Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWile
Stranger
Green mold in my fruiting tray!?! Help!
    #4574822 - 08/24/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, I followed this guide to the letter: http://www.shroomwizard.com/growguide.html

I bought a Mexican spore syringe from http://www.micro-supply.com/

Everything went well up to now. My jars were GREAT, not a single bit of mold growing other than that beautiful mycelium. I put 3 jars into a big tray, then left it closed for a week like the guide said.
Well when I opened my tray up everything looked great. Just white mold on the top. But now 3 days later when I looked at my tray, the top of the soil had a bunch of green mold/lichen stuff growing on it as well as the white shroom mold.
Any idea what that might be? Am I going to have to trash my project or will my shrooms still be edible?

I didn't get a chance to put the top soil in the oven before I planted, but the rest of the stuff I did. You figure that's where I messed up?

*edit* I can post pictures later if anyone thinks that would help

Edited by Wile (08/24/05 02:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Green mold in my fruiting tray!?! Help! [Re: Wile]
    #4574834 - 08/24/05 02:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I didn't get a chance to put the top soil in the oven before I planted, but the rest of the stuff I did. You figure that's where I messed up?

ADDITION #5: This step is not necessary but it could help you have a better chance of harvesting a nice crop. The soil that you will be using in your fruiting trays can easily be sterilized by spreading it onto a cookie sheet and baking it in an oven at 325 degrees for 15 minutes before you add the vermiculite and water to it. By doing this you will kill any contaminates that could be hiding in it from when you purchased it. Remember, sterility is always important when cultivating mushrooms of any kind. By taking the extra time to be careful you could possibly be saving yourself from losing everything to a foreign contaminate attack.

A scetchy guide.. but..

Yes, I can pretty much say that is your problem. Though that guide has you sterilize the caseing at a high temp w/o water... I could see where it can work, but at good as other methods. You linked to the tek that you didn't follow all the way, and in the last steps it got ya. (just like I did with my first caseings :P)

Edited by Civ (08/24/05 03:00 PM)

Offlinekingfish4200
shroom diddy

Re: Green mold in my fruiting tray!?! Help! [Re: Civ]
    #4574924 - 08/24/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

if you want a good tek look at the ones here on the site

--------------------
"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey

Offlinemycomatt024
Stranger
Re: Green mold in my fruiting tray!?! Help! [Re: kingfish4200]
    #4575293 - 08/24/05 05:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

hi ive gotten the green meanie on my compost before and i saved it by just puting hydrogen peroxide on it to try to keep it from spreading to other parts of the substrate

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation