Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineslipperyPete
entity
Loc: somewhere
2 Liter Bottle Terrarium
    #4590616 - 08/28/05 01:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everybody, my friend has a couple questions about using a 2 Liter bottle for a terrarium. He is planning to cut a 2 Liter bottle in half and then stick the top part into the bottom to seal it up. He was also going to put some duct tape around this seal. On the bottom he plans on placing a damp paper towel and then setting the cake on a jar lid on this towel.

For air exchange, should he just open the little cap on top of the bottle, or take the entire top half off? Will about 5 times a day be enough for adequate fresh air? Do you need air exchange before pins start to show or only after? Any help is greatly appreciated unless you plan on telling my friend to use a different terrarium, this is only a side project cake. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
read everything

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: 2 Liter Bottle Terrarium [Re: slipperyPete]
    #4590634 - 08/28/05 01:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Actually, I have kinda messed around with this idea a few times before. I built both a 2L and 3L terrarium. I think IMO that the 2L looks a bit small to work, but the 3L one looked great.

With both, here is what I did. First thing I learned is to make a line on the bottle where you are going to cut. The first one I did not do this to and man was my cut all over the place. Next it fit pretty well in the bottom part with a little maneuvering, and actually made a nice seal without any tape. Adding some certainly won't do any harm, though. If you do add tape, you pretty much are insuring that the only way to fan is by taking off the top cap though.

Now, first I tested out the 2L by placing a damp paper towl in the bottom, threw my hygrometer in there, and then waited. After a nice amount of time, the RH easily raised to 93%+ or so. I would think that using perlite may be a good idea though, as this could provide a level serface on the bottom where many bottles have a kinda awkward area. The 3L bottle had no real humidity issues either.

For fanning, I would take apart the entire thing if you can do it easily. If you can't do that easily, though, just taking off the cap and fanning VERY heavily should be able to get the job done. Fanning should be done throughout most of the process, and I think 3-4 times a day is plenty, but of course it can't hurt to do more. If you can find a way to keep the RH up high enough, you could even poke very small holes in the side near the bottom to help let CO2 out. I think that is a very helpful idea if you are planning on fanning just through the cap. Doing some misting after the fanning process (especially if you took the whole thing apart) can help reduce the time it takes to get back up to a good RH, just be careful to not put the nozzle right up in the hole and spray the crap outta the cake.

Ive been talking to people while making this post, so it may seem a bit jumpy, and I may have missed a bit. I'll go back over it later.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: 2 Liter Bottle Terrarium [Re: Ramuh]
    #4590709 - 08/28/05 01:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have a 2 liter going right now. I have perlite in the bottom, and also have 5 holes in the bottom. Since the gas byproduct is heavier than oxygen, I just squeeze it out if that makes any sense. I just "pump" the sides in and out for about a minute. For cakes though, I highly recommend a 3 liter. You dont want your mushies to touch the moisture that runs down the indide of the bottle.And also, you dont really need any tape.

OfflineslipperyPete
entity
Loc: somewhere
Re: 2 Liter Bottle Terrarium [Re: FungusMan]
    #4592148 - 08/28/05 09:36 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

How about this set-up, a CD-R case (50 spindle) with moist paper towel in the bottom (perlite would be better, but this is just a theoretical experiment) and then a gallon ziplock with the bottom cut off and rubberbanded to the cd case. Opening the ziplock would be easy to provide fresh air. Would this work?

--------------------
read everything

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation