Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Suburbia
Planning next grow, where can I find...
    #4593594 - 08/29/05 01:54 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

...information on each strain of cubes? I mean pictures, growing habits, origins, etc. I'm interested in making an informed decision on my next batch and it wouldn't hurt to do more reading. Can anyone point me to it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: Newbie]
    #4593662 - 08/29/05 02:03 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Just do EQ, or if you done those do Cambodians.

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: PooGrowerPart2]
    #4593704 - 08/29/05 02:08 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I was thinking creepers...

Just so I could walk up to my friends acting all mysterious and say, "You guys wanna meet the creeper?" hahaha

OfflinePooGrowerPart2
semi pro

#4593764 - 08/29/05 02:18 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Ive *seen pictures* of eqs with caps the size of my fist and stems bigger then my middle finger. Creepers are like a gimmick from the past, give it a cool name charge extra, although now there probably the same price. Eqs are one of the most forgiven and potent and efficient.

--------------------
Now listen hear mush babys, i just beleive its the right thing to do.... I got a brand new bitch corporate america, shes showing me alot of action right now.
But i know you put me on my feet and all, but you know, its time for me to grow.... You gotta let me go baby gotta let me go.. Im done for now so 1 for now, like all good things we must come to an end SO please show the same life to my friends.... DEAR MUSH MUSH

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: PooGrowerPart2]
    #4593874 - 08/29/05 02:40 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Really...

My interest is peaked. I'll have to give it a shot.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
    #4593982 - 08/29/05 03:16 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Orrissa grow huge, but I think a lot of the strains will if you have the right size, depth and nutritional substrate.
Potency is pretty much like any other cubie that I have tryed.
They all seem pretty much the same to me so far.
I grow from pretty much the same substrate all the time.

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: bumper]
    #4594060 - 08/29/05 03:43 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

So I guess there's not really anywhere to get a detailed explanation on them all?

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
    #4594148 - 08/29/05 04:10 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

There was a thread somewhere with origins of the strains and info on some of them, but I cant seem to find it.

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

InvisibleLand_Crab
NeuroticPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.
    #4594164 - 08/29/05 04:15 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Try going through the vendors' websites. Some of them have descriptions of each one. The most important differences to look out for are rate of colonization, rate of fruiting, density, size, and shape*. Any reported differences in potency have to be taken with a grain of salt. All of the Cubensis are in the same basic range of potency (vs. Azurescens or Cyanescens).

*To determine these things, I would actually recommend that you get a number of different strains, grow them out, and take detailed notes. This way you can see for yourself which ones colonize or fruit faster, what the yield is like, and whether or not there is a true, tangible difference in potency.
^To be fully accurate, you should grow them all out under fairly identical conditions (I.E. same substrate and temperatures), and gather data from two generations or more from each. This requires patience that you may or may not have to get good info.

Also, sub-strains can vary quite a bit from one another. A strain you get from one source may end up looking quite different than one you got from another source, even though they both have the same name.

--Just my 2 cents.

Offlinethepinkpanther
Stranger
Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: Land_Crab]
    #4594180 - 08/29/05 04:22 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

i am so glad you posted this helped me make a hard choice.... so many types of cubensis. by EQ do you mean Ecuadorian?

OfflineBossBoom
Drinking till Ican't feelfeelings

Loc: Amsterdam where you shoul...
Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: thepinkpanther]
    #4594214 - 08/29/05 04:48 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

ralphsters has a great description for all of their strains. Peace.

--------------------
I'm tryin to drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4594285 - 08/29/05 06:17 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS

B+
The B+ is a relatively fast colonizer that fruits very easily and produces some large fruits in abundace. A hardy forgiving strain makes this an excellent choice for beginners as it grows easily in a variety of conditions. Colonization temperatures are 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Ecuador
The Ecuadorian is an excellent choice for the beginner as this cubensis strain produces some large fruits with nice flushes. The ecuadorian is just a beautiful fruit that will grow easily on most any substrate. This strain has very meaty stalks with beautiful caramel colored caps. Colonization temperatures are 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Thailand Koh-Saumi
This cubensis form the Isle of Koh-Saumi produces small to medium fruits with potent effects. This one is a very good resistor of contaminants, a fast colonizer, and is a good choice for beginners. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Puerto Rican
The Puerto Rican is known for it's VERY potent effects and extremely rizomorphic mycellium. A fast and aggressive colonizer that produces medium to large fruits. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

PESA
The VERY potent PESA produces small to medium fruits. It was originally sold by pacific exotic spora as an azure hybrid, But it is just a really potent cubensis. Also a fast colonizer makes this one a really nice strain. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees. F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Treasure Coast
A very prolific fruiter from the gulf coast of southern florida,The Treasure Coast strain of cubensis is known for it's characteristic of producing albino fruits. The Treasure Coast is a very fast colonizer, which produces some beautiful lightly caramel, sometimes almost white or albino fruits. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Mazatapec
A hardy classic cubensis strain from deep in southern Mexico. The Mazatapec is sought for it's spirituality from within. An aggressive, rhizomorphic mycellium is another characteristic of this strain. Another good choice for the beginner. The Mazatapec also has the tendency to be an abundant fruiter.Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F is optimal.

Golden Teacher
A beuatiful cubensis that is very hardy and produces large fruits especially in later flushes. Thick meaty stalks and dark spotted caps are another characteristic of this strain. Extreme bluing reaction upon any cutting or bruising of the fruit. It's no wonder it carries the name it does. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Tasmanian
The Tasmanian strain of cubensis has excellent fruiting ability. The fruits The Tasmanian produces are large with some fruits reaching heights up to 8 inches. The caps on this strain are a light yellow in color. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Acadian Coast
This Strain of cubensis from louisiana is an abundant fruiter with extremely rizomorphic mycellium. A prolific pinset is another characteristic of this strain. Fruits are medium to large. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

PES Amazonian
A very Prolific fruiter with average fruits reaching over six inches. A good choice for beginners, the mycellium is very rizomorphic, and it is also a fast colonizer. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Huautla
Psilocybe cubensis Huautla recently collected from southern Mexico in the Oaxaca region, close to the village Huautla de jiminez. It has long skinny stalks, and conic to hemispheric caps. An abundant fruiter with fruits from six to ten inches. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Cambodian
An excellent strain from Angkor wat, the Cambodian is a very fast colonizer producing beautiful fruits. For a cubensis the Cambodian is thought to be very potent. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Plantasia Mystery
A beautiful strain of cubensis with average size fruits. Colonization speed is average for a cubensis. This one is worth exploring it's mystery. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees is optimal.

Gulf Coast
From the eastern coastal region of Florida, the Gulf coast strain of cubensis is very potent. An abundant fruiter the gulf coast strain has average to large fruits. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees F. is optimal.

Panama
This one from Panama is an excelent cubensis. Potent as well as an abundant fruiter makes this one a nice choice for any collection. The panamanian is sure to please. Colonization temperatures 84/86 degrees F. Fruiting temperatures 74/78 degrees is optimal.

***Things I Noticed*** The Creeper strain seems to be missing, and I was under the impression that PESA and PES Amazonian was the same strain....am I wrong???

So lets have an overview shall we:

FAST COLONIZERS:
B+
Thailand Koh-Saumi
Cambodian
PESA
Treasure Coast
Mazatepec
PES Amazonian

ABUNDANT & PROLIFIC FRUITERS:
B+
Equador
Huaulta
PES Amazonian
Mazatepec
Cambodian
Gulf Coast
Golden Teacher
Acadian Coast
Tasmanian

HIGHER POTENCY:
Puerto Rican
PESA
Cambodian
Gulf Coast
Panama

AVERAGE:
Plantasia Mystery

Creeper I have heard from plenty of people on these forums that they are fast colonizers, abundant fruiters, and Potent

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Planning next grow, where can I find... [Re: Magash]
    #4594297 - 08/29/05 07:18 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

Nice Magash...exactly what I wanted :wink:  They all pretty much say the same thing but the potencies caught my attention.

Edited by Newbie (08/29/05 07:20 AM)

Invisiblebusted123
gone
    #4594318 - 08/29/05 07:40 AM (12 years, 26 days ago)

I'm a newb and purchased 4 different spores (and they included 1 free!) from a vendor. I will be taking detailed notes my first time around, but I'm thinking of experimenting with different substrates my first time round. If you read this, do you think you could post what substrate you used in your cakes, as well as your casing?

Thanks

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation