Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekiss_the_sky03
human being
 User Gallery

Loc: where I want
first timer?
    #4583968 - 08/26/05 02:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

hello everyone, this is my first post in the cultivation section, i usally post in the hunting forum, so im planning my first grow(as soon as i get enough money to buy the syringe, and other equipment) i was wondering how many jars would i need to prepare if i had only one syringe? and if anyone has an opinion on what strain i should start with? im probablly going to go with a cubensis strain(but which one?)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: first timer? [Re: kiss_the_sky03]
    #4584029 - 08/26/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What stain is up to you, im currently doing PF Classic and am satisfied with what im getting, a popular one is Golden Teachers everyone seems to like it. A 10-12cc syringe will do about 12 jars, its hard to get exactly a 1/4cc per hole in the lid so it varies, i only got like 7 jars inoculated.

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: first timer? [Re: kiss_the_sky03]
    #4584046 - 08/26/05 03:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

If you only have one syringe, make a liquid culture with it.

Take a small tupperware cup and fill with water(95%) and corn syrup(5%), poke a hole in the lid and microwave for a bit. You need to watch it so it doesnt boil and make a mess, just keep the power low and turn it off when it gets too hot. Do this a couple minutes and then quickly open the microwave and place electrical tape over the hole.

Wait for it to cool and then flame sterilize needle, wipe with alcohol swab, shake, and inject a small amount into your cup, retape. Helps if you swab the taped injection site before injecting as well.

Keep in mind that you are making a pressure chamber with this cup in the microwave and water can flash boil and spray out of the hole in the top(good way to blind yourself), so be careful while doing this. There are other methods, this is just what works for me, you can do something similar with a 1/2 pint jar and a PC, use whatever works for you.

Offlineaustio_ferocious
Amateurmycologist

Loc: a place I call my cave.
Re: first timer? [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4584051 - 08/26/05 03:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Treasure coast is a very agressive strain and colonizes fairly quickly. Good things for us newb's :smile:

--------------------
ARAO corp. new non-profit org. seeking startup assistance to help disaster victims, homeless, and others in need. We are in need of; Volunteer assistance- CPA & Legal services. Donations- food, clothing, office supplies/electronics, land/structures (any where on the planet), cash for same, ect. PM me for details.
IF YOU DON'T DONATE HERE, PLEASE DO IT SOMEWHERE!!!

OfflineBoringNickName
Stranger
Re: first timer? [Re: BoringNickName]
    #4584053 - 08/26/05 03:21 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, forgot to mention that you need to let this sit in a warm spot for a couple weeks to allow the mycelium to grow in the liquid culture, once its nice and cloudy inside, give it a vigorous shake and suck the contents into a sterile syringe. Use this to inoculate your jars.

I reccomend making several liquid cultures, you never know if one will get contaminated, and you only need a miniscule amount of spores(the less the better) to get one started.

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: first timer? [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4584073 - 08/26/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

i like to do 1cc a jar. if you get a 10cc syringe...well thats 10 jars. i will be going with koh sumi on the shrooms. Because i heard nothing but good things about it, like: high yielding, contaminate resistant, & potent. Although some people say they notice nothing to much different out of these shrooms then any other strain.

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: first timer? [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4584306 - 08/26/05 04:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Definatly look up doing liquid cultures, and WBS or Rye. Use 2 cc in your liquid culture. Use the other 8cc's, 1 cc per jar. That will give you 8 quarts of colonized seed and a liquid culture in 9-20 days. Now at that point, you can stick the liquid culture in the fridge, or leave it incubating if its not a thick thick cloud yet. Of the 8 jars, you take 1 and stick it in the fridge, then split 1 into 12 new quarts that you sterilized the night before. Thats called G2G (grain to grain) transfers, you break it up with a spoon in a sterile environment, and put 2 or 3 spoonfuls into each quart. Look up procedures on how to do this properly.

That leaves 6, which you can spawn to horse poo, or case (I suggest the poo). In 7-9 days of doing the G2G transfers, that dozen will be colonized. You could take 1 of the 12 and use it for G2G again, for another 12, but this is 3rd generation, and you CANT (shouldnt) do it anymore, and now you need to go back to your liquid culture, suck it all up into syringes..then use them on jars as needed 1-2cc's per jar (a LC would be around 200-600cc's, more or less). You dont need to carry G2G transfers, or even mess with them..you can just use the liquid culture, it obviously could create plenty of jars for most people. And you could stretch that syringe even further, if you really tried and incorporated all methods.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation