Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Gov. Pataki signs bill softening drug laws [NY]
    #4602506 - 08/31/05 03:48 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Pataki Signs Bill Softening Drug Laws
August 31, 2005 - NY Times
By Michelle O'Donnell

Gov. George E. Pataki signed a bill into law last night that will soften the so-called Rockefeller drug laws, his office said.

The new law will allow about 540 inmates - those convicted of Class A-2 felonies - the chance to petition for resentencing and early release.

It is the second piece of reform to the drug laws that were passed in 1973 and that established mandatory sentences that in some cases were longer than those for murder convictions. Last December, Governor Pataki signed a bill allowing 446 inmates serving time for A-1 felonies to petition for a reduction in their mandatory sentences.

The bill, one in a batch of about 100 that the governor signed about 7:30 p.m., would have gone into effect at midnight without Mr. Pataki's signature unless he had vetoed it.

The governor, who is weighing a run for president, signed the bill "based on its merits," a spokesman, Kevin Quinn, said.

While reformers hailed the new law last night, they said they would like to see more done to dismantle the drug laws. "We took 2 steps forward on Rockefeller reform last December, and we're taking another step forward today, but we have another good 10 steps to go," said Ethan Nadelmann, the executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, a nonprofit group focused on changing national drug policy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Gov.Pataki signs bill softening drug laws [NY] [Re: veggie]
    #4602931 - 08/31/05 09:14 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah this is a good step but it's only really fixing things retroactively for the inmates, we need to reform those laws on the whole. Pot convictions net you some crazy sentences in this here state.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Gov.Pataki signs bill softening drug laws [NY] [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4603679 - 08/31/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Small steps are better than no steps... as more and more momentum builds for this sort of reform, the faster it will go and the harder it will be to stop. Once repressed people start to taste freedom, seldom do they willingly give that freedom up.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1