Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Loc: east coast
no pins, getting discouraged
    #4598254 - 08/30/05 08:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

ok so i've been waiting for some pins in the double tub tek that i have been using. it's day 13 of fruiting and no sign of pins. i've been giving them good air exchange (fanning a few times an hour) with the exception of the 8 hours i'm at work. i've been misting and keeping up the humidity, temps are usually between 78-83 degrees in the chamber. no pins yet, nothing, even though the myc looks healthy and there have been NO contams yet. how long should i wait before i give up? is it normal for pinning to take this long???

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: diabla]
    #4598268 - 08/30/05 08:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

What is the substrate :confused:.
You talking cakes, bulk trays, or what?

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: agar]
    #4598276 - 08/30/05 08:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i'm doing a bulk with hpoo, no casing layer. sorry, thought i got that in there. i birthed 3 brf cakes into it on 8/18, it colonized fine but no pins to speak of. the tubs are about 16x30" 7" deep with 2" of hpoo

--------------------

"..the thing is, people are getting hurt and the one thing the meteor shower didn't grace this town with was a superhero. So, in his absense, you're left with me. One girl, on a mission, determined to leave no rock - especially those from outerspace - unturned. My name is Chloe Sullivan, and I'm here to bring you the truth."

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4598292 - 08/30/05 08:34 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would suggest you add a casing layer. An easy casing TEK by R/K.

You will get far better results & weight, if you do (my opinion).

Simply case it, let it incubate long enough the myc crops through the casing layer, then expose to at least 12/12 light, increase FRESH AIR EXCHANGE & I would bet pins will form.

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

#4598299 - 08/30/05 08:40 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

if i put a casing layer on it now would it do any good? would the myc still colonize more? i was thinking of doing that but i thought it was probably too late.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4598306 - 08/30/05 08:50 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I would not suggest it - if I thought it would not do good.

If the myc is healthy (as - you say), it will colonize the casing layer.

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

#4598317 - 08/30/05 09:05 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

cool, i'll give it a spin tonight. thanks for clearing that up.

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

#4598358 - 08/30/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

regarding fresh air exchange, should i make some bigger holes in the tub or should i take the cover off and fan? or both? right now i have 2 small holes on each side about 2" above the poo and 4 small holes on top, one on each corner. the holes are like 1/4" in diameter

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4598482 - 08/30/05 11:06 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Fresh air exchange is a PINNING trigger. The MORE - the BETTER.

YOU DECIDE.

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

#4598513 - 08/30/05 11:26 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

not scared of fresh air, just hate contams.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4598740 - 08/30/05 01:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

FAE durations only need be 10-20 seconds each. Don't overdo your fanning excessive air exchanges will not promote pins and will dry out your casing, 5-6 a day is adequate. Light intensity can also help trigger pins as well as slightly lower temps (10F.) immediately after introduction to the fruiting chamber. Read my pinning strategy it will help you understand whats going on a little better. :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: hyphae]
    #4598801 - 08/30/05 01:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

If you are doing a double tub according to the specifications outlined in the tek, you shouldn't need to mist or fan at all. A double tub done properly will hold humidity very well. The air exchange is done automatically as long as there is some air movement in the room. Casing definitely helps the pinset.

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: FooMan]
    #4598815 - 08/30/05 01:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Read the  Tek carefully. It works excellent if you follow the tek to a "T". :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinediabla
THE DAY ISCOMING

Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: FooMan]
    #4598940 - 08/30/05 02:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hyphae, thanks for pointing that link out to me, i'll have to read it over a few times.
fooman, i didn't even realize it was an actual tek til this morning lol. so i'm gonna read that and tweak my project a little cause i would imagine mine is probabaly set up a little differently.

thanks again everyone, time to read now :goodmorning:

--------------------

InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4598954 - 08/30/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

GL diabla. You should have great success with the tek. I have so far. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinestereocranium
Stranger
    #4603137 - 08/31/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

its too wARM, not surer what strain your using but think of it this way , most shrooms that occur naturally in nature require a drop to around 70 degrees to fruit , i have 2 seperate fruiting chambers which seems to work real weel , the first is to get the pins to form , it has a bit lower humidity about 80% with a temp of around 70 , rarely above 72. once the pins form i move the container , usually a foil bread pan, to my other chamber , it has super high humidity , around 95 to 98 percent and slightly warmer temperatures, 73 to 78, and ive found that the high humidity and higher tempuatures cause the shrooms to think they are in some kinda tropical jungle and they get BIG, ive even had mexi cubs get close to 10 inches tall, and golden teachers particularly love this treatment, they will grow some caps that are very dense and wide and on average about 8 inches tall, however back to your dilemma , my first grow i tried to go to warm also , drop your temp to 70 or even 68 if you can , and i promise youll see pins in no time

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: no pins, getting discouraged [Re: stereocranium]
    #4603492 - 08/31/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stereocranium said:
its too wARM, not surer what strain your using but think of it this way , most shrooms that occur naturally in nature require a drop to around 70 degrees to fruit , i have 2 seperate fruiting chambers which seems to work real weel , the first is to get the pins to form , it has a bit lower humidity about 80% with a temp of around 70 , rarely above 72. once the pins form i move the container , usually a foil bread pan, to my other chamber , it has super high humidity , around 95 to 98 percent and slightly warmer temperatures, 73 to 78, and ive found that the high humidity and higher tempuatures cause the shrooms to think they are in some kinda tropical jungle and they get BIG, ive even had mexi cubs get close to 10 inches tall, and golden teachers particularly love this treatment, they will grow some caps that are very dense and wide and on average about 8 inches tall, however back to your dilemma , my first grow i tried to go to warm also , drop your temp to 70 or even 68 if you can , and i promise youll see pins in no time

WOW! thats some recommendations there bro but so ya know pins form abundantly in the moist humid pockets (higher RH) and fruits grow best when there is plenty of transpiration taking place (lower RH), they (shrooms) use this (transpiration)as a vehicle for increasing cellular mass. Your experiences are interesting to say the least. Optimum fruiting temps for cubies is 74-77F. this will never change. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation