Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

Terranuim Troubles
    #4574045 - 08/24/05 07:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all
I have a 1m aquaruim setup. I had about 6" of water in the bottom with a fish tank heater heating the water. Had an airstone to give air and add humidity. My prob is that humidity was at 99% and I dont know how to lower that without lowering temp. What iv'e done now is replaced the water with damp perlite and added a light in the lid to raise temps, but humidity is still too high!! I'm busy colonising pan cyans and want the temp to be 25C and humidity between 82-92. Any help pls?!!?

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: Pixie1420]
    #4574055 - 08/24/05 07:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

well, first off, you never want standing water at the bottom of your terrarium...it was good that you switched to perlite. And too much humidity is better than not enough. I have grown in that humidity range and have had good results.

If you still want to lower humidity, increase your fresh air exchange, or leave the top off of your terrarium for about 5 min 3x's a day or so. another way to do it, is to not close your lid 100%, this will let some of that humididty escape.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4574081 - 08/24/05 07:56 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that you have to worry too much about the RH during colonization. During fruiting is when it comes into play.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: FooMan]
    #4574084 - 08/24/05 07:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No no, i'm colonising in another chamber, i'm just trying to get my fruiting chamber perfect before I fruit in it.

--------------------
La vita Bella!

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4574091 - 08/24/05 08:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

also srg, have u grown pan cyans in that humidity range? I think they a bit more fussy than cubes from what I hear. If I leave the lid a bit off then I'm worried bout contams... And y dont u want water in the bottom? I was gonna mix it with hydrogen peroxide.

--------------------
La vita Bella!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4574097 - 08/24/05 08:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Pixie1420 said:
No no, i'm colonising in another chamber, i'm just trying to get my fruiting chamber perfect before I fruit in it.

"Oh!" says Foo after taking his foot out of his mouth. For the contam question, just use polyfill for the gap on the lid. :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4574117 - 08/24/05 08:29 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Pixie1420 said:
also srg, have u grown pan cyans in that humidity range? I think they a bit more fussy than cubes from what I hear. If I leave the lid a bit off then I'm worried bout contams... And y dont u want water in the bottom? I was gonna mix it with hydrogen peroxide.

Yes, I have grown cyans in that range. Cyans are a Lot more fussy than cubes, but I think you'll be fine. As long as you are clean, do not worry about getting contams. I have done that many times in the past. When the humidity was too high, I just put the lid on off center and left like .5" open. this really helped lower humididty by at least 3-5%. The thing you have to worry about then is the casing getting too dry, so you'll have to keep an eye on it if you do that.....but I would not worry about those humidity levels all that much. I know they are fussy, but like I said, I have done it in that range and have been fine.

and no, you don't want standing water in your terrarium, even with h202 imo. then you are just begging for problems. stick to perlite. The reason you are having such humidity problems now, is due to having all that water in there. Once it "wicks" off the perlite and you keep up your FAE, it will lower.

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4574184 - 08/24/05 08:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Cool thanks, by the by what is "FAE"? Anyhoo with the perlite things are looking up.. temp is slowly rising and humidity is at 93%. Bout the water, I now have a small container with an H20 and h202 mix. This is just big enough to submerge an airstone which bubbles air 4 times a day (just for air excahnge). This OK?
Thanks for ya help so far!!

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4574237 - 08/24/05 09:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fresh Air Exchange <<<IMPORTANT FOR PAN CYANS

Also remember, wet feet dry heads (moist substrate and casing layer when they pin so you STOP misting after they pin.

Bubbling 4 times a day is no good for the air exchange...try 4 times an HOUR...leave it on constantly. And STANDING water is no good, water with an air stone in it, isnt standing very still is it? Its the stagnant water that lets things grow, with a bubbler, its much less of a problem. Just change the water often and use alot of h202. I still wouldnt put standing water..unless your talking a jar filled with water or something..but I'd just put hydroton in the bottom, with the air stone under it, and water. Perlite would work too. Good luck!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4574261 - 08/24/05 09:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanx scatman, will put some hydroton ontop of the airstone with LOTS of h2o2. I didmt want the air pump on all the time cause it bubbles water into the air, raising humidity. But with the hydroton covering it, it should be good? Also pls read my post bout dry jars, need some input. Thanks alot man!

--------------------
La vita Bella!

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4574267 - 08/24/05 09:19 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hehe, u beat me too it! thanks

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4574308 - 08/24/05 09:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Humidity is fine, you want good humidity, you want to increase the fresh air exchange though..high humidity+high FAE=good transpiration. If your humidity reaches above 90-95% after pins form, you can drop humidity, by adding a hole or leaving the lid cracked. Nothing bad will go in, because the air pump will be on all the time creating positive air flow out of the holes. You wont need much either, just a bit to let gases and some humidity to excape. Prior to pinning though, you want to keep lots of fresh air with 95% humidity, anywhere from 90-99% pre pinning is fine, after pinning 85-90% is good, 95% might be ok too. You wont want to mist at all, so humidity will be somewhat important. The casing will look like its drying out and will start shrinking too...dont worry about it and dont mist..you can dunk the casing after to add water back.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4574340 - 08/24/05 09:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, shot. There is a hole in the lid already, but Ive filled it with polyfil, will that let humidity out? Also i dont want to tamper much when I put them into the fruiting chamber, so wanna get everything perfect now.

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4574358 - 08/24/05 10:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

No it wont...but thats good for now..you need to tamper with the chamber, since you need to drop humidity once pins form (slightly)..1-4 holes, in the lid and/or sides..stuffed with polyfil is great. That keeps in humidity, while allowing gases to excape..then you can pull polyfill out of as many holes as it takes to drop humidity once pinning starts..so maybe leave 2 holes (maybe only 1, maybe 3, maybe all 4) with nothing covering them, to allow humidity to escape.

--------------------

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4574362 - 08/24/05 10:14 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Cool thanks. What is optimum humidity for both stages?

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4574392 - 08/24/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Optimum for before pins, is about 95%, 90-99 is fine though. After pins, 85 is optimal (some may even say 80) but 80-95% works. Lower humidity increases transpiration a bit, basically the air pulls water from the substrate, through the mushrooms, which is trapped, making them get larger and more solid at a slightly lower humidity then drowning, but still very humid (by our breathing standards), and lots of fresh air. That also is better for bigger caps (bigger prints), and better spore drops. If you have success, print them ALL.

--------------------

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4574413 - 08/24/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you! will be in touch i'm sure!

--------------------
La vita Bella!

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

#4577809 - 08/25/05 03:03 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Ok ive done some adaptions and now I took all the perlite out and put it in containers. I'm testing how many containers it will take to get the humidity to pre pin levels, then to post pin levels. Then I'll just take out the desired amount of containers when I see pins. One more thing do u think its ok to have my air coming in only being filtered through polyfil?
Thanks

--------------------
La vita Bella!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4577925 - 08/25/05 05:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

polyfill should be sufficient, I usualy put a light coat of WD-40 on it to trap more particles

OfflinePixie1420
Gro'r nProgress
 User Gallery

Re: Terranuim Troubles [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4578030 - 08/25/05 07:36 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Intersting... What I've done now tho, is got a little tub of water just big enough to hold an airstone and my fish tank heater. I put some h202 in there to keep it clean. The tub is sealed exept for a 3" diameter hole to let air out. This regulates temp and allows AE. Got tiny tub of perlite for humidity. Still running tests to get it all in sync. :smile:

--------------------
La vita Bella!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags