Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineazurescens
Overlay on sides but good growth in middle....
    #4587387 - 08/27/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What do you do in this situation?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overlay on sides but good growth in middle.... [Re: azurescens]
    #4587454 - 08/27/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know of any remedy except for patching. To prevent it though, you can work on applying a casing layer as evenly as possible, to an equally even substrate. I don't incubate casings much over 24 hours, and never have overlay issues.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Overlay on sides but good growth in middle.... [Re: Holydiver]
    #4587495 - 08/27/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you can also spray the surface directly and firmly with water before you add more casing this helps beat the mycelium back down, also look at the scratching teks...

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Overlay on sides but good growth in middle.... [Re: djsage420]
    #4587815 - 08/27/05 03:35 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

If your like most, you dump your poo, spawn, and casing layer in the center, then spread it out to the edges. If you keep everything equal fluffiness around, that helps, especially the casing layer. Instead of dumping and spreading, I sprinkle evenly all over now..that helped even though its a little slower.. Other then that, patching, or even with a gloved hand, moving the casing mix out from the middle, to the sides instead of patching (basically patching, but with the areas of thicker casing).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleShaw

Re: Overlay on sides but good growth in middle.... [Re: azurescens]
    #4587861 - 08/27/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

alot of times water will collect on the sides of rhe container and run down to the sides. Seems like this may encourage the mycelia to climb up the sides. It is also possible that there is a temperature difference from the center to the edges. On larger casings the center will heat up a little and grow a little thicker. I'm not sure if any of this might apply to your situation, but it's there to ponder if it does.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate