Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Thoughts on horse manure and the benefits of composting poo.
    #4591674 - 08/28/05 07:05 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I spent some time pouring over TMC and talking to people online, and i have come to this general conclusion using spotting inductive reasoning:
(please note; all references to manure, dung and poo, are in reference to horse manure)
====================================================================
Composting fresh manure allows a full routine/cycle of micro-bacterial breakdown/buildup and chemical reactions to take place. Although a great variety of mixtures will in fact compost, it is important to have the right proportions of ingredients, including (but certainly not limited to) a proper ratio of carbon-to-nitrogen (protein) and water-to-air. To attain the most beneficial proportions of starting ingredients, one will most often add components to the heap of manure (these are referred to in TMC as "supplements")

The proper proportions will compost to the most beneficial (desirable) substrate, creating a maximum efficient level of; nutrients, bacteria, chemical levels and consistency.

The more "proper" the composting, the better the grow (i.e, faster colonization, higher contamination resistance, healthier flushes, and higher yields).

Fresh manure (which in a healthy horse [depending on it's feed] consists of an approximate ratio of %10 poo to %90 straw) can simply be leeched to produce a healthy substrate. It will consist of and retain beneficial bacteria, a wide source of nutrients, and an encouraging growth medium (consistency).

Having said that, I conclude that any grower that is proficient in producing fruits from leeched or aged horse manure, should be encouraged to investigate the benefits of a healthy composting of manure/straw with added supplements.

Let it be noted that I realize aged manure does not require synthetic leaching.

Also, aged (manure leached through the natural process of rain, water runoff and evaporation) can indeed be used as a compost ingredient, however it is more appropriate as a supplement instead of a base component.
=================================================================

Well that was more for my sake than anyone else. I would appreciate a critical analysis of my thought processes. I am looking forward to reading any comment or suggestion.

I am in the process of leaching and drying an insane amount of fresh manure. As I was going through the motions, I regarded the possibilities of a healthier substrate than that of leached manure.

Point to consider:

Is the extra work, attention, ingredients *possible purchase of materials not available for scavenging* and time WORTH the possible payoff? If you have experience with composting, perhaps you could provide some insight here?

Thanks for your time. You might need a 'doober and a walk to loosen your butt cheeks from sitting so through that.

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSilly_Cyben
not-quite-newbie

Loc: USA
Re: Thoughts on horse manure and the benefits of composting poo. [Re: ADoobie]
    #4592098 - 08/28/05 09:19 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I collect fresh horse manure and dry it in the sun. In my climate it takes about 24 hours. I pasteurize this dried poo without any other preparation, and I've had many successful grows with it. I suggest keeping things simple whenever possible. There are plenty of processes in growing that require attention to detail, but using poo doesn't have to be complicated or take weeks or months to prepare. Think "cured" rather than composted with poo, and it's as simple as drying it out thoroughly.

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: Thoughts on horse manure and the benefits of composting poo. [Re: Silly_Cyben]
    #4592208 - 08/28/05 09:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Comment noted. I see what you are saying, but I think you might have missed the course of my discussion.

I am not trying to figure out how to fruit with poo. That I already know. Read back and notice the line :

"Having said that, I conclude that <b>any grower that is proficient in producing fruits from leeched or aged horse manure</b>, should be encouraged to investigate the benefits of a healthy composting of manure/straw with added supplements."

If one is struggling to produce good fruits, you have provided excellent advice: go simple and don't worry about those kind of gains.

In other words;

I am thinking many steps ahead of you. Amd my question for more experience growers is, what kinds of gains might one see, which is pondered in detail in the original post.

Peace 'Doobers

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4592426 - 08/28/05 10:40 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ADOOBIE READ THIS: It might give you a little insight.

--------------------

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: Thoughts on horse manure and the benefits of composting poo. [Re: agar]
    #4593432 - 08/29/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well shit thanks agar. That sure was bittersweet.

Really though, thank you. That does it for me.

*walks away feeling very, very small*

Peace

--------------------
ADoobie said:

OfflineNignugnot
Funkphiler
Loc: Northwest Ar
    #4593675 - 08/29/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I' new to actual growing but I've heard that increasing the nitrogen in your substrate will affect the fruits, the specifics I don't know... But when you speak of supplements I have heard also that using tryptamine will make monters flushes... have you heard this to be? I probably just got high one day and thought I saw that somewhere. Pace nig.

--------------------
I'm an asymtope, neva gonna catch me!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation