Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Substrates

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Hydroponics Supplies, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: guitarmonkus]
    #6663553 - 03/13/07 02:51 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

guitarmonkus said:
Hey thanks for the replies. I will begin this tek in a couple of days. Since I'm a bit of a novice at this hobby, are there any expected problems with this tek? Has anyone ran across situations using this one that they solved somehow?

It may just be my rye but I get allot less busted kernels with a 20 min simmer and not 45 min

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Blutjager]
    #6663569 - 03/13/07 03:01 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

guitarmonkus said:
Hey thanks for the replies. I will begin this tek in a couple of days. Since I'm a bit of a novice at this hobby, are there any expected problems with this tek? Has anyone ran across situations using this one that they solved somehow?

It may just be my rye but I get allot less busted kernels with a 20 min simmer and not 45 min

I've found that a 1 hour "steep" fully hydrates the kernals with only opening less than 5% of them. As someone might have said in this thread, and definitely another today: make sure your rye looks dry on the outside before loading into jars. If you need to blow-dry them...go right ahead (thanks Agar).

Better to have them come out of the PC a little on the dry side, and have to knock up with more spore solution or LC than to risk bacterial bloom in the long-run.

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

Offlineguitarmonkus
Fungal Padawan
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: RoachMan] * 1
    #6707692 - 03/24/07 11:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

So I'm trying to follow this tek as closely as I can, and I'm having problems finding the hole I punched in the lid for the syringe needle. I placed Tyvek over the lid for a filter, but I'm just stabbing at it trying to find the hole when I try inoculation. Does anyone have suggestions?

--------------------
To be shaken out of the ruts of ordinary perception, to be shown for a few timeless hours the outer and the inner world, not as they appear to an animal obsessed with survival or to a human being obsessed with words and notions, but as they are apprehended, directly and unconditionally, by Mind at Large--this is an experience of inestimable value to everyone and especially to the intellectual. --Aldous Huxley

Offlinemokee
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: ca
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: guitarmonkus]
    #6707720 - 03/24/07 11:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

guitarmonkus said:
So I'm trying to follow this tek as closely as I can, and I'm having problems finding the hole I punched in the lid for the syringe needle. I placed Tyvek over the lid for a filter, but I'm just stabbing at it trying to find the hole when I try inoculation. Does anyone have suggestions?

Mark your spot with a sharpe on the Tyvek over the hole before you secure the filter.

Quote:

I've found that a 1 hour "steep" fully hydrates the kernals with only opening less than 5% of them. As someone might have said in this thread, and definitely another today: make sure your rye looks dry on the outside before loading into jars. If you need to blow-dry them...go right ahead (thanks Agar).

Better to have them come out of the PC a little on the dry side, and have to knock up with more spore solution or LC than to risk bacterial bloom in the long-run.

Thats some good advice! The same as I was giving (useing wheat though) and it worked out wonderful. Steeping is much easier to control than a simmer- and you get the benifits of a simmer. No need to blow dry though just let them drain for a bit. They can drain in open air with no problems. Toss em like pasta in your strainer.

Quote:

.....trying to find the hole ....

Just had to quote that again.

Edited by mokee (03/24/07 11:57 PM)

Offlinezero.kewl
Stranger

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Magash]
    #6738799 - 04/02/07 05:55 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

can u use vermiculite and BRF with this if so is the yield decreased?

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: zero.kewl]
    #6738931 - 04/02/07 06:28 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zero.kewl said:

Yes you can use it, and yes the yields may not be as good. The tek does not wait for the new substrate to fully colonize, he just cases the grains only. You may not have as good of luck doing that with BRF.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6739812 - 04/02/07 09:31 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zero.kewl said:

That completely defeats the point of using grain in the 1st place,brf is for people with out a PC,if you have a pressure cooker use grain and spawn to bulk substrate,you will be glad you did.If you don't have a pressure cooker GET ONE....or make ALLOT of cakes

Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

#6739839 - 04/02/07 09:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

dont u still hav 2 make cakes if ur gonna use grain to spawn 2 bulk substrate? thats casing right? im not sure how all this grain and spawning and casing stuff works.... ive jus dun cakes id like 2 try spawning though....

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: johnnyboy]
    #6739940 - 04/02/07 09:58 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyboy said:
dont u still hav 2 make cakes if ur gonna use grain to spawn 2 bulk substrate? thats casing right? im not sure how all this grain and spawning and casing stuff works.... ive jus dun cakes id like 2 try spawning though....

No,you can crumble cakes and use them as spawn to bulk but the idea is to use your colonized grain in place of the crumbled cakes,you inoculate the rye and wait for it to fully colonize,than break it up into your substrate(Poo,coir,etc...)wait for this to colonize and than apply your casing layer,read this tek beginning to end,its one of the most helpful things on this entire site

Good luck

Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

#6740033 - 04/02/07 10:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

so is it worth it to buy syringes or shud i wait to get sum mushies from my cakes and make prints? also i want to try grain is there any way i can contact ya if i have ne questions besides this forum. thanx

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: johnnyboy]
    #6740068 - 04/02/07 10:23 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyboy said:
so is it worth it to buy syringes or shud i wait to get sum mushies from my cakes and make prints? also i want to try grain is there any way i can contact ya if i have ne questions besides this forum. thanx

This tek explains exactly how to make syringes. If you have some mushrooms that are about to finish up, then it would be a waste of money to buy syringes. Just be sterile while you make them, and everything will be A OK.

You can contact me via AIM at Bleh Maestro if you have questions. Just make sure you address yourself, and please, from now on take the time to spell out words correctly. If you don't know how to spell, I assume you don't know how to read, and if you don't know how to read you won't be too successful in this hobby.

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Loc: In the depths of my own m...
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6740902 - 04/03/07 02:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I noticed u like Lifesaver Mag. Here's a few nugs; not the purp pheno but the grape/bluberry pheno. Super fruity meds. Super nice thread btw. be well

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority

The awakening comes in blur of light. Never leaving the veil of night. Enlightened now i feel alive. Finally my mind can grow and strive

Offlinezero.kewl
Stranger

Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: BurntByTheSun13]
    #6741587 - 04/03/07 11:52 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hey im growin that right now!! kick ass

Offlinezero.kewl
Stranger

#6741609 - 04/03/07 11:59 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

all respect intended here.. Ive been growing plants for along time... I'm sure shrooms are way different but how does the growing media have that much to do with end results???? i mean if I'm growing an ak/blueberry pheno and i use dwc hydroponic ill get a better result than with soil yes. but if its down to just rockwool and soil id think the nutes would be what makes um grow well.... as well with heat, light, humidity and your strain??? i should stfu i know hehehe

thanks

Edited by zero.kewl (04/03/07 12:01 PM)

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6741617 - 04/03/07 12:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zero.kewl said:
all respect intended here.. Ive been growing plants for along time... I'm sure shrooms are way different but how does the growing media have that much to do with end results???? i mean if I'm growing an ak/blueberry pheno and i use dwc hydroponic ill get a better result than with soil yes. but if its down to just rockwool and soil id think the nutes would be what makes um grow well.... as well with heat, light, humidity and your strain??? i should stfu i know hehehe

thanks

Mushies use nutes too, mostly nitrogen. However, you don't get to feed em anything but plain water during their life cycle, so you must choose substrate that has a balanced nutrition for the mushrooms. Rye is the best grain, and poo is the best bulk substrate.

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6741892 - 04/03/07 01:49 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BlehMaestro said:
Quote:

zero.kewl said:

thanks

Mushies use nutes too, mostly nitrogen. However, you don't get to feed em anything but plain water during their life cycle, so you must choose substrate that has a balanced nutrition for the mushrooms. Rye is the best grain, and poo is the best bulk substrate.

Isn't optimized compost the best substrate?

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: StroFun]
    #6818620 - 04/22/07 12:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

so there's no point trying this tek if you don't have a PC?

nvm, got the answer. the jar will have to be boiled once a day for 30 minutes and this has to go on for three days.

--------------------

Edited by Bridgeburner (04/22/07 12:18 PM)

InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6818761 - 04/22/07 12:46 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:

nvm, got the answer. the jar will have to be boiled once a day for 30 minutes and this has to go on for three days.

Yeah, much easier to just buy a pressure cooker than to waste all that time on something that MIGHT work.

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: RoachMan]
    #6818925 - 04/22/07 02:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RoachMan said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:

Yeah, much easier to just buy a pressure cooker than to waste all that time on something that MIGHT work.

assume for a minute that everyone isn't living in the U.S. and PC's are expensive and hard to find. if you are able to do that.

--------------------

InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye bitches RYE !!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6818976 - 04/22/07 02:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

b0red5tiff said:
Quote:

RoachMan said:
Quote:

b0red5tiff said:

assume for a minute that everyone isn't living in the U.S. and PC's are expensive and hard to find. if you are able to do that.

Maybe stick with PF cakes? You could do 3 sets of jars...instead of boiling the same jars 3 times.

Plus, PF cakes can produce some quality fruits, and can produce even more when casing them.

You will also get more reliable, more consistent results than by using fractional sterilization.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Hydroponics Supplies, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Substrates