Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Loc: The universe
Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics
    #4574875 - 08/24/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey gang,

Well my lawn is a fruiting ground for pann subbs.  It's been dry here lately and haven't had any rain for a week or two.  So I turned on my sprinkler in a patch of productive lawn for a few hours during the night last night and was heavily rewarded.

Here's some pics.

An overview

A small cluster, these were everywhere!

The full harvest

A closer look

Gills

I have so many, so spore printing all of them is kind of out of the question.  I may have some foes in here and I'm not interesting in frying with diarhea. 

I read Gumby's (very helpful) page on distinguishing subbs and foes, but there seems to be a lot of "gray area" with these.  I've picked subbs before that contradicted all of that information page (except for spore prints) as well as subbs that followed it to the word.  I know Gumby is from the SouthEast, and I'm from the PNW, so maybe this would by why?  :confused:
Subbs come in many shapes/colors/sizes/locations so I know it can be difficult to tell without a spore print.

I'm workin on a few spore prints of suspected foes and subbs, but I just started them, so I'll post them later. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: Blek]
    #4574886 - 08/24/05 03:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

that looks cool, but be careful. :thumbup:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: rod]
    #4575223 - 08/24/05 04:41 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Number one distinction would be specimen size, Number two would be cap shape foes being more bell shaped and subbs planing out. I've seen both with dark belts around the margin but subbs are much more distinct. I find lots of subbs in the spring on wintered bails of straw, I see why they sometimes call it a weed. Foes always in the grasses.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: hyphae]
    #4575307 - 08/24/05 05:12 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Just as a note from my experience:

What the above poster said is completely false for where I hunt. Size and cap shape are the two things which are ignored when hunting for subbs in my area. Around me, its usually the gills and stems that help give it away. I think it is different throughout the country.

I don't even bother printing anymore either. It takes a VERY VERY long time to print them all, when you have 500+ to print. I have no reaction to foes, and have eaten a good 40 of them with no stomach problems. In the end, even when I was printing, I found it very hard to find foes. As a matter of fact there was a week or two period where I TRIED to find foes and just couldn't. Finally did find a patch of four not too long ago though.

In general, from what I have seen from this board, subbs are a pain in the ass. They are different all over the place, and even within your area. I know about those grey area ones you talk about, I see a ton of em. I say for awhile, even though it will be a pain, print very close to if not all of the ones you find. Find out what seperates foes from subbs in your area, and then go from there. Once you get to 99%+ accuarcy without a print, then stop printing Id say. Im usually around 99.5% accurate in telling the difference where I live.

Just my two cents at least.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4576220 - 08/24/05 09:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Very nice  :thumbup:
Them are some meaty ass stems man!
Good discussion, too. I'm agreeing with what's been said, with a side note on caps. IMO, that's the first big give away, in pic 2 and 4, when you look at the cap from the top, see that the caps are not round. In foes, the caps will be nice and round.
Also, in the 5 pic, you can see the stems fatten up toward the cap, and the spiral striations.
Is that bluing :eek: and that other little specimen, man, that is a meaty little motha :tongue2:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4576352 - 08/24/05 10:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still a little confused. I can't really just base the species simply by shape, because both species can come in many shapes, the same goes for appearance and the ring on the cap. Older subbs lose their ring, while foes have a lighter ring to begin with. Anyways, I'll probably just end up printing as many as I can of the questionable ones and not print to for sure subbs. Also, I've heard mixed reports on the ingestion of foes. Will eating them do any harm?

Thanks

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4576531 - 08/24/05 10:50 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

eating foes will not do you harm. you would need a great deal of foes to get diahreaa from them.

OfflineSnakemanj7
Friend of theForest
Loc: Alberta
Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4576562 - 08/24/05 10:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Wow nice finds, but are you sure any of those are subbalteatus? Mushroom John says that subbs don't grow on lawns.
P.S. I've eaten buttloads of foes with no noticeable effects, either negative or positive.

--------------------
...a splendid time is guaranteed for all

Edited by Snakemanj7 (08/24/05 10:57 PM)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: Snakemanj7]
    #4576585 - 08/24/05 11:00 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

those are subbs. ya best print them all to decipher them though. theres possibly some foes in there.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

#4576708 - 08/24/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've eaten plenty of Foes myself with no effect except once I ate 30-40 of them and not sure if it was the Foes but I got one hell of a headache. Subbs around here grow quite larger than Foes and on different substrates as well.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4577147 - 08/25/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

foes wouldn't give you a headache. maybe you inner conciousness was laughing at your decision so loud that it made the screws and bolts rattle around up there.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

#4577363 - 08/25/05 02:04 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Cool, thanks a lot guys.  And yes snakeman, I'm sure most of these are subbs, if not all.  I have taken subbs from my lawn before.  My sprinkler has become my new best friend :laugh:

Glad to know that foes aren't harmful.  There's a lot of misinformation out around on the net. 

I've noticed that most of the subbs (about 90%) grow in a 15' x 60' stretch of my lawn.  If I water it too often with my sprinkler, say twice a week or so, will I risk using up all the nutrients, and lose such a big harvest?

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

#4577708 - 08/25/05 04:02 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Update: I took a few prints of a few that looked the most suspicious and the spore prints turned out jet black :laugh:

So looks like I'm gonna have a fun weekend. 

By the way, how many mid-sized subbs should I take for a high level trip.  Last time and the only time I ate subbs was a few weekends ago and I only ate about 20.  I had about a level 1.5 - 2 trip.  So I should take around 40 maybe? That sounds like a lot though.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4577850 - 08/25/05 05:38 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

They are equal in potency as cubensis in dry weight. If you are eating them dry the dose will be easier to figure out. YOU do the math. When I eat subbs, I dont go less than about 50-60 caps, but dry that isn't very much at all.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

#4578116 - 08/25/05 10:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
foes wouldn't give you a headache. maybe you inner conciousness was laughing at your decision so loud that it made the screws and bolts rattle around up there.

Naw if anything it may have been a ferted lawn LOL. When I was young I did alot of experimenting from banana peel scrapings to snorting nutmeg the Foes were just apart of that experience. Like Jimmy said theres nothing like experience good or bad. :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineSnakemanj7
Friend of theForest
Loc: Alberta
    #4579290 - 08/25/05 03:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Hey that's really awesome man, congratulations! I am really envious! This gives me hope - maybe I can find a lawn full of subbs one day.
Enjoy your trip bro :wink:

--------------------
...a splendid time is guaranteed for all

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #4579834 - 08/25/05 04:23 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Given the thickness of the stems, spacing of the gills(close), and spore prints... my best guess would be subbs. If they turn out to be an inactive Panaeolus, expect some diarrhea. Even if they are active, expect some diarrhea. Always happens to me with Pans.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Best lawn on the block! Today's find with pics [Re: Gumby]
    #4583677 - 08/26/05 01:17 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Another update:

Well, me and my friend ate some subbs yesterday and went into the woods.  I had the mushrooms at another friend's house in his minifridge for about a day.  I wasn't aware of how cold his fridge was set to.  When I pulled the mushrooms out, they were frozen.  Not frozen solid, but it looked as if they had just begun to freeze. :frown:

We put them in the sun for like 10- 15 mins and then ate them.  I ate 30 subbs and my friend only ate 18-20 as he was skeptical and said he couldn't handle the taste any longer (the freezing did make them much worse tasting).  Anyways, we got up into this beautiful location in the forest and I started to trip. Hard.  It was a high level 4 trip.  I was having a very good time, very spritual at times, while my friend felt close to nothing.  He was in the "in between stage" of tripping and being sober.  Last time I took subbs, I ate only about 15 and had a level 2 trip.  This seems odd that he didn't trip at all.  He hadn't tripped in 3 weeks, while I had tripped only a week and a half prior.  I felt bad, sorta, but I was having one of my best trips ever so that didn't last long. 
Anyways, I still have a lot of subbs from my first harvest but they're still in the minifridge at my friend's house ( I turned the cooling intensity down to a reasonable level).  They had gotten a little slimy, but a lot of them were still in good shape.  I realize I have probably lost a bit of potency because of this.  I think the best way to go about ingesting the rest of them would be to make tea with the rest?  Beats eating slimy mushrooms.

Also, I think I'm going to look for a dehydrator at a thrift store today, or maybe I'll hit the pawn shops too.  Would it be better to leave the mushrooms (some slimy, some not) in the fridge or just dry them, even after the freezing incident? 

My sprinkler came through for me last night again :laugh:    and I got another big flush this morning.  I have so many subbs now, I don't know what to do with em!  Hopefully I can find a dehydrator for really cheap as I only have $25.00 to my name right now.  Bah, gas is so expensive.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4583715 - 08/26/05 01:28 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

so many subbs now, I don't know what to do with em!

When my patch was fruiting ^

I was finding about 2 pounds a week.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4583724 - 08/26/05 01:33 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I believe freezing and unfreezing breaks the cell barriers, as the teks for extracting most alkaloids states. But it shouldn't have effected the potency very much if any. Along time ago when I was in high school, me and one of my buddies used to go pick subbs from a patch, and the temps around when they fruit is so cold that the frost on the top of my shoes was frozen. We would walk to school every morning eating subb popsicles ^_^ and spend the rest of the day with a nice level 2 or 3. Nice finds, glad to see your lawns producing something worthwhile.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Dehydrator, Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification