Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineheadset
Stranger
show promotion
    #4592250 - 08/28/05 10:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

K, so when i lived here before, i tried to put on shows for about a year - I had the bands.. but also spikes, patchpants and a coke addiction..

A year has passed and im back - and there are no shows, and some shitty local bands. No one puts in the inititive - punk rock saved my soul as a kid, and that needs to happen for the next generation.. Ive got no problem bringing bands, or getting kids (maybe 20-30 and upto a 100 if your lucky, everyshow.. small, but thats the reality of here.)

Anyways, Seeing as there is NO luck with getting a venue donated, im thinking about reopening 12th st. Studios which is fairly lenient, decent location and cheap $1000 a month for unlimited use (around other users events)

So, here's the question: what does it take to run a venue? Security i can have handled - for the most part im pretty down with all the kids (no one's going to fuck shit up, this is what we need, stressing the concept of community and action.).. Ive been getting emails even over the last year (when i havent been here) for bands just comming through and looking for some exposure, no quota to meet...

What do bands usually expect (small diy bands doing westcoast tours with the odd known headliner thrown in) - local bands will play for beer money... The expenses are covered at the venue, id run a table with some local merch and concession... and could probably throw upto 2-3 shows a week depending on time and interest.

35 people x 6 dollars x 6x per month - would be $1260 and thats pretty conservative...

I guess its just getting interest and some cash together for the bands. Im definately willing to put cash upfront.. and might be able to do some volunteer work in exchange for a discount.

Anyways - thats disjointed - whose done shows?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: show promotion [Re: headset]
    #4592418 - 08/28/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well it depends on the professionalism level of the bands mostly. Are you having local amateurs? touring recording artists? a combination of the two? The price varies greatly between the two.. most touring bands will expect at least 10-15% of door sales whereas locals will play for little to nothing. Most club owners try to dick musicians out as much as possible.
I have never run a venue but I've put together quite a few shows. Make sure you have all that legal paperwork taken care of.
Basically it's just a matter of agreeing on a rate between bands. Usually the way it works is the touring musicians get paid a set price, no matter how many people show up, or a cut of the door. The local bands usually have to sell their own tickets (that they get for cheaper than cost) and keep whatever is left after they pay off the tickets. After they show they can bring some crowds then they don't have to do this.
Also what is the PA situation? You'll need one of those.
Fire code regulations.. and all that shit.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: show promotion [Re: Shroomism]
    #4592565 - 08/28/05 11:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ah and when you have known headliners the price goes up. Since you have to pay them more (they usually have a minimum in their contract) you have to charge more for the tickets. I don't know any exact figures but some bands want a lot of money for playing small ass shows. Also if you're gonna sell alcohol you better be fucken careful even if you have a liquor license. But that's where the money is for most venues - alcohol. A lot comes from the door but more comes from the alcoholics.

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4592959 - 08/29/05 12:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Na.

This is bands like Wednesday night hero's, pinback, DOA, The Ripcordz..

Mostly bands just touring Canada or just the West Coast. Tickets sold at the door only. NO administrative fee's (its a labour of love), "no drugs, no thugs." keep it clean for the kids (get fucked up outside, and dont smash glass.!), Between me and my friends we've got all the equipment needed (no need to rent or provide a PA)... And the liscenses are taken care of at the venue as its used by other people aswell.. (although ill have to confirm that.)..

Most of the bands that ive talked to.. Mostly Vancouver bands, or east coast bands headed to vancouver just want a date between and maybe a little help with gas IF do-able. I want to organize vegetarian potlucks to feed the bands + they can crash at my place, use my phone/internet etc.. Its just cheaper than camping or hotel and restaurants + it builds community. This is totally grassroots.

A kid used to Promote here when iw as just getting into the scene and 2 warehouses we used for shows were closed down due to fire regulations. he had up to 4 shows a week and sometimes it would be 3 or 4 people there with 4 or 5 bands.. the bands take what they can get, and its basically a free jam space/network. Ronny ended up paying for the venue out of his pocket alot though, it was alot cheaper too.

When i was living at a punk house in Vancouver, we would regularily have shows with 15-40 people and 3 or 4 bands (lots of west coast/midwest US punk bands.) and there was no "door" walk in, and donate what you can for the touring bands. Locals just eat and hang out and play and maybe drink some homemade wine or whatever...

Im actually moving into a house where *shows* are a possibility, but ill have to talk to the other 5-9 roommates... theyre not so *like me.*

Do you know of any resources where i could find out more? I guess i just talk to the kids at the local online fanzines.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: show promotion [Re: headset]
    #4592994 - 08/29/05 12:24 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ok sweet so you are talking underground styles. Much simpler to do it that way.
What are your major concerns? What resources do you need?
You are worried about promotion?

--------------------

Offlineheadset
Stranger
    #4593554 - 08/29/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Promotion is easy... Mostly just paying the bands/not disappointing them.

If i approach it right i should be able to get a venue donated by a church or BOys N girls Club.. but id rather do something in an underground venue, warehouse shows rock.. no rules and spraypaint.

I guess im just looking for DIY punkrock promotion.. but ill probably turn something up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub