Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Drying questions
    #4586104 - 08/27/05 12:08 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Can I buy desiccant in a store? If not is there anything I can do with $20 to aid in drying or will they be ok just using the oven tek?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Drying questions [Re: Newbie]
    #4586114 - 08/27/05 12:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yes you can buy desiccant in alot of stores here in the USA. it ges by the name of damp rid or dry rite. i got mine at wall mart but, lowes, home depot, k-mart and places like that will have it too. if you still cant find it there you can get it on ebay

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineMrKrinkle
Stranger

Re: Drying questions [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4586124 - 08/27/05 12:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

im new to this, but is it absolutly necisary to dry them?

i mean what if im just going to go from picking them, to eating them?

--------------------
"the air is gettng slippery..."

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Drying questions [Re: MrKrinkle]
    #4586140 - 08/27/05 12:23 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

then no...but most likely thay cam more then you can eat..lol unless you want to be fucked up all the time and you have to eat more fresh to get the same buzz you would dry the say to double the weight in fresh shrooms..also when you trip once you body builds a tolerance to psilocybin and you would have to take double that to get the same trip as last time so i really think you need to dry some to save for down the road you dont need to use dry rite to do it but you need to do something to them just pic out a drying tek and go with it

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4586158 - 08/27/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

when i said your body builds a tollarance i mean if you trip one day and turn around and trip the next day it biulds like that, but if u rest in between trips for say a week or 2 you can take the same amount of shrooms and still trip about the same as you did last time

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4586159 - 08/27/05 12:33 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MrKrinkle said:
im new to this, but is it absolutly necisary to dry them?
i mean what if im just going to go from picking them, to eating them?

unless you are going to eat them fresh, it's easiest to dry them for long term storage, eating them fresh usualy has a little extra oomph because the psilocin hasnt oxydized.

Quote:

kingfish4200 said:
you have to eat more fresh to get the same buzz you would dry the say to double the weight in fresh shrooms..

actualy, it's about 10 times more by weight with fresh mushrooms because they are 90% water

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Drying questions [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4586511 - 08/27/05 02:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How much potency loss is associated with drying mushrooms in an oven at 140??

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4586517 - 08/27/05 02:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I dont know, I do know that it;ll take several hours to do so, it's cheaper and almost as effective to fan dry them

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4586526 - 08/27/05 02:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Would I need to fan dry them before placng them into a desiccant chamber? I don't really have a suitable way of setting them up in font of a fan so I'd have to go straight to that.

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4586532 - 08/27/05 02:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

no.. fan drying is just laying them out on a screen in a single l;ayer than letting the fan dry them out no need to then place them in a desiccant chamber because thay would already be dry

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4586538 - 08/27/05 02:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

So are they interchangeable then?

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4586545 - 08/27/05 02:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you only need one way to dry. why would you want to interchange them? ooh by the way you know thay are all the way dry when thay are about cracker crisp

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4586593 - 08/27/05 03:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:
Would I need to fan dry them before placng them into a desiccant chamber?

yes, they would still have around the same moisture content as the RH of the room,
after fan drying you'd want to use a disiccant to remove the remaining moisture
if you didnt, there is a chance of them molding, it would be a shame...

placing them in a disiccant chamber when they are fresh will waterlog the disiccant, and theres a possibility that the mushies will rot before they are dry enough, disiccants cant absorb the moisture fast enough

I've also had luck with simply air drying them when I split them down the middle

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4586607 - 08/27/05 03:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I suppose I could buy a new fan for under $30...what kind do you recommend? A little box-fan that I could maybe position on top of the mushrooms maybe? I dunno, how exactly should the setup be to ensure proper and even drying?

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

#4586612 - 08/27/05 03:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
yes, they would still have around the same moisture content as the RH of the room,
if you didnt, there is a chance of them molding, it would be a shame...

placing them in a disiccant chamber when they are fresh will waterlog the disiccant, and theres a possibility that the mushies will rot before they are dry enough, disiccants cant absorb the moisture fast enough

I've also had luck with simply air drying them when I split them down the middle

i didn't know that. why even use a fan if your just going to use a disiccant chamber anyway? cause i know i have dried plenty of fresh shrooms in a disiccant chamber and allways been fine. I did have to dump the water out after a few days because it would buld up alot, but as long as you have a screen with a rag and the disiccant on the rag then its fine the water builds up below the disiccant so before it touces you just dump.

--------------------

-- Ken Kesey

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4586615 - 08/27/05 03:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

a box fan is perfect, check thrift stores first, use the extra cash to buy some
furnace filters, you can sandwich the mushies in the filters and have the air from
the fan push through the face of the filters, it's like stacking trays on a
dehydrator, this is assuming you had a large crop, if not just lay thme out on
news paper and set the fan to low or medium and have it blow across the top for
them, flip them a few times and they;ll be close enough to dry to use the disiccant

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4586621 - 08/27/05 03:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Cool I'll look around.  I'd hate for my first ever flush to go to waste :frown:.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#4586630 - 08/27/05 03:27 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I found a box fan at kmart. When I pick the shrooms should I just put them in between 2 furnace filters and lay the ran down on top of them? Is that safe to do (fire-wise)?

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4586636 - 08/27/05 03:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kingfish4200 said:
why even use a fan if your just going to use a disiccant chamber anyway? cause i know i have dried plenty of fresh shrooms in a disiccant chamber and allways been fine.

they would still have around the same moisture content as the RH of the room,
if you didnt, there is a chance of them molding, with disiccant alone, no fan drying theres an very serious chance of them rotting.

Quote:

I did have to dump the water out after a few days because it would buld up alot, but as long as you have a screen with a rag and the disiccant on the rag then its fine the water builds up below the disiccant so before it touces you just dump.

the purpose of disicants is to pull moisture from the air, in this case it's in
a sealed container, the mushies will release more moisture when the air is dry,
the moisture is looking for a point of balance, one where the RH in the
container is the same as n the mushrooms, as the disicant absorbs the moisture
in the air, the mushies release more, after a while, the disiccant becomes
saturated and cannot absorb any more. putting fresh mushrooms in will overload
it to quickly preventing it from absorbing more, hese the water buildup

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4586638 - 08/27/05 03:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:
Ok I found a box fan at kmart. When I pick the shrooms should I just put them in between 2 furnace filters and lay the ran down on top of them? Is that safe to do (fire-wise)?

if you can stand the fan and have it blow through that way then you;ll be better
off, laying it down will reduce it's ability to work.... while your there at
k-mart, look for damprid or another disiccant, usualy it's neat the closet stuff
like hangers and mothballs

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies