Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineoniq
another brick in the wall
Sterilization
    #4583762 - 08/26/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

When sterlizing, do the jars already have the punctured holes in the lids?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerachsrib
To fly you mustjump and forgetto hit theground

Re: Sterilization [Re: oniq]
    #4583772 - 08/26/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i reuse my jars so it already has hole, if you do not have holes the jar will not be able to release pressure. i think it is a good idea to do the holes first, if not just make sure the lid is not on really tightso are can get out

--------------------
"My father once said: If your afraid to die, make yourself hard to kill."

Offlineoniq
Re: Sterilization [Re: rachsrib]
    #4583779 - 08/26/05 11:51 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the response, I figured the holes should be there so I can sterlize correctly.

Offlineoniq
    #4584953 - 08/26/05 06:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Another question... I set up my jars today, and was gonna PC them but found out my spores aren't going out till Monday (week after I ordered them!! >:|). Should I just start new jars, PC them and then cover them up, or what?

Also, what do people recommend for vendors for spores?

Edited by oniq (08/26/05 06:26 PM)

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4584971 - 08/26/05 06:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

if you have them ready and packed just waite to pc them when you get your spores.

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Offlineoniq
Re: Sterilization [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4584994 - 08/26/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Do contaminations only occur when I inject the spores? Or could they happen prior (like now, when I'm waiting)?

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4585012 - 08/26/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

when you pc them that will kill the cotam's your spore syringe will be sterilized you want to flame your needle in between jars or use an alcohol wipe. do that you should be fine.

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

InvisibleThumpaCap
Beer Taster

Loc: Shroomwhere Out There
Re: Sterilization [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4585101 - 08/26/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

make sure your alcohol wipe is sterile from the package or you may introduce contams....  i never wipe or flame mine unless i touch something that hasnt been sterilized.. like my hand or the jar lid where it hasnt been taped...

:bongload:

--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilization [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4585554 - 08/26/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:
When sterlizing, do the jars already have the punctured holes in the lids?

punch the holes first, if you dont the jars could explode during sterilization,
if they dont they will draw a vacuum and once cooled they will pull in
contaminated air

Quote:

kingfish4200 said:
if you have them ready and packed just waite to pc them when you get your spores.

a weekend is enough time to have green mold start showing, it's best to
sterilize them within a day, sterile jars can sit for a couple weeks with no
worries

Quote:

oniq said:
Do contaminations only occur when I inject the spores? Or could they happen prior (like now, when I'm waiting)?

they can happen at both times, it depends on if you sterilized properly or if you didnt flame and wipe the needle

Quote:

ThumpaCap said:
make sure your alcohol wipe is sterile from the package or you may introduce contams.... i never wipe or flame mine unless i touch something that hasnt been sterilized.. like my hand or the jar lid where it hasnt been taped...

alcohol kills contams, the wipe is sterile unless the alcohol has evaporated off
I wipe mine between jars because the jar tops are exposed to air, this allows
for contam time, it doesnt take much to loose a few jars

Offlineoniq
Re: Sterilization [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4588110 - 08/27/05 05:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, well I left the jars in a dark drawer, went to go PC them today, and they STUNK! Decided to start new jars. Now I'm PCing them right after I made the jars.

Should I cover up the holes while I wait for the spores to come? I've seen people use bandaids, probably the best bet seeing as they're sterile. Good choice?

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4588130 - 08/27/05 05:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wait, you pced them w/out covering the holes? maybe you are using foil?

what I ususally have is the jar lid, the holes taped over with a type of 3m tape, and then I PC. I know some people just cover the lid with foil...i guess you need to be more specific of how your jars are setup this time through.

your best bet is to always make the jars after you already have the spores...this keeps them from having to sit for long periods.

Since you are already PCing them, keep them in the PC until you get your syringe...do not open the PC cover. The air in the PC is sterile and will help, but next time wait until you have the spores b4 starting work.

Offlineoniq
Re: Sterilization [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4588157 - 08/27/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OK.. so you AREN'T supposed to have holes in the jars?!

Edit: when sterilizing.

I thought they'd explode if there were no holes?

Edited by oniq (08/27/05 05:34 PM)

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4588220 - 08/27/05 05:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yes, you do have holes in the jars while sterilizing, but you don't want to sterilize jars without the holes being covered. If water gets in there, it will mess up your substrate.

the least you should do is cover the lid with foil to protect it from water getting in.

this is really confusing....so i'm just gonig to tell you the way I do it:

1. punch holes in lid
2. fill jar with substrate.
3. Put lid on the jars
4. Tape holes on the lid.
5. pc for 45 min.

if you are doing anything other than that, you need to explain. there are different ways you could do it, but you just said you have holes in your lid and are pcing. If that is the case, water is going to get in the jars.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4588232 - 08/27/05 06:02 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:
Ok, well I left the jars in a dark drawer, went to go PC them today, and they STUNK! Decided to start new jars. Now I'm PCing them right after I made the jars.

as I was saying, always wait until the spores arrive to start mixing up substrate
or sterilize the jars immediately and refridgerate, covered with foil of course

Quote:

Should I cover up the holes while I wait for the spores to come? I've seen people use bandaids, probably the best bet seeing as they're sterile. Good choice?

should have done that befoe sterilization... of well, maybe they;ll be OK
if they look wet in the jars, you may want to start over

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4588237 - 08/27/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

oniq said:
OK.. so you AREN'T supposed to have holes in the jars?!

Edit: when sterilizing.

I thought they'd explode if there were no holes?

you are but they're suppose to be covered by tape or foil

Offlineoniq
    #4588254 - 08/27/05 06:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Damn. Another mistake. ;( I read the PF Tek for Simple Minds and I guess it wasn't clear enough. I'll check the jars in a few, if not, I can start over. Got lots left.

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4588267 - 08/27/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well PF for simple minds uses foil only lids...and it is pretty specific, with some nice pics.

need to do a little more research before trying this.

with simple minds, the holes are made into the foil when you are injecting. You don't have to worry about the jars blowing up with foil lids because they allow air to escape, so it isn't necessary to put the holes in b4 hand.

read read read read read read read read read read read read...grow.

http://www.fungifun.org/pf/pf_en.htm

OfflineRoughRice
Spicy Tuna Roll
Loc: Delta, USA
Re: Sterilization [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4588303 - 08/27/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My grand parents did a lot of canning. If there are no holes, the air/steam expands in the jar. When the container cools, the sealed air contracts back to its normal size, creating a vacuum. If a pressure cooker is used, the pressure differential is even greater. The glass cannot handle this excessive pressure and breaks. Even if the rings are loose, the lid is a check valve, and operates one way: to expel gas and not allow gas to enter. Even the foil (used to shield water) could act as a check valves against the holes, if placed too close.

My question is what is the reasoning behind the seal being positioned away from the jar's orifice? If there are holes in the lid, should it matter?

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sterilization [Re: RoughRice]
    #4588350 - 08/27/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well, you are not canning when doing these jars, just sterilizing for 45min....the loosly fit lid with taped holes will let enough air out so they don't break...the foil allows even more out. Trust me, they won't break.

The reason people put the lid on with the seal facing up is to prevent it from sticking to the "oriffice" and being a bitch to take off when ready to birth by creating a vaccume.

I personally don't do it that way, I leave it with the seal facing down and never had any problems....the vaccume is gone after you remove the tape on the holes anyway.

Offlineoniq
    #4588423 - 08/27/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

From PF Tek for Simple Minds:
"If you're using jars with metal lids, you can poke 4 holes at the very edge of each lid with a small nail and hammer and screw the lid on. The holes should be slightly bigger than the diameter of the syringe needle."

Right before the sterilization part. So I figured that I left them with holes, ignoring the next steps pertaining to the foil lids.

I looked at the jars after I was done with the PCing and they look fine, no excess water inside. I guess this will be an experiment of experiments :>

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds