Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find... Flag
shitty flush
    #4583161 - 08/26/05 08:39 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm guessing my humidity was and is too low but heres what I got. I had a nice even pin set, the whole casing was covered to the point of not being able to see much of the casing layer. After a week or so it seemed like it finally stopped pinning and was doing some growing. Now I'm going on week two and I only have 10-15 mushrooms that are not only almost full size but look like they will be 30g+ each. Now my problem is my beautiful pin set is turning out crappy, there are 100's of pins that haven't grown or aborted. The casing was four quarts of coffee soaked rye mixed with two quarts of 50/50 peat/verm(peat came ph balanced)and one quart of 50/50 for the casing layer. It was incubated at room temp(about 75-80)for a week, then patched with almost another whole quart of 50/50. By the end of the next week I started to see pins, and they took almost a week to stop pinning. The casing is about 2 1/2" thick inside of a sterlite container. I didn't use a tray for the casing, and theres no perlite in it. It gets fanned 5-10 times a day, and a nice misting like half of the time. From my misting there has been condensation on the sides and top the whole time, but with out it would have been dry on the sides. So, too low of humidity was what I was thinking. The casing has shrank a bit so I was thinking after this flush I should wrap the bottom with foil and add perlite to the bottom of the container. Or should I skip the foil, add the perlite, put the casing back in directly on top, and patch around the sides?

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSilkSteel
Nomad

Re: shitty flush [Re: luckytriple6]
    #4583219 - 08/26/05 09:56 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Did you put any ph buffer in there anyway? Although the peat was ph balanced, the mycelium produces acid as a waste product which will eventually lead to an acidic environment.. not suitable for full mushroom growth.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: shitty flush [Re: SilkSteel]
    #4583308 - 08/26/05 10:55 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

your not talking about putting perlite into your casing right.. just in your fruiting chamber.. you dont want perlite in your casing.. just incase thats what you were thinking..

some strains just have alot of aborts on the first flush, im no expert only have worked with 2 strains so far.. but from what ive read thats what ive gathered.. so you could just wait and see what the next round brings..
and if your casing is shrinking maybe you didnt have the corect moisture content to begin with. after your 1st flush has finished up take your caing and dunk it, fill it up with water and cover it with foil/syran wrap and put it in the fridge over night, put your hand on the foil to hold your casing in the container and dump out the extra water.. that might help..
and just becuase you have condensation on the sides of your tub dont mean you have good humidity, if your tubs warmer than the room its in it will get condensation on the walls.. so thats not a good way to judge.

well theres my 2 cents.. hope it helps.. l8r

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlineluckytriple6
spun, confused, and needing hugs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: lost in head... come find... Flag
Re: shitty flush [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4583511 - 08/26/05 12:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I wasn't talking about putting perlite in the casing, I was gonna wrap the casing with foil(finding a tray that would fit in the sterlite for the casing would be a pain in the ass) and put perlite under it. But what about just putting the casing on top of the perlite? I do plan on giving this casing a dunk once the flush is over. It just seems like the pins arn't doing anything, not turning dark like abouts do, not growing like the bigguns. I didn't put any buffer in the casing mix cause straight verm doesn't need it and it said the peat was ph balanced on the bag so I trusted it. I don't have any way of testing the ph cause I'm broke and can't buy a meter. Is there a way to lower the ph without breaking up the casing and adding in oyster shell or something of the like? Maybe something I could add to the dunk?

--------------------
Let me out of this place
I'm outta place
I'm in outer space
I've just vanished without a trace
I'm going to a pretty place now where the flowers grow
I'll be back in an hour or so

[quote]Abuse said:
the dea can go fuck themselves! with the internet, the impossible is possible![/quote]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation