Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKalendula
Ergot Sympathizer

Loc: Long Island
Help! Full Grow w/o electricity
    #4594597 - 08/29/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The problem is incubation and fruiting. I HAVE electricty, I just don't have outlets in the room in which I'm growing them. I'm growing them in my basement storage facility--that's where the mushrooms will incubate and fruit. How can I do it? I plan to use the PF-Tek and I also plan to case. I found a casing tek in "The Shroomery Cultivation FAQ" that suits me, but I wanna know if it's a good technique:

"Using the casing container itself as a fruiting chamber:

This has the advantage of a much larger casing area, since any large bin, itself, can be cased. There is also no need for any external means of humidification -- no perlite is needed because the humidity simply comes from the casing, itself. The casings are much larger, and are isolated from one another in separate bins. The casing container should be large enough so the fully-grown mushrooms won't hit the top (not a big deal, but it can't be a good thing) -- usually a 12" deep bin is fine. This bin is cased end-to-end, and then it's covered with saran wrap, and the casing is allowed to colonize at fruiting temperatures."

This will be my first grow everyone, wish me luck! Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblackout
Microwaver
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: Kalendula]
    #4594661 - 08/29/05 12:31 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Get a extension lead to the basement?
What temp is the basement?
If you are casing why not just use grains, have you a PC?

--------------------
support the free spore ring http://fsre.nl/

OfflineKalendula
Ergot Sympathizer

Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: blackout]
    #4594747 - 08/29/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Getting an extension cord to the basement would require me to link a cord throughout the downstairs of my apartment complex, which is a public area. It's doable, but it could become an issue, although it's not likely. I may end up doing just that, however I'd much prefer to do without going through the trouble of stapling a cord along the walls, etc. At least for my first grow. Isn't there an alternative?

My basement isn't really that humid, and as far as temperature, I never thought too much about temps until now, but I'd say around 60-70 F. I dunno at the moment, sorry for sounding like a dumbass.

No, I don't have a pressure cooker, I plan to use a regular pot for the sterilization. What exactly do you mean by "If you are casing why not just use grains..."? What about the tek I listed about the casing bin maintaing it's own humidity during the fruiting? Also, if I'm not fully prepared to start when my syringes arrive, at what temperature should I store them?

Edited by Kalendula (08/29/05 12:59 PM)

OfflinetheBRINK
horse on moon
 User Gallery

Loc: the moon
    #4594772 - 08/29/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

do you have a light in there? if so, everything else can be done w/o electricity... you might have to incubate your jars elsewhere.. shouldn't be a problem since they're 1/2 pint and easily conceilable.

but to keep up rh, a hand mister would suffice. the syringes will be fine at room temp for a few weeks, even a month or so. if it's gonna be longer than that, the fridge will be your best bet.

just read as much as you can, and you'll be fine

welcome to the shroomery

blackout is stating that grains colonize faster and do far better than brf also are easier to case... but you shouldn't attempt that until you have a pc. stick to pf tek for now

--------------------

Offlinepuwtrip
spirit molecule

Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: theBRINK]
    #4594818 - 08/29/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

you can definitely do a full grow without electricity, but there are some things you will need to do...

get the temperature during the day and night in your basement. since incubating and fruiting temps are not ideally the same, you might need to find a way to warm up the colonizing jars or insulate them.

find a way to get some light in there when it's time to fruit.

the casing idea will work provided the ambient temperatures are correct. you can also just cover the container with a lid or plastic bag to keep humidity and moisture levels up.

OfflineKalendula
Ergot Sympathizer

Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: puwtrip]
    #4594915 - 08/29/05 01:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I should have mentioned that light isn't a problem. The basement has two small windows in it and there's a place for me to put the fruiting chamber so it will get a sufficient amount of light.

OfflineKalendula
Ergot Sympathizer

Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: theBRINK]
    #4594948 - 08/29/05 02:01 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

"do you have a light in there? if so, everything else can be done w/o electricity... you might have to incubate your jars elsewhere.. shouldn't be a problem since they're 1/2 pint and easily conceilable."

I was entusiastic about the fish tank bubbler incubation tek, but I just read that they're noisy, which won't work for me. I did a little reading on perlite, but everything I read was centered around fruiting. I haven't really found an incubation tek to suit me. And, what about the tek I quoted in my first post? The one that states that a casing bin (approx. 12" high) with plastic wrap can sustain proper humidity? It sounds ideal, but...?

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #4594967 - 08/29/05 02:11 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I HAVE electricty, I just don't have outlets in the room in which I'm growing them. I'm growing them in my basement storage facility

Does the room have a light bulb in it?

If it has a light bulb in it...you can get this screw in type of adapter that has a plug end...they are made for light bulb sockets.

Then you could plug an extention cord into the adapter...and run a multi-plug extention cord off that.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineKalendula
Ergot Sympathizer

Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: Roadkill]
    #4595509 - 08/29/05 05:38 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for that information Roadkill! I was just about to go out and buy a 50' extension cord and a staple gun.

I DO have a light bulb socket in there. In fact I have TWO! You just solved all my problems by making me aware of these devices. My local hardware store has them. Awesome!!! Thanks again.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: Help! Full Grow w/o electricity [Re: Roadkill]
    #4595521 - 08/29/05 05:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What would we do without neewbies to steer in the right direction?
:foreheadslap: :doh: :rofl: :rofl2:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation