Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Drinking till Ican't feelfeelings

Loc: Amsterdam where you shoul...
New here but not to our funguys
    #4594209 - 08/29/05 04:40 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Been doing this for about five or six years and am going bulk.  Popcorn to straw cased vermpeatflour.  I have a syringe made from a hugeass hawaiian in a rush 1.5 days in unsterile conditions.  I used a cc a quart for three jars.  One showed signs of green so I kicked it out, but the other two are pure and clean, (much to my suprise)  I wanted to isolate but haven't made a flowhood and just kicked the multispore injection in to get me that extra money!  I have a question for bulkers out there:  Can I spawn a good six in layer of straw with two quarts of multispore injected popcorn (were done in a week)  without risk of contam?  Are there ratios involved?  I am sure a smaller tub would work?  I have some blue meanies that are about five days behind in development (innocc same day as hawaiians) I kinda need to know coz I gotta do something these jars went QUICK!  Also, does more food/energy come from popcorn or straw?  I could just use the popcorn and case, but smaller booms and fewer flushes *sigh*  Anything to get a specimen I dig so as to clone onto peroxidated agar and avoid needing a flowhood!  Can you peroxidate grains?  That agar tek beats the hell out of the way we used to have to do it!  Thank you in advance, it's good to be here, and I have to smoke and be patient now! :smile:

I'm tryin to drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New here but not to our funguys [Re: BossBoom]
    #4594528 - 08/29/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The paragraph was hard to read, I dont know if its long an unbroken up, or just cause I just woke up and Im not stoned yet..let me know if you have more questions but

Spawn ratio to straw should be at LEAST 10% straw..but 25-30% would be far better. Shreaded straw would be far better to (blender). How deep doesnt matter, its volume to volume. Straw could be 6 inches deep the size of a room, or the size of a small tub..how much spawn relies on the volume it fills, so figure out how many quarts it takes.

Popcorn and straw are both pretty low on the nutrient end, some of the lowest, so they're probably close to equal, maybe a little more from the straw (especially since you use way more straw, but if you considered equal amounts still probably straw). The biggest thing when you spawn to straw, is you get 5-10 times the amount of substrate (because of the spawn ratio). Doesnt mean youll get that many times in mushies..but if it doubles your production, still good. You can not use peroxide on grains well..not that it will hurt colonized grains, but it wont sterilize them, or do any good. You need to properly sterilize them, colonize them, and properly pasteurize your straw.

By the way, I do not and never have used a flowhood, and until recently never used a glovebox, still dont really, just every now and then. I've done many many clones, and lots of sterile work...theres a FAQ about it..but you can clean out your bathroom, or another small room with flat surfaces and no carpet. Pull out everything thats not nailed down, close the door, and remove all air flow (heaters, a/c, windows), then clean the surfaces and spray lysol in the air and let it settle for 15 minutes with the door closed and you not in it. Then get your shit together, with no clothes on, some gloves, and a paint mask if you got it and take it all in there. If you do things quickly, and dont stir up the air, you can have a good success rate. There are also liquid cultures (LCs) which you could drop a clone into, and you could add peroxide to..although i failed everytime I added peroxide, and have been far more successful cloning without..occasionally you get a contam, but take a few clones and one should make it.

I'd highly suggest looking into better things to grow on. WBS or rye are far better as grains then popcorn, and manure is far better then straw to spawn to. Horse manure is best, I dont think Tn Stud ships to amsterdam, so hopefully you know somewhere with horses? There is a ton of info on this board about all the things I talked about, so do a search on the site or in posts if you have any questions, the answers are out there. Good luck!

"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation