Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Mail Radiation
    #459751 - 11/15/01 07:57 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: ralphster44]
    #459757 - 11/15/01 08:02 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I just watched a news conference on this and I may be wrong but they said (to the best of my knowledge) that this would start taking place over the next few years. And that funding has not been approved by our governtment yet.
I could be wrong.

Anyway I am lucky in this field I do not sell spores and shipping etc... will remain the same

Offlineun0r
enthusiast

Loc: North East, USA
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: dimitri211]
    #459759 - 11/15/01 08:04 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

wasn't this decided to be an opt-in extra charge fee?

--------------------
- Bill Goat

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Mail Radiation [Re: un0r]
    #459763 - 11/15/01 08:08 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
    #459767 - 11/15/01 08:10 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I will dig up a list of main hubs. Over the next few days.
Main hubs is where zoned mail goes then is shipped to the address there is 11 main hubs in the U.S.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: dimitri211]
    #459769 - 11/15/01 08:11 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Mail Radiation [Re: World Spirit]
    #459777 - 11/15/01 08:19 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

OfflineNecron99
Protect youreyes from flyingsugar!

Loc: SATx
    #459794 - 11/15/01 08:33 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The most I can say Iv'e heard is that the USPS was only able to get 8 machines right now and that they would be used to radiate mail in the New jersye/ New York/ Washington DC areas for sure. (CNN) This was about a week ago I saw that story. I had also heard (not sure where) that specified mail would be seperated. (ie. labled: Perishable, Video tapes, Spores etc.) Not just Psylocybe spores are sent throught the mail, so maybe there's a ray of hope there......

--------------------

"Puny earthlings do not yet know the meaning of the word suffering!!"

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: Necron99]
    #459809 - 11/15/01 08:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'd think they'd have something so that certain types of packages don't get nuked or whatever. That could mess up electronics, spores for other things, etc. You'd think they'd have stickers or something for special packages... I'm sure they're not gonna just let some package with a sticker on it go to the white house or something, but the whole radiation deal would/could cause problems if they nuke every package that goes through the main hubs. Just my thaughts though.

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

OfflineabsoluteZero
    #459841 - 11/15/01 09:19 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

im not an expert on radiation or mushrooms, but are you sure that the radiation will kill the mushroom spores?
i alwasy Anthrax was a bateria, and the "spores" weren't the same as mushrooms...

anyway, i don't know what im talking about so feel free to shoot me down (figurativly... all you wanna be terrorists..hehe)

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
    #459852 - 11/15/01 09:30 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

So when does the zapping go into effect,
Perhaps you should have a pre-radiation sale, so we can stock up.

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: MeltingPenguin]
    #459873 - 11/15/01 09:47 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

The US mail system will not be able to radiate all mail. I wouldnt be VERY suprised if they didnt offer a service where you can get the mail sent "unraidated". Ofcourse, this might mean walking/driving/busing to a post office and letting them seal packages for you -- but hey -- atleast we get viable spores. Maby you'll have to set aside a day or two in the week when all orders would be sent out. Moreover, that way you have a reason to knock on the sexy post office lady with one tooth all day long!

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Anonymous

Re: Mail Radiation [Re: phrozendata]
    #459953 - 11/15/01 11:05 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Believe it when you here it from a reliable source.

OfflineOsh_Kosh_BGosh
journeyman

Re: Mail Radiation [Re: ]
    #459974 - 11/15/01 11:25 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

well... why don't you send a few spores through the mail to find out.. it might not even have any effect on the spores....

Anonymous

#459990 - 11/15/01 11:38 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

This can't be. What about film?

I ship film all over the place. I guess next to the spore venders, I'll be one of the first to find out.

Leaf

Anonymous

#459995 - 11/15/01 11:43 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

No offense Ralph, but I'm sorta with Max on this one (albeit not on top or underneath him). I gotta get some more reliable info before I start getting too nervous about this.

Leaf

Anonymous

#460011 - 11/16/01 12:04 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

From what I've heard (and that seems to be all anybody knows..'what they've heard...'), the radiation of mail will be a pay for option. So big media companies will likely pay the cost, Joe Blow won't. And I would presume all government mail will automatically be radiated. So if you are a politician planning on ordering spores, you better do it soon!

InvisibleJackMehoff
enthusiast

Loc: up your ass
    #460015 - 11/16/01 12:10 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Believe it when you here it from a reliable source.

Exactly!

Ralph, if you want to end the fsr just end it. You have gotten your vendor operation going. No need for you and the other vendors missing out on that money you could be makeing selling prints to n00bs and the others who use the fsr. If you want to increase your prices just do it. Your market share will adjust itself out.

I know you guys have a tough time getting by as it is buying prints from bulk growers for a few bucks and marking them up 600%-800% to sell. Yea man, mark those spores up quick.

--------------------
BULLSHIT

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: absoluteZero]
    #460107 - 11/16/01 02:18 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

>im not an expert on radiation or mushrooms, but are you
>are that the radiation will kill the mushroom spores?
>i alwasy Anthrax was a bateria, and the "spores" weren't
>the same as mushrooms...

When you hear in the news "anthrax has been shipped in an envelope to xy" then in fact spores (more exact endospores) of the anthrax bacteria have been shipped.

Endospores are well known to survive much harsher environments than mushroom spores(a common problem in the mushroom cultivation where those endospores survive even prolonged sterilisation in the pressure cooker....)

So IF the mail would be irradiated to kill the anthrax endospores, THEN the mushroom spores would be killed for sure.

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
Loc: Germany
Re: Mail Radiation [Re: Anno]
    #460223 - 11/16/01 07:39 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

> So IF the mail would be irradiated to kill the anthrax
> endospores, THEN the mushroom spores would be killed
> for sure.

Amen!

To all people:

If you ask me, the radiation of mail is bullshit, and is probably a method to scare possible terrorist from shipping dangerous microorganis (or their endospore). This is my opinion as a physicist and not as a mushroom cultivating Elektrolurch.

First of all there are too many things shipped through the mail that are radiation sensitive, e.g. photografic plates or films, but also microorganism (not only people who want to grow shrooms get microorganism shipped), and even food is shipped.

Stating each package contents and checking the statement is an enormous logistic problem.

We get now to the technical problems. What radiation should be used? Microwave is no way, due to possible interaction with metall (even aluminium foil) in the package, and due to the heat production. The next one is UV, the penetration depth is almost cero and can only be used to sterilize surfaces. Then we have the weak x-ray, also interacting with the metall, but being refracted or reflected rather than producing electric discharges like with microwaves. The penetration depth of such radiation is not too big (therefore it is used in airports, being refracted at condensed matter like big amounts of powder (e.g. cacaine) and being reflected on metalls (e.g. pistols).

You would have to use hard x-ray or low gamma-ray, but both are not really healthy.
There is still a problem intrisic to any irradiation process: There is a strong mass dependence of the irradiation time needed to "sterilize". If you are going to sterilize a big amount of "pouder sugar", you need a much longer time than sterilizing the half of it (a non-linear dependece). Big amounts of energy would be needed, and this would have to be paid, especially big packages would become unpayable.
The irradiation would take a reasonable amount of time per package. Because of health riscs the irradiation has to be local (you couldn't irradiate the mail while it's being sorted).

Also the probability of killing the "target" depends on the size of it, so e.g. a virus would be very difficult to kill (because of its very small size), and would need long irradiation times and high intensities.

Resumee:To irradiate the mail would be old fashioned and stupid. The method that the german are thinking of is better suited. They are thinking about using a kind of electronic nose which reacts to proteins that are spore specific.

Besides all of the above, one thing is for sure, the effectiveness of anthrax was and is being overestimated. In the USA at least 100 persons, if not much more, had contact with the spores only 4 people were infected. This is a effectiveness of 4%, and for a weapon way to low!

Elektrolurch

--------------------
"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules