Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineaig
Stranger

Raw Food - as a lifestyle
    #4599920 - 08/30/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey have you guys heard of this new thing which is supposed to be extremely healthy for you which is eating everything raw. So basically you are like a vegetarian but you eat EVERYTHING raw. If you guys know anything more about this subject feel free to spread the wealth

--------------------
The things you own end up owning you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: aig]
    #4600274 - 08/30/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

someone posted some RAW recipes in here somewhere...recipes seem pretty good too :thumbup:

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #4602072 - 08/31/05 12:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'd love to give it a try.

But I don't feel like getting Salmonella poisoning.

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #4602199 - 08/31/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

salmonella comes from uncooked poultry.

Quote:

So basically you are like a vegetarian but you eat EVERYTHING raw.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4602338 - 08/31/05 02:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's definately not a new thing. Raw food eating has been around for millions of years :wink:
Basically it's the most healthy way to eat food in it's natural state as much as possible. Cooking a lot of food destroys many nutrients and enzymes. Roasting nuts, for example.. kills all the essential fatty and amino acids. When you boil vegetables much of the vitamins and minerals leech out into the water.. if this water is thrown out those nutrients are wasted. Peeling the skin from potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, etc.. is  bad since most of the vitamins lie just under the skin. For potatoes, the skin also is very alkaline, which balances the starch of the potato itself. Potato with skin = vitamins minerals starch and alkaline.. potato without skin is basically pure starch.

Processed grains often have the hull removed - the most nutritous part of the grain, and the fiber. This is why "whole grains" are better. Processed foods are also alduterated with preservatives, colorings, additives, etc. Raw diet means to avoid all processed, canned, bottled, prepackaged, fried, greasy, foods. Anything changed from its natural state. Sugar is a big one. Instead of sugar go for raw honey (it's really fucking good, and good for you), or malt sugar.

Of course ripe fruits and vegetables are best. For example bananas should only be eaten when they have black spots as that is when the starch (when they are green) has converted to grape sugars. Starch is generally bad on the stomach and undigestible which is why it is good to counter starch with an alkaline - potato w/skin, soy, greens, etc.

It's easy to eat a raw food diet, or as close to raw as possible. Eat plenty of fresh, ripe, raw fruit.. (some people that consume mostly raw fruits are called fruitarians) Lots of sprouts (Sprouts such as alfalfa contain tons of vitamins and minerals and are thought to contain over 1000% the life-giving properties as the full grown plant).. Lots of raw nuts (some people soak nuts in water for 24 hours so they sprout before eating them) seeds, whole grains, sea vegetables, vegetables of all kinds.. all organic unprocessed foods.

As for what to drink.. water, and lots of it.. not tap water.
Freshly made juices - raw food people never buy juice they make their own.. from freshly squeezed fruits and drank immediately.
Coconut milk is good.
Some make SUN tea.. using green tea and herbs and left in a big glass tub and brewed by the power of the sun.

When you must cook vegetables.. the best ways are: pressure cook, steamed, stir-fry, baked, or in a soup (use minimal water and drink the water) Cook for the least amount of time necessary, and use the least amount of water necessary.  Pressure cooker cooks under pressure and thus the veggies retain their vitamins.. this is an excellent way to cook also.. makes potatoes and many vegetables perfect.

Basically.. just eat it raw.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: Shroomism]
    #4603947 - 08/31/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Some make SUN tea.. using green tea and herbs and left in a big glass tub and brewed by the power of the sun.

Really not a good idea. A vat of nutrient rich solution sitting out at 75-90 degrees is a pretty good incubator for all kinds of nastiness.

Tea should be made w/ boiling water.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4604147 - 08/31/05 03:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've made tea like this tons of times in the past - it's good as fuck. Never got sick or anything. It's only sits out there for a couple of hours.

--------------------

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: Shroomism]
    #4604698 - 08/31/05 05:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I agree. While it ma have the potentional, it has never happened to me or anyone I know over MANY years.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: daimyo]
    #4604912 - 08/31/05 06:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

my neighbors leave their jar outside to sun brew for weeks at a time.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4605631 - 08/31/05 08:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I really can't see tea and water contaminating like a cake.. :rolleyes:.. This isn't nutrient rich solutions incubating in the dark

This is tea, and water.. brewed by the sun. My grandma always made sun tea and I always drank it growing up. It's a northern italian tradition or something.

Now if you leave meat outside in the sun all day.. it will develop all kinds of nasty bacteria. But that's meat. It has bacteria to begin with.

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4611495 - 09/02/05 02:55 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

can't see much logic in restricting yourself to raw foods only, not that I have the knowledge of the likes of shroomism (nice post) on the subject I just feel you can't go wrong if you eat a bit of everything.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: Raw Food - as a lifestyle [Re: faslimy]
    #4613029 - 09/02/05 03:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe the UV rays from the sun kill the potential nasties, cuz sun tea is very old tradition that makes great tea. I love it!
Not that you are gonna get sick, but you do have to wash everything very well if you eat all your food raw. One good thing about cooking things is that it destroys the foodborne nasties (e. coli, salmonella) that could be there from shipping and handling, cross contamination or even the organic fertilizer. So if you don't cook it, you have to soak and wash your veggies and fruits completely.
Anyway, thanks Shroomism for contributing your knowledge to this thread. :smile:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #4620093 - 09/04/05 06:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Youve got to watch the movie "Go Further"....

http://www.gofurtherthemovie.com/

They drive a biofuel bus from oregon to SanDiego and lecture at all the colleges along the way on environmental awareness. Theirs a good variety of people on the bus, some healthy and some not and they bring along a raw food cheff that makes all kinds of shit for them.. Even a chocolate mouse pie made with avacados.

Woody Harelson and a few others bicycle most of the way and one guy loses like 25 pounds and at the end feels like a kid again and all after just a few weeks of exercise and eating nothing but raw food.

Its a real good video to rent.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies