Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Media whore meets media whore.
    #4595299 - 08/29/05 04:04 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Fictional President Meets with Cindy Sheehan

Posted August 29, 2005 at 2:10 a.m.

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) -- Cindy Sheehan still hasn't achieved a meeting with the president during her three-week-long war protest near his ranch, but she met a man who plays one on TV.

Martin Sheen, who plays Democratic President Josiah "Jeb" Bartlet on NBC's "The West Wing," went to Sheehan's makeshift campsite Sunday. He is known for his peace activism.

"At least you've got the acting president of the United States," Sheen said as the crowd of more than 300 people cheered. "I think you know what I do for a living, but this is what I do to stay alive."

Then Sheen led anti-war demonstrators who are Roman Catholic in reciting the rosary.

Sheehan, of Vacaville, was among a group of grieving families who met President Bush about two months after her son died last year, before she became a vocal opponent of the war.

Bush has said Sheehan has the right to protest and he sympathizes with her, but his aides have said there are no plans to change his schedule to meet with her. His vacation is to end Sept. 2.

She arrived in Bush's adopted hometown Aug. 6 and promised to stay until she could question Bush about the war that has claimed more than 1,870 U.S. soldiers' lives -- including that of her son Casey.

Earlier Sunday, the Rev. Al Sharpton spoke at an interfaith service at the camp, saying he was compelled to meet Sheehan.

"I feel that it is our moral obligation to stand and to be courageous with these families, and particularly Cindy, that have become the conscience of this nation," Sharpton said. "Somebody had to bring to the doorsteps of this president the truth."

Sharpton, a former Democratic presidential candidate, said he and the peace activists would protest a war they believed was wrong regardless of the president's political party.

During the service, several cars with pro-Bush signs drove slowly down the road by the protest campsite. Later, one man who had been walking down the street was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly shoving an anti-war demonstrator, McLennan County sheriff's deputies said.

Sharpton reminded protesters that Sunday was the 42nd anniversary of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech in Washington, D.C.

"The civil rights movement and the peace movement was not made from big names ... and I wanted to come on the anniversary with ordinary people that are doing what I think Dr. King would have wanted us to do today," Sharpton said.

He spoke under a large tent on the 1-acre private lot the demonstrators have used for more than a week for large events. Some protesters also have started camping at the second site.

Meanwhile, a few dozen Bush supporters held signs from their small camp in a ditch across the street from Sheehan's original site, where most of the dozens of protesters have continued camping off the main road leading to Bush's ranch. A dozen sheriff's deputies stood between the two groups.

After the war protest ends Wednesday, the anti-war group will spread its message on a bus tour, with the first stop probably in the southeast Texas district of U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: Inside my head
Re: Media whore meets media whore. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4595342 - 08/29/05 04:20 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Bush and his buddies are the true media whores. No one can top them.

Think for yourself. Question authority.

Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice.

You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

tales of theinexpressible

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Media whore meets media whore. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4595434 - 08/29/05 05:05 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

She was out there months before she got media attention.......The media are the only whores in this situation.

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Media whore meets media whore. [Re: barfightlard]
    #4595642 - 08/29/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

bellylard said:
She was out there months before she got media attention.......The media are the only whores in this situation.

Out where?

Do you mean at Lynn Stewart rallies?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ranch Dressing

General Interest >> Political Discussion