Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon
    #4580133 - 08/25/05 03:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: Phred]
    #4582277 - 08/25/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent read.

Thank you.

I don't see how when in situations like he was that anyone, reporter or otherwise, could avoid doing what he did. Self preservation to me is not only limited to your own body, but the natural instinct to protect your "sphere" - you and yours. His reaction is what I would expect any sane person to do.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4583154 - 08/26/05 06:32 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wow... very nice read.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: Seuss]
    #4583223 - 08/26/05 07:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fantastic. Those guys are fucking heros.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#4583351 - 08/26/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've only recently discovered Michael Yon's website. It is excellent. Let me repeat -- EXCELLENT.

He is one of the very few embedded reporters left in Iraq these days, and to the best of my knowledge the only one filing regular reports (or any reports at all, it seems).

I've spent some time in the last week reading through his archived reports and it makes for fascinating reading. Not even close to the standard MSM litany of bare-bones numbers of how many got killed due to this car bomb or that rocket attack. He recently posted a three part series on how the unit he is travelling with handles IEDs (improvised explosive devices). That too was a riveting read.

Note in this latest report the observation that one of the bad guys involved in this attack had already been captured, then later released against the protests of the military (both coalition AND Iraqi). Why this guy wasn't sent to Gitmo escapes me. An awful lot of coalition troops are pretty upset with the whole "catch and release" bullshit. So are an awful lot of Iraqis.

Anyway, if you found this latest report of interest, I very strongly recommend cruising through his archived reports when you have some time. Not every report is as long as this one, but they are all good. Great reading, I promise you. I am way impressed with this guy. If he ever publishes a book about his experiences as an embedded reporter, I will buy it for sure.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4583380 - 08/26/05 09:25 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, all I can say is that I glued my face to the screen reading that.

The picture of the bullet dust near the head of the 2nd Lt is a picture he needs to frame and kiss every morning.

Michael Yon was former SF wasn't he? If so, that would make me feel better about having him along during patrols.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: looner2]
    #4583490 - 08/26/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

> Wow, all I can say is that I glued my face to the screen reading that.

Same here. Very impressive and honest look at what is happening regardless of how one feels about the war. This is the first time I have ever donated money to somebody authoring for the news media. For all of those that haven't bothered following the link, it is well worth the time.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #4584523 - 08/26/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

that guy stinks , so does the war, too bad he didnt get shot

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #4584691 - 08/26/05 04:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How tolerant of you.

It's uplifting to see you wish for the death (or near death) of those who don't agree with you.

Do you dream of being a dictator so you can control who deserves to live or not because of a dissenting opinion?

I wonder why it is I heard no one hoping that your tumor killed you (or at least necessitated your disembowling so you got to live with a bag of shit for the rest of your life)?

Remind me again which side it is that values freedom?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #4584912 - 08/26/05 06:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

man u righties cant take a joke..ha

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#4584992 - 08/26/05 06:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I had just spent the previous two hours reading this guy's other entries. Did you even bother to read the first one?

After virtually reliving his accounts of the deaths of the soldiers he rode with, the situations they and the Iraqi people faced, it isn't something I thought anyone would joke about. Not to mention the realization that disparity of what's being reported around the world about Iraq and what's actually happening is far more egregious than I previously fathomed. His writings are some of, if not the most compelling I've ever read.

Nothing in what you wrote came across as a joke.

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4584996 - 08/26/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The Kiowa swooped and banked hard in front of the car, firing three more shots through the front hood, the universal sign for "stop."

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: Grav]
    #4585124 - 08/26/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

awesome article

reading about real personalities over there in the fight is very moving

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #4585201 - 08/26/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

Wow, not cool.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

#4585203 - 08/26/05 07:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

man u righties cant take a joke..ha

Why would it be a joke? First off it wasn't funny in the slightest, and I pity you if your wit is saying the trashiest thing possible that is devoid of all class. Second of all, your constant derision towards the military, symbolized by your clever sig fully seals the deal that you are seriously lacking in mental stability or have a chip on your shoulder towards those who are doing things you know you aren't capable of.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4585680 - 08/26/05 10:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:

That is not funny at all.

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: looner2]
    #4586406 - 08/27/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

haha why arent you in the military them looner? i mean you talk like such a hard ass...i know u are young, so why not suit up and put your money where your mouth is.

i think if anything all those articles show how fucking pointless the war is...did u read the end about that 19yr old getting shot?? for nothing?? for a non-cause, for oil?? the iraq war has not and will not accomplish anything....peole my age are dying..

that doesnt matter though...save your lectures...how many people called cindy sheehand a "worthless cunt, whore, etc" wished her dead in all those threads....funny i said that to get a rise, and i did. typical

OfflineMagicalMystery
turn off yourmind

Loc: Here, there and everywher...
    #4586464 - 08/27/05 02:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You act like someone with an infantile mentality. "haha, I got a rise out of you!" by wishing that Americans would get shot? What a pathetic coward. It's not your ignorant viewpoints I disagree with, it's how you can't defend them and in lieu of a real stance, you just go for emotional one-liner posts.

--------------------

"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest."
From the Declaration of the Continental Congress

"We can have peace and security only as long as we band together to preserve that most priceless possession, our inheritance of European blood."
Charles A. Lindbergh,"Aviation, Geography, and Race", Reader's Digest, Nov. 1939

"We must secure the existance of our people and a future for White children."
David Lane

InvisibleLazlow
Sorcerer's Apprentice

#4586696 - 08/27/05 05:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Wow... why have I not known about this website until now?  It's such a breath of fresh air to read something about the war written by someone experiencing it first hand.  Not that I don't admire the journalists who're in Iraq reporting from atop a hotel in the green zone, but this guy is in a different league.

Thanks again for the recommend.  I've already shown it to a few friends who've had the same reaction.  :thumbup:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Reporter breaks the rules, fires weapon [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #4586703 - 08/27/05 05:30 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hagbard Celine writes:

Quote:

I had just spent the previous two hours reading this guy's other entries. Did you even bother to read the first one?

After virtually reliving his accounts of the deaths of the soldiers he rode with, the situations they and the Iraqi people faced, it isn't something I thought anyone would joke about. Not to mention the realization that disparity of what's being reported around the world about Iraq and what's actually happening is far more egregious than I previously fathomed. His writings are some of, if not the most compelling I've ever read.

Agreed. Michael Yon is a superb writer. He was being mentioned more and more frequently on some of the other sites I visit daily so I thought I'd check him out, and I'm very glad I did. It's definitely worth cruising his archives to read it all. I can't wait for his next dispatch.

As for the disparity between what the MSM covers and what is actually happening, I was far less surprised than you because by the time I discovered Yon's website I had been reading other milblogs (and Arthut Chrenkoff's bi-weekly roundups of under-reported news from Afghanistan and Iraq) for a couple of years now. The difference between what is actually occurring and the tiny fraction of events the MSM deigns to publish is staggering. There is no question whatsoever that this... ummm, let me try to choose as tactful a word as possible here... under-reporting... is deliberate. The press is not doing their job.

I'm glad to see some of you have checked out Yon's work. To those who haven't yet done so, I can't recommend strongly enough that you do. You'd be doing yourself a great disservice by skipping him. Seriously.

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale