Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Excerpt from "The Mission of Art" by Alex Grey
    #4576305 - 08/24/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Today I got amazingly stoned and went into Barnes and Noble, and picked up this book and read the first 30 pages. I can feel my life changing already, seriously. This paragraph is...it's just IT.

Quote:

How can one claim that human consciousness is evolving and going in a transpersonal direction when the twentieth century has witnessed such distressing carnage? Let us also remember that the twentieth century has been the time of great liberation movements, recognition of racial and sexual discrimination, and awakening ecological awareness. Although human greed, hatred, and ignorance have led us to the current crisis of our overpopulated and polluted world, the question is, Can enough individuals personally awaken to a reverence for life, and then, through their creative actions and interventions, redirect the tendency of society away from self-destruction? When people stare death in the face, they begin to question the direction and motivation of their lives, their worldview, and their priorities. There is greater potentioal now for people to realize our fragile gobal interdependence and access interpersonal truth. In the twentieth century we see the common features of the world's great wisdom traditions pointing toward ethically responsible action. The avilability of these teachings lends support to the activation of human spiritual potential. The exoteric dogmas that separate world religions are not the shared esoteric truths at the core of these traditions. At the core is a concern for the common good and loving-kindness based in the unshakable knowledge of our deep unity with each other and the cosmos.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Excerpt from "The Mission of Art" by Alex Grey [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4576314 - 08/24/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Nice. I'll have to check this book out when I get a chance.

Male

Re: Excerpt from "The Mission of Art" by Alex Grey [Re: DNKYD]
    #4576318 - 08/24/05 09:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Unfortunately for Alex Grey, you will find it relegated to the :shake: New Age :shake: section.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineBanJankri
FreefallerUpwards

#4576341 - 08/24/05 09:58 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I also read bits from this book at the library. Its definetly a very interesting book. I'd like to read it all one day.

--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4576581 - 08/24/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The other week I went to B&N and looked for that exact book but I couldn't find it :frown:

I'm glad you liked it, Alex Grey is quite the individual.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4576797 - 08/24/05 11:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, that's deep. Thanks for sharing Robot.
It's like he's saying that it takes a life-changing event (death or impending extinction) to awaken the realization that we are alive and meant to do great things. We need an interruption to recognize our true direction. I've been thinking about this lately. And I'll continue to think about this.

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

Male

#4578916 - 08/25/05 02:42 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Bump plus an excerpt from the Foreword:

Quote:

Alex Grey might be the most significant artist alive. In a world gone postmodern, bereft of meaning and value, cut loose on a sea of irony and indifference, Alex is taking a stunning stand: There is a God, there is Spirit, there is a transcendental ground and goal of human development and unfolding. Higher realities are available to us - that is the message of Alex Grey's art and words in this book. He has set himself the extraordinary task of depicting, in art, these higher truths and here encourages all artists to find their own unique means of serving art's abiding mission.

This is art in its original and highest meaning: the subjective revelation of Spirit. When an artist is alive to the spiritual domains, he or she can depict and convey those domains in artistic rendering, which wrestles Spirit into matter and attempts to speak through that medium. When great artists do so, the artwork then reminds us of our own higher possibilities, our own deepest nature, our own most profound ground, which we all are invited to rediscover. The purpose of truly transcendent art is to express something you are not yet, but that you can become.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#4578938 - 08/25/05 02:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

'The purpose of truly transcendent art is to express something you are not yet, but that you can become.'

wowzers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub