Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: GabbaDj]
    #4852875 - 10/25/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

So this is some of my brew equipment. I have 3 more soda kegs that are full of beer and are in a cooler. Also there's 2 more 6.5 gallon glass carboys that I'm cleaning at the moment. Also in the process of trying to get about 8 more soda kegs.

Here's some of my other equipment, including ingredients. I forgot to pull out the yeast, but I have about 8 vials in the fridge right now.

Here's some wine in secondary fermentation, its a pinot noir.

the black box is a chardonnay kit, and the rest of the containers are 6 gallons of Belgian Strong Golden(8.22% ABV), 5 gallons of Belgian Wit(4.75% ABV), 5 gallons of hard apple cider(13.7% ABV)(it was also manually pressed and crushed by hand), and 3 gallons of Taiwan wildflower and logan mead(10.6% ABV). All in secondary fermentation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: daussaulit]
    #4853604 - 10/26/05 03:24 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Reading this reminds me of my only attempt to make alcohol. Me and my roomate took water, sugar, and yeast, and put it in a big container. We let it ferment for about two weeks, and smelled it. It smelled quite alcoholic, but we never actually tried any.
Im a pretty big beer fan, me and my friends this friday are getting a keg of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale which should be quite delicious.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: TheCow]
    #4853669 - 10/26/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

next step up
www.homedistiller.org

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #4857248 - 10/26/05 10:56 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Your in Lubbock right?    I have a connection for keg supplys at Mr G's in Plano if you can get out that way.

Anyway..  I have all the stuff for the Belgian Stron Ale..    Ive had it for tooo long now so I MUST brew tomorrow...

Whats the longest youve ketp your crushed grains before useing them?  And my recipe notes dont tell me when to throw in the rock candy....  Id assume at the same time as the Alex Pale Syrup but I duno...

Im thinking of disolveing it in a sauce pan before adding it but again, I duno?  :crazy:

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (10/26/05 10:57 PM)

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4858089 - 10/27/05 02:29 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

nice collection would love to see the rest of it. i am assuming those corboys are plastic?

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #4858321 - 10/27/05 06:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Your in Lubbock right? I have a connection for keg supplys at Mr G's in Plano if you can get out that way.

Like those pre-mix cannisters(cornelious, firestone, challenger) that pepsi and coke used for soda?

Quote:

Whats the longest youve ketp your crushed grains before useing them?

I've kept it for a couple months, but that was only once. If they're in the bag, they'll last a little longer, but they will eventually go stale. Try to use it before one month has passed.

Quote:

And my recipe notes dont tell me when to throw in the rock candy.... Id assume at the same time as the Alex Pale Syrup but I duno...

Well, I'm assuming you can't do full wort boils(ie, if you making a 5 gallon batch, you can't boil 5+ gallons plus all at once). You could add it all in the beginning, but it will affect your hop utilization. So the higher the starting gravity, the less bitterness and flavor you will be able to get out of the hops. What you could do is just add half the extract after you steep the grains. Then when there's like 15 minutes left in the boil, put in the rest of the extract and sugar. If you keep your extract hot, like in a hot water bath, you can add it when you kill the flame. As long as the extract is completely dissolved and the temperature is over 165 after its mixed in, your fine, there's no need to boil it.

Quote:

spudamore said:
nice collection would love to see the rest of it. i am assuming those corboys are plastic?

Yeah, they're made from PET. www.better-bottle.com. These are specifically designed as fermentation vessels. Those blue water cooler jugs will not work, and cause the beer to oxidize.

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #4860352 - 10/27/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Like those pre-mix cannisters(cornelious, firestone, challenger) that pepsi and coke used for soda?

Those or regular kegs... Ever been to Plano or Mr G's? The place is better than most beer and wine stores, they got just about everything you can think of... I used to work their when I lived in Plano and my old roomate is the manager. They throw away keg stuff all the time and theirs a room full with old kegs, taps, co2 canisters and crap.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #4861565 - 10/27/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah i love that site pretty cool go check out the forums, unreal

well anyways here is some of my equipment its pretty dirty and messy haven't had much time to sort through and clean up my brew room and equipment.

enjoy

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: spudamore]
    #4869604 - 10/30/05 04:57 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

wow, this thread actually picked up some interest....

That skunky smell & flavor in some beers is the "finishing hops", hops added at the very end, that don't get cooked all that much, so there is still a nice aroma, some types of hops are more desired for this because of their aroma quailtys, i have not brewed beer in prolly 5 years so the names of these desired finishing hops evade my memory at the moment.

I have also heard the term "skunked", used when a heiniken is bitter & skunky, and undesired as a result of this. This happenes as a result of the heiniken experienceing tempeture changes, like when it was in the cooler, and then the next day you pour off the warm water & throw more ice in & the beer gets cold again, just like wine, you can not do this to heiniken, but i have noticed that cheap beer is not effected by this.

--------------------

OfflineShroomfinch
A Little Bird

Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: A3eyedfish]
    #10210864 - 04/21/09 10:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like people have some nice setups...I've been brewing for around a year, made some nice dark stout about a month ago. Besides beer, has anyone ever made mead? It's very easy and tasty

--------------------
All posts from this account are in reference to my good friend who is too lazy to join the site, and I would never personally cultivate illegal mushrooms.

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: Shroomfinch]
    #10258834 - 04/29/09 09:26 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Skunked beer is spoiled. No doubt about it.

Someone mentioned above that skunking is isomerized hops.
They are dead on. Generally exposure to light will cause this.

Clear and green bottles provide little or no protection for beer.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Offlinemoe.ron
Coral Reefer

Loc: Edge City
Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: Heffy]
    #10262663 - 04/30/09 01:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This Saturday May 2nd is National Homebrewers Day. There is a nation wide Big Brew going on around the country.

http://www.beertown.org/events/bigbrew/

This is your opportunity to learn about the hobby by participating with others. There is a list of club and store sponsored events happening all over the place. Ill be at my Local Homebrew Shop brewing and tasting. Check out an event near you!

--------------------
Boy Man God Shit...

OfflineLucienne
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: Shroomfinch]
    #10353679 - 05/17/09 02:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have been making mead. I started with a few one gallon batches and Ive now got two 3 gallon batches going as well as 3 one gallon batches. I love the way that you can play with the mead while it is brewing, something I never did while brewing beer. I have one gallon of mead that I have been adding spices and honey to for about 5 months now. It is starting to come together real nice! I still brew beer, but not as much as mead now.

OfflinePoppinCaps
The Man
Male

Re: Home Brewing Beer Thread [Re: spudamore]
    #10364708 - 05/19/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I really need to get a kit, I've always thought it would be awesome to get a homebrew going.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates