Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip
    #1789999 - 08/07/03 08:10 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Howdy all,

I've tripped about 15-20 times in my life, and my last trip was what I believe to be very close to a level 5, but of course I can not be sure.

The idea of a dark room trip is intriguing to me. The fact that I am an avid music listener and musician just makes it seem more tempting. However, I have never done it! I have never taken mushrooms alone, and I think that I would not want my sober friends around during this experience (would probably take place at a friend's house).

I was looking for some advice/tips on how I can make this really interesting, and also if you guys could give me a heads up on what to expect during this. Any advice on dosage would be good too, my last trip was about 5-7g dried.

Thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: Euphoria]
    #1790154 - 08/07/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

quiet darkness.
comfortable bed.

empty stomach.
meditate - clear your head so that the mushroom can enter & release their spores into your psyche.

bring some level of respect to the experience. fast. burn some sage. chant. whatever prepares you.

"turn the magic on - then step back" no music or eyecandy or walking around. let the mushroom really come out.

tripsitters are always a good idea. They dont need to be in the same room. Perhaps place a Tibetan bell near your bed...and if you need anything, just ring it. No tripguides or gurus or anything with agenda.

I also recommend syrian rue.

Dose later in the evening - trip through the darkness and enter the new dawn.

good luck. memory is the key.

OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: iglou]
    #1790308 - 08/07/03 09:20 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent advice, thank you very much.

So I should go with no music at all then? Wouldn't music aid in a visual experience? And by doing this, will I see objects in the darkness around me, or just "feel" it, you know?

Thanks again.

Offlinefakee
Stranger
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: Euphoria]
    #4572758 - 08/23/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Why do you recomend a sitter?? is there dangers to closing your eyes and trippin..like coma or a seizer or anythin?

Invisibleboeha
explorer

Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: fakee]
    #4572924 - 08/23/05 09:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Eum; I've tried that darkroom high-dosage tripping once...

It became my worst nightmare ever ; never take the shrooms for granted. I realized that night that you have to be totally ready; because once your ego has started to turn on you, there really isn't an easy way out, and you'll have to bite the bullet then..

So yes, a sitter is really advised; just for the sake of seeing some human form again to remind yourself that you've just taken a drug and that you'll be normal in a few hours.

But if all goes well and you are prepared; a dark room is the perfect setting for breathtaking visuals. Since there isn't an actual reference to daily reality, your visuals tend to really boost themselves towards deeper significance and meaning.

As stated: concentrate on breathing and meditation; it makes the trip much more easier.
Whenever you start to think too much -> meditate some more until you've forgotten how to think.

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Edited by boeha (08/23/05 09:42 PM)

OfflineGreenOsiris
Stranger

Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: boeha]
    #4573741 - 08/24/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I do a pitch black room with no windows and I cover the bottom of the door with a towel so that no light can get in. It happens to be my bathroom so sometimes I will sit there, sometimes I will sit in the bath with warm water and float- it is usually the best part of my trips. I almost always have music to aid the experience but I usually only go about level 3, but have definitely had some OBE and very intense visuals. It is so much like a dream it's unreal. Gotta go pitch black though IMO :cool:

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: GreenOsiris]
    #4573868 - 08/24/05 03:08 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You could always use a night mask for the eyes - that way if it gets too intense you can just take it off. Also saves the effort of having to block out every last scrap of light.

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #4574013 - 08/24/05 06:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Music would be nice, but not if you want the total dark room experience because then music would only be a distraction and the whole trp would be about the music. Now, that would actually be a totally different trip to experience right there, but to really go deep inside your mind, make sure you have no outside stimuli.

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4574543 - 08/24/05 11:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Dark rooms are my favourite types of trip! :smile:
I normally don't entirely block out light, just have a few things glowing (LED's on computer, etc.).  It doesn't matter too much because most of the time I have my eyes closed anyway.  If you're into music, it's a really awesome experience.  Try planning a six hour playlist of music that you want to "experience".  Do lots of preparation and then go solo!  Start the playlist and eat the shrooms at the same time.  Then just sit back or lie down, relax and enjoy! :smile:

I can post the guidelines I use for creating solo trip playlists if you're interested.

OfflineDemonaicBlessing
PsychedelicSatan

Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: TurricaN]
    #4574632 - 08/24/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Please do.

--------------------
It took ten times a hundred years,
Before the king on the northern throne,
Was brought tales of the crucified one.

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
    #4574805 - 08/24/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yes yes, please do, I would be very interested in that too :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: DemonaicBlessing]
    #4574806 - 08/24/05 12:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, here it is.  I won't say that this will work for everyone, because I'm not everyone, but it's been the basis for my most successful and enjoyable trips.

What I tend to do is design the playlist as a series of well defined phases of the trip.  I put a lot of work into carefully choosing appropriate music.  It shouldn't be rushed through in an hour or two.  Take your time.  Try listening to a lot of music that you might not often listen to over the course of a couple of weeks prior to the trip, as you'll often find something that just clicks and you'll think "That would be GREAT whilst tripping!".  Make notes on which tracks you want to experience during.  Six hours for me usually equates to about 70-90 tracks in total, but I usually end up with more than that, and end up eliminating some in the selection process.

Below I detail the phases of the trip.  I don't want to get too specific in terms of genres, artists or tracks, since people have such a wide variety of tastes in music.  Only you can decide precisely what will work for you.

"Mood setting phase" (45-60 minutes): Upbeat, happy, energetic music.  The idea is to inspire confidence and reduce nervousness.  The very first track should inspire most confidence and a full ego (A feeling of "Come on!  Bring on the trip!").  The mood of the music should then gradually shift to a lighter, happier, more peaceful and less egotistical side; a peak track ending the phase should be one of the happiest, most upbeat songs you know or can find (something to think of that will remind me how happy you can be if the trip starts to go bad later).  I usually choose something that sounds full or that carries a message (whether in the lyrics or just a feeling from the music) that assures me all will go well.

"Letting go phase" (45-60 minutes): The music should gradually decline.  That is, tracks that gradually get slower, more serious, more intense, more simple, deeper, lonelier, such that it gives a sense of leaving the place that you're in.  The last track of this phase is usually quiet and extremely slow and perhaps somewhat tense (but not too scary or weird, and it should be interesting too).  The point here is that you will may feel nervous, but knowing that the peak phase is approaching shortly will be a very reassuring thought.

"Peak phase" (90-120 minutes): Should be something quiet, relaxing, hypnotic, simple, long, perhaps repetitive, but not in such a way that it will get annoying.  Actually, this is your opportunity to experience the music at it's fullest intensity, so you should use this phase to listen to the tracks that you're most interested in hearing.  The first track of this phase is important; it should be something you can easily let go into.  It will make the contrasting sense of moving from the tense transitional phase to this phase all the more enjoyable.  I usually throw in a single, famaliar upbeat track in the middle somewhere just for a bit of variation.  Not something that will break the mood of the phase, but something with a little bit more "life" than the rest.

"Coming home phase" (10-20 minutes): This phase isn't entirely necessary, but I use it for effect.  I normally use something repetitive, serious, something that induces a feeling of intense travel (through space, time, or wherever you have been on your trip) or movement from one place to another.  I don't really know how to describe it, but if you know "Pink Floyd - On The Run (from Dark Side of The Moon)", well, that's about the right idea (although I've never used that particular track).

"Welcome Home phase" (30-45 minutes): Something warm, inviting, familiar, cosy, perhaps nostalgic if you like.  I tend to use this phase to throw a two or three tracks in that I may not ordinarily listen to whilst tripping, just to see how they work (with regards to preparation for the next trip :smile:).  The first track of this should inspire a feeling of emerging or arriving back into "this world" again.

"Background phase": The remainder of the music tends to be things that I would normally filter out as being background noise.  Nothing serious, neither positive nor negative, only neutral sounding, not intrusive or annoying, but not too interesting.  I tend to use this phase to think about a lot of things and / or record my thoughts on my MP3 player rather than focusing my attention on the music.  The music only serves to complement and promote thought.

"Preparation for sleep phase" (10-20 minutes): A few tracks to set things in the direction of sleep.  Something happy, upbeat and relaxing, but not fast or loud.  I've used tracks that sound like things that you might here when the credits are rolling at the end of a happy movie or videogame.

Well, there you have it.  Hope this is useful or interesting to someone. :smile:

Edited by TurricaN (08/24/05 12:51 PM)

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
    #4574818 - 08/24/05 12:49 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fuckin eh, great post TurricaN  :thumbup:
:mushroom2: for you :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #4575553 - 08/24/05 04:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

theorganicdomino said:
You could always use a night mask for the eyes - that way if it gets too intense you can just take it off. Also saves the effort of having to block out every last scrap of light.

I have used them, but they are only good for closed eye visuals. If you are open eye in a pitch black room it is a different effect.
Unless you have some special sleeping mask that you can open your eyes with. You could paint swimming goggles or a diving mask black I suppose, but it is intrusive.

I have sound isolating headphones, shure e3c , they are very good, so comfortable you can sleep with them on, they are like earplugs blocking out any background noise

Offlinefakee
Stranger
Re: Preparing for a Dark/Closed Eye Trip [Re: blackout]
    #4576246 - 08/24/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Nice post those are some really good tips

Edited by fakee (08/24/05 07:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags