Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: I have decided [Re: Help on the Way]
    #4585292 - 08/26/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

someone needs to take some culture, theology, philosophy and literature classes. Most religions acknowledge the fact that their literature has been "editorialized" by it's original author, whomever preserved the message and anyone who translated it. Read!!! This topic has been around as long as the religions have been. Whatever side you think is right, at least make a good argument one way or another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
Re: I have decided [Re: lowdominion]
    #4585299 - 08/26/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lowdominion said:
Once again you highlight your ignorance the big bang had nothing at all to do with the origin of life only the origin of the universe. It has been proven in the laboratory that the building blocks of life Amino Acids could have been created on the Earth around 2 billion years ago these amino acids came together to form proto-bacteria and then evolution kicks in. Have you heard of evolution? Is the theory 100% yet no but its still evolving....Even in its incomplete infancy these theories are infinitely better than the belief that some deity in the sky created us can you prove even one little bit of this using the scientific method if you can i would like to hear it?

amino acids were somehow spit out during the big bang??

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: I have decided [Re: Nashbar]
    #4585314 - 08/26/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
someone needs to take some culture, theology, philosophy and literature classes. Most religions acknowledge the fact that their literature has been "editorialized" by it's original author, whomever preserved the message and anyone who translated it. Read!!! This topic has been around as long as the religions have been. Whatever side you think is right, at least make a good argument one way or another.

I have taken all of those classes in college and none of them try to explain that the universe was created by a higher intelligence and you are wrong hardly any religions admit that their holy books are in any way wrong because to admit so would be to admit they can't come up with a rational explanation as to why you should follow the ridiculous dogmas...you are the one that should try reading and taking some classes

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585315 - 08/26/05 08:09 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

sure, you can see evolution in the royal monarchies around the world that lead to hemophilia or some birds beaks or drug resistant diseases or pesticide resistant crops. how does that prove amino acids went to me tripping out on another oxygen breathing species?

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #4585324 - 08/26/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
someone needs to take some culture, theology, philosophy and literature classes.  Most religions acknowledge the fact that their literature has been "editorialized" by it's original author, whomever preserved the message and anyone who translated it.  Read!!!  This topic has been around as long as the religions have been.  Whatever side you think is right, at least make a good argument one way or another.

That still doesnt mean that it isnt the word of man
I think i made a good argument.  XUL was the one who brought up that they were translated, i commented on the effects of that. We both agreed that they may have been changed. YOu on the other hand havent made much of an argument at all except that since jesse ventura looks crazy i should rethink my beliefs (which i am always willing to do, just not for such a reason)
:confused:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585325 - 08/26/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you obviously never took any ancient literature or hebrew or ancient near east literature that were taught without any theology. A history class could put some pieces together for you

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4585329 - 08/26/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
Quote:

lowdominion said:
Once again you highlight your ignorance the big bang had nothing at all to do with the origin of life only the origin of the universe. It has been proven in the laboratory that the building blocks of life Amino Acids could have been created on the Earth around 2 billion years ago these amino acids came together to form proto-bacteria and then evolution kicks in. Have you heard of evolution? Is the theory 100% yet no but its still evolving....Even in its incomplete infancy these theories are infinitely better than the belief that some deity in the sky created us can you prove even one little bit of this using the scientific method if you can i would like to hear it?

amino acids were somehow spit out during the big bang??

are you a complete moron obviously you did not read what i posted or you would have seen that i wrote that Amino acids could have been produced on Earth 2 billion years ago this has been proven in the labratory i never said anything about them coming from the big bang damn your illiterate

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: I have decided [Re: faslimy]
    #4585346 - 08/26/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

faslimy said:
none of the examples in that article are thorough or conclusive, it is basing its debunking on a few instances where someone with no actual evidence claimed we use 10% and everyone believed it.

both arguments that we use all of our brain and 10% of our brain are not convincing in the slightest

the full potential of the brain cannot be determined simply by a PE scan or a fMRI scan to measure which parts of the brain are stimulated. No way can that evidence be used to conclude that

"Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another."

I'm sure Benjamin Radford feels high and mighty for debunking that one...

You gotta be fucking kidding me. It's been shown with brain scans that all parts of the brain serve a function. We don't use all parts of our brain for any one function, but each part does serve a purpose. Since you'd rather live in ignorance, I'll save myself the migraine of explaining to you how full of shit you are.

--------------------

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585349 - 08/26/05 08:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
Quote:

Nashbar said:
Did you come up with this yourself?

Quote:

Ravus said:
What's your point?

this is nothing new, read a fucking book or some website about it. thousands of years of this debate, how many people come along and say they've got it figured out? I never said what I believe or argued any point, it's a mute point. There is no answer and there is no conclusion and there certainly is no proof for either side. Just shows peoples ignorance for opening there dumbass mouths.

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585357 - 08/26/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

scientists created life out of amino acids in a lab???? are you serious?

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

#4585359 - 08/26/05 08:18 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

religion is like a bunch of little kids  standing next to a closed door, and none of them have been allowed to see whats on the other side.  Some kids say they dont know, and other say they know because some other kid (who has also never seen whats on the other side) says they know.  In the end its just a bunch of kids who have no clue and wont until they cross the threshold.

In the end, we are just a bunch of humans who have no clue and wont until we cross the threshold.  Anything any religion says is just a little kid pretending/guessing/hoping to know whats on the other side.

Thats just my opinion. :smile:

--------------------

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4585365 - 08/26/05 08:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
you obviously never took any ancient literature or hebrew or ancient near east literature that were taught without any theology. A history class could put some pieces together for you

You obviously never took any of these classes or you went to some religous school in which case your education does not amount to anything....If you really had taken a theology course which you obviously have not you would know that they teach the origin of religions and how they affected history and peoples no Theology course from a good school would try to teach you that the universe was created by a particular deity

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #4585366 - 08/26/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XUL said:
religion isnt about knowing, its about belief. Christianity, you got the bible as a guide and it explains everything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so you have a book of stories written by humans theorizing about how the universe came to be, that is based on nothing but made up stories, and that explains everything? It's written by man, they dont know any better than we do. Tons of other religions have books that "explain everything" too. What if yours is the wrong one?

Quote:

XUL said:
Some of the stories in there seem bogus, but u gotta think, a book that old has probly been changed alot, or misunderstood and then written down wrong in translations, maybe thats why we have so many types of Christians, I dunno."

so then how do you know what to trust in it? If its been so mistranslated then parts of it could be completely wrong and you are blindly following a fairy tale

Quote:

XUL said:
Christianity IMO makes more sense then the damn big bang theory...."

because saying "the universe began with a big explosion" is so incomprehensible compared to just saying "and God created the heavens and the earth"? Really i dont understand either, but at least the big bang is a theory based on detailed observations of the world around us. What is the bible creation story based on??? absolutely nothing. Its just a human saying "well God created it".

Quote:

XUL said:
And anyway,.. I mean think about it, all you have to do is beleive, pray, be a good person, and every once in a while give into some self sacrafice, and you get into heaven. I mean, thats like the best deal ive ever heard. I mean u gott nothin to lose. If you beleive in God when you die, then you will go to heaven, if you dont then you wont go to heaven. Id rather take my chances beleiving.

but where is any proof of any of this other than books written by man speculating this. Just because it sounds easy doesnt mean its true. Just because it sounds nice and pleasing to our human emotions doesnt mean its true. You are saying that you would rather just believe wihtout any sort of evidence at all, rather than actually stop and question and think for yourself, because you're scared of not getting in to heaven? Sounds like they are just controlling your beliefs by your fear to me. But its ok really, as long as they tell you that you are guarenteed into heaven, there is really no need to think deeply about it right? They could never be wrong. They could never be lying to you.......

oh yea...and what if you have the wrong religion. It looks like you are kinda screwed then...

LIKE I SAID in my last post.

Its what I beleive in. If you dont like it, then move on, because picking apart christianity isnt gonna make me change.

thank you very much!
:laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4585376 - 08/26/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang

And what do history classes have to do with knowledge? You think those homo sapiens, thousands of years ago and who didn't even know about the true nature of the solar system or galaxy, somehow created "theories" (with no evidence, data or science supporting them, hence more like myths) that are better than the much more highly developed knowledge and science we have nowadays?

They were primitive people who didn't even know what the stars were; now we can not only gather evidence on the different types of stars, the planets around them, the distance away from us and the elements contained in them, but also observe the actions of the universe, the genetics of life, and using all our knowledge make greater theories about the universe and life than ever before devised. I think I'll stick with knowledge.

We're all simple hairless primates, but modern primates sure contain a hell of a lot more knowlege than those a couple thousand years ago. I would much rather know the mind of Stephen Hawking than of Jesus the Christ or Siddhartha the Buddha.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Re: I have decided [Re: XUL]
    #4585377 - 08/26/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i think that there is something wrong if you wont even stop for a moment to examine your beliefs.

im not trying to force you to change, just to think about a lot of the flaws in it.

this is why i say religion perpetuates ignorance

--------------------

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585378 - 08/26/05 08:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

see, that's a good opinion, contains no "proven" bullshit. using kids to represent gullible followers is neat. they come with their lunch money

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4585385 - 08/26/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Nashbar said:
scientists created life out of amino acids in a lab???? are you serious?

damn dude you really need to go to some remedial reading classes i wrote that the building blocks of life "amino acids" where present this shows that the components of life were there as of yet there is no definitive theory as to the mechanism that brought them together although there are several theories being put out there....but just because science does not have all the answers yet I will remind you that there is ZERO evindence of the existence of a higher being a point which you and your ilk can never seem to get around without using the term faith.........try reading my post a little slower so you can understand them better please

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #4585391 - 08/26/05 08:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Poster: Slipknot420
Subject: Re: I have decided

i there is something wrong if you wont even stop for a moment to examine your beliefs.

im not trying to force you to change, just to think about a lot of the flaws in it.

this is why i say religion perpetuates ignorance

yea, I know what your saying, but then again alot of my beleif has to do with my personal experiences. I mean... most people might not beleive, but I think I have my own proof of God, and thats all I really need. igonorance tho, im really not tho. Im open, most of the time I never go against other peoples religions or thoughts.

yi, but i get u

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585398 - 08/26/05 08:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I did take those course and was sent to a private, religios school. The combination of history, theology and philosophy on top of an engineering PhD education means I can argue any point you want. You perspective is so limited to what you've been exposed to. What do you think Jews or Muslims believe? Billions of people have it wrong and you've got the proof.

OfflineNashbar
Male User Gallery
    #4585403 - 08/26/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"that Amino acids could have been produced on Earth 2 billion years ago this has been proven in the labratory" are you serious?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order