Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky?
    #4594941 - 08/29/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? I am thinking maybe gypsum. You would probably need a lot though, is it harmful, does it change ph much?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: blackout]
    #4594953 - 08/29/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hi..bro

I think that gypsum might work.

There are several teks with adding gypsum to Rye grain to keep it from sticking.

I'm not sure what kind of ph gypsum gives off...you might have to experiment.

and your good with the experiments.

:smile:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: Roadkill]
    #4594968 - 08/29/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am pretty sure gypsum is basic, I think it is a buffer though so it may not be a problem. I guess soaking it and rinsing will get some of the excess starch off. Maybe lightly toasting it would help.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: blackout]
    #4594981 - 08/29/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

gypsum is on the alkaline side of the ph scale and can be used as a buffer and/or used in grains to aid in keep the grains from sticking together. i don't think you would need alot, a pinch per jar was recommended to me on another site, so thats not alot.
:peace:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: backupwards]
    #4595262 - 08/29/05 01:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Have you tried verm? I add it to all my grain jars, they stay loose the whole time, and easy to break up. I did whole grain brown rice like that too, stays shakable just fine until it gets colonized..tough to shake colonized clumps apart though. Still pretty easy to break up with a spoon though when its time, easier then without verm anyway. Ive added gypsum as well, didnt notice a difference. I dont notice a difference on any grain jars tested with gypsum though.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4595292 - 08/29/05 02:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What about a few mills of vegetable oil per jar?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4596326 - 08/29/05 07:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Cook it then rinse it well. Gypsum helps to but removing as much starch as possible is what you'll want to do.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: hyphae]
    #4596369 - 08/29/05 07:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Gravy.

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is there anything you could add to rice to stop it getting sticky? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4597896 - 08/30/05 02:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Have you tried verm?

I am planning on microwaving the rice and verm in the microwave has caused me big problems before, it melted tupperware and has broken glass. Probably due to me letting it get too dry.

I like hotnutz vegetable oil idea. I will have to try a few things out with small batches of rice.

Problem with rice in the microwave is hot/cold spots. As it is unshakeable it is difficult to heat it evenly. If you could shake it up I think it would be well suited to the microwave and you may be able to sterilize it in one easy step.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags