Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Adding water to substrate mid colonization?
    #4577403 - 08/25/05 12:16 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My colonization is coming along and I do have all the patience needed...but since the day of inoculation until now, I've felt as if they should have had more water in the mix.

I used the "updated pf tek formula", with the exception of, no tamping, two tiny melatonin pills (ground up) per jar, and substituting half the brf with quinoa. The spoon I used to scoop the substrate mix did have mix stuck to it, but altogether it never felt really moist.

Never did I see any condensation in the jars and the incubator always felt as if the air was very dry. The first couple of days I kept the incubator at 86 until I was told that the inside of the jars themselves were probably higher and I should keep it closer to 82 or 83 to have the proper inside jar temp.

The mix within the jars has looked dry since day one, and one jar has shown no signs of the bright white mycelia growth and another has only a small amount that probably wouldn't be noticeable in a pic.

I inoculated on the 16th(almost exactly 8 days ago) and the pic below is where I'm at now. (keep in mind that there is some growth on the side of the jars not visible)

The reason for my impatience is due to the fact that I have the "7 days until use" poo on the way.

Q. I guess my question is, if moisture content of my jars can accelerate the colonization and my jars are possibly too dry...is there a method of adding water to the substrate safely?

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Adding water to substrate mid colonization? [Re: Bamaman]
    #4577534 - 08/25/05 12:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nothing is very safe..you increase risk of introducing contaminates..plus the risk of to much water..much harder to fix, and worse..generally leads to contams. You can try and inject sterile water, but I would definatly just leave them and let them go..remember too, mycelium kind of replicates..so the more cells there are (the larger it gets) the faster more cells are made (the quicker it gets bigger). The first half is always much longer, especially with germination of spores.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Adding water to substrate mid colonization? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4578058 - 08/25/05 07:52 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, scatman. Tenn stud site says in one place to use within 4 weeks, and in another place it recommends using within a week. Hopefully that exponential growth will come through without me wasting the poo.

--------------------

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4578102 - 08/25/05 08:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I was in the same boat as you.

For a much longer time. The poo still worked.

See my grow log.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4577962/an/0/page/0

Tenn Studd is some pretty good sheeeit!!!!!!!!

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Adding water to substrate mid colonization? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4579564 - 08/25/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Clutch, nice log. I see you used teacher as well. I am curious how much did you yield off future flushes from that original 5lb? Also, what was your dosage amount?

--------------------

Offlinesardaukar
Stranger
    #4580146 - 08/25/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Last week I added 1-1.5 ml with a syringe to 6 jars that were doing nothing 10 days after being inoculated with LC. In a week they fully colonized.

I microwaved the water for 5 minutes and let it cool for a couple of hours.

I'm no pro but it seem to work well.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4581529 - 08/25/05 08:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Bamaman said:
Clutch, nice log. I see you used teacher as well. I am curious how much did you yield off future flushes from that original 5lb? Also, what was your dosage amount?

Thanks Bro.

So far the 2nd flush is looking horrible. I think I got the best out of the first flush. I haven't dosed yet, but I'll let you know.

damn that sig of yours. lol

I used to have that as my sig for a little while on a message board that I moderated. The others didn't think it was too funny. Guess it wouldn't be as the moderator huh. People were pming me saying "does everyone see my ip address?" lol I just laughed.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: Adding water to substrate mid colonization? [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4581656 - 08/25/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I had that sign bookmarked for awhile and never used it....but I thought it might play on peoples paranoia here so I decided to use it....that doesn't make me evil..does it?

Also sorry to here about your later flushes. any idea what went wrong? Did you rehydrate? This may be a stupid question and I've probably read the answer somewhere but i can't remember....can you dunk a poo cake?

--------------------

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4581733 - 08/25/05 09:32 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

yea, you can dunk a poo cake.

I rehydrated mine pretty well, but I'm still not sure what is going on. I've got some biggies coming up, but only on one edge. I think the casin layer is damaged too much and it might also be that all of the energy was used in the first flush. Like I said, I wasn't even expecting that from this case in the first place.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds