiers.

"Well, I did meet with Cindy Sheehan," Bush said, referring to his meeting with the entire Sheehan family last June at Fort Lewis, Wash. "I strongly support her right to protest. There's a lot of people protesting. And there's a lot of points of view about the Iraq war."

President Bush, along with Idaho Gov. Dick Kempthorne, addressing media today

"She expressed her opinion. I disagree with it," he added, noting Sheehan's pullout philosophy. "I think immediate withdrawal from Iraq would be a mistake. I think those who advocate immediate withdrawal from not only Iraq but the Middle East would be ? are advocating a policy that would weaken the United States. So I appreciate her right to protest. I understand her anguish. I met with a lot of families. She doesn't represent the view of a lot of the families I have met with. And I'll continue to meet with families."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4604011 - 08/31/05 02:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sycronica said:
wow you sure think she has a lot of pull to be able to single handedly decide the next elections of the entire US. Maybe I should go on tour with her since she so powerful, wow, she may even rival jesus  :cuckoo:

how old are you? about 14?

sometimes little things do effect elections. read my lips.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4604024 - 08/31/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Conservative twisting of her words?

You know Iraq was no threat to the United States of America until we invaded. I mean they're not even a threat to the United States of America. Iraq was not involved in 9-11, Iraq was not a terrorist state. But now that we have decimated the country, the borders are open, freedom fighters from other countries are going in, and they [American troops] have created more terrorism by going to an Islamic country, devastating the country and killing innocent people in that country. The terrorism is growing and people who never thought of being car bombers or suicide bombers are now doing it because they want the United States of America out of their country.

Apparently she called the insurgents freedom fighters, because they are fighting the American occupation. She never directly called the suicide bombers "freedom fighters"; she seems to be more talking about the regular insurgents fighting the occupation. I doubt she actually condones bombing innocent people.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineSycronica
Seeker
    #4604026 - 08/31/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so "read my lips" is your example? and who do you suppose said that? hmmm a politian? last time i checked this cindy woman isn't a politician how the hell does that effect the outcome of the election?

I see you have resorted to trying to discredit me by insinuating I am a child. Typical right wing stance; attack the person speaking and avoid the facts of what is being said.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Iraqi stampede: the tongue is mightier than the bomb [Re: Ravus]
    #4604053 - 08/31/05 02:26 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so freedom fighters are not suicide bombers?

freedom fighters are insurgents...

and insurgents don't suicide bomb?

hate to ask but do you have a source?

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#4604070 - 08/31/05 02:32 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

sorry for the insult and example.

how about these....

Michael Moore

Willie Horton

i will have to get with Karl Rove to remember a few more.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4604082 - 08/31/05 02:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Most of the insurgents are not blowing themselves up.

There are probably at least thousands of insurgents, based on the attacks we've seen. I don't know what you're trying to say, but not all, or I'd speculate even most, of these people are suicide bombers.

Many of them are conservative Muslims who despise American intervention with the Middle East, and they would get nothing from killing their innocent kin as most suicide bombers have been. These are the ones who could be called "freedom fighters"; simply the insurgents engaging the occupying military, and therefore fighting for Iraqi freedom from the countries that have taken over Iraq.

Logically, the suicide bombers who bomb crowded Iraqi markets are not fighting for the freedom of the Iraqis; chances are they're trying to start a civil war or such possibilities of that nature, thereby ruining all the work and money the US has put into the situation. I don't see how these people could be called "freedom fighters", as they could care less about Iraqi freedom.

Contrary to what many in the West think, the insurgents are not one unified force all blowing up innocent Iraqis and killing the good American soldiers because they're insane. Some of them are Iraqis trying to get the American military out of Iraq; others are those who also want to take shots at the American military. Not all of them are bombing innocent Muslims, or would want to even harm their Muslim brethren.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order