Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMyco_Max
Tuition Creator

Questions and concerns about my first grow
    #4596616 - 08/29/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hello everyone,
I've been reading up on my techniques for about a month now, and i think i'm ready for my first official post. This grow will be more of a learning experience than anything else. My main goal being to colonize and fruit at least one rubber maid storage tub, but hopefully 2-3. Also i will not that I am on a strict budget and have only spent money on what supplies i deemed to be essential.
I began with alot of corn. It turns out way too much, about 6lbs. I soaked the corn for 24 hours and then simmered for ruffly an hour without ever reaching a boil. the pot was then left to cool. I observed that the corn had begun to split but not severly. At this time the corn was dried on towels and loaded into 10 jars, 2/3rds full, tyvek filters and bands, no lids. (I attempted to dril holes in the lids with little success, first a partially drilled lid drew blood and then a drill bit scathed my thumb causing quite a mess)
The one large investment I made was a 21 quart maid of honor PC.
5 of the ten jars were then PC'd for 1 hour at 15 psi. One day later the jars were inoculated with 2cc's of Golden Teacher. That was the 26th of august. The remaining jars were PC'd yesterday despite the initial signs of cobweb mold. The incoluated jars are being stored in a dark place at room temp(74-78 degrees). This temp i realize is a bit lower than reccomended but i have also read that colonization will still take place. However 3 days after inoculation i have seen no signs of growth, niether positive nor contams. Should i be alarmed or is this to be expected at these lower temps? Will it be necessary to fruit at much lower temps?

Well thats it for now. Any comments, concerns, suggestion?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Questions and concerns about my first grow [Re: Myco_Max]
    #4596639 - 08/29/05 10:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You should bring the temp up about 10 degrees. And at 3 days, dont worry. It can take a week or more to see anything. I say you will see signs on the 5th day,lol. Im just guessing LOL.

OfflinetheBRINK
horse on moon
 User Gallery

Loc: the moon
    #4596654 - 08/29/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

>> i have seen no signs of growth

wait

>>The remaining jars were PC'd yesterday despite the initial signs of cobweb mold.

and you still inoculated them? they should be 100% steril after in the pc.. if not chuck em and start over

>>The incoluated jars are being stored in a dark place at room temp(74-78 degrees)

lower temp is fine, you just dun want a too high of a temp.

>>Will it be necessary to fruit at much lower temps?

you'll wanna drop the temp down to around 72 degrees when its time to fruit and raise humidity to initiate pinning.

are you planning on casing these? what size jars are you using? what's the set up for fruting and incubation chamber?

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4596838 - 08/29/05 11:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, Good Luck.

Next time, PC your jars a little longer. I do my WBS for at least 75 minutes to 90 minutes at 15 PSI. 60 might not be long enough to get real good results and kill all the endospores and such.

Definitely try to get your temp up. The longer colonization takes, the better chance competing organisms have of getting a foot hold.
You want the mycelium to get established as fast as possible so it can help ward off contams.

Time wise you have nothing to worry about right now. It can take 5 - 7 days for spores to germinate, then a couple more before you can really see anything.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineMyco_Max
Tuition Creator

Re: Questions and concerns about my first grow [Re: HippieChick]
    #4597432 - 08/30/05 01:32 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well i finally convinced a friend to take me to walmart and pick up an aquarium heater. so now i have heat for the jars. the five inoculated jars have been moved to a larger tub. In the middle of the tub i have placed a piture with the heater in it. This should with a little work give me the temps i need. Oh yes and on top of all of this i have a down comforter. Tommorow i will setup a cooler, but for now i think this should provide ample insulation.
As to the casing part that is alot of what i would liek input on.
If i can get enough spawn i was considering doing just a verm/spawn mix cased with 50/50. perhaps mix in a small amount of manure but overall just keep it pretty simple.
Oh and they are quart jars.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation